1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender kills lacquer finish? An Obituary

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bravescoob, Jul 26, 2019.

1. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

The first Road Worn Tele I picked up got me into Fender; it was comfortable but had personality, sounded clear but full, and looked like a custom shop or vintage for a quarter of the cost... sadly, these days are gone. Fender's new (but trying to be old kinda) "Vintera" series has been unleashed, sporting vintage frets, vintage board radii, vintage neck profiles, vintage hardware... but not the beloved vintage finish (lacquer). To add insult to injury, they've cut regular production on every affordable lacquer option in the lineup. Why? Probably because it is cheaper to offer only one, and much of the customer base would be outraged for some reason if their guitar paint wore a bit. Let's be honest though, poly does chip, and when it does it looks and feels awful. Conversely, when lacquer wears, in many players' eyes it enhances the guitar in both look and feel. Does lacquer make the guitar sound significantly better? Probably not. Does 'vintage correct' have to be 100%? No, but to name a series "Vintera" and have no vintage lacquer finish is a bit misleading (even though maybe some 50s or 60s guitars had poly). Does everyone prefer lacquer? No, and that is fine. However, should there at least be affordable options for those who do? I sure hope so. Until then, us lacquer lovers will have to snag limited editions, or just build our own from third parties. I surely will be on the lookout for future lacquer options- they just feel like home.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Vintera is not "new" in anything but name and a few details and models. It's the same line as what was the Classic Series...which only recently included a "lacquer" option for a few years. It existed for some time before that was added for a few years. And poly finished reissues have been made continuously since the '80s, either in Japan or Mexico, so there is nothing strange about that. Lacquer is the exception on Fender's import reissues, not the norm.

Lacquer finishes have traditionally only been used on higher end Fenders since the '80s, which is when the Vintage Series U.S.A.-made reissues started being made. Highway Ones, Road Worns, and most recently, Classic Lacquers are their mid-level lacquer finished guitars, introduced much later. The former two lines today would probably be close to being $1,500 guitars, if they existed. Most everything at Fender got significantly more expensive with the latest staggered rollout of their line repositionings. The standard poly finished reissue line (Vintera, formerly know as Classic), now costs around what the short lived Classic Lacquer Series cost before. If there were a Vintera Lacquer Series (which there very well might be some day in the future), they would likely have be around the $1,300 mark to make any sense in the price structure...and then people would say they cost too much. That said, it could very well be that some mid-level lacquered lines are coming, as part of the staggered rollout of repositioned lines.

No, a Road Worn does not look like a CS or vintage instrument. It's not even close. While it has absolutely no bearing on their musical qualities, they look to me like throwaway student projects from a Relic'ing 101 class – every single one that I have ever seen, or seen pictured. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be liked or they aren't good instruments. It just means that your likening them visually to actual old instruments or CS Relics is way off the mark. Any discerning eye can tell the difference between a Road Worn and one of those from across a room.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the reality is, Fender is in no way obligated to offer a finish that reveals the misuse to which the guitar has been subjected in a way that duplicates that which older guitars do. To suggest otherwise is a whacky as rejecting a 2020 Porsche Carrera because the paint does not allow the underlying body to rust the way a '58 Porsche 356 did...

If you want an ugly beat-up guitar, that's your business, but Fender is in no way obligated to facilitate it..

rk

bo, ronzhd, P Thought and 21 others like this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The world of guitars is a funny one........no one wants evolution , or progress. Only vintage materials and methods matter to many people.
    The latest invention that stuck around for a bit ? Probably the Floyd Rose......and still , heard on the internet , " make sure you get one of the old ones " LOL....
    I really don't know why anyone prefers inferior sort-of old school laquer on their guitar......I probably have some myself , but I really don't know or care.
    I can bang my 3 or 4 chord songs out on almost everything , great thing I don't need them all to be painted in laquer , LOL.......

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not in to plastic coated guitars either. Just another reason to assemble what you prefer yourself. I just scored a $50 buck lightweight basswood tele body and i'm excited to put a Allparts tmo-c unfinished maple neck on it after refretting it with jumbos and tinting in vintage amber, coating in thin tru oil. The body will be primed in white and sprayed in fiesta red nitro. Should look like a 4k custom shop but be more to my liking both in cost and feel.

These days there's no reason to be dictated to in what guitar you can own or how much it costs you. There are so many options available when it comes to bolt on neck f style guitars and you don't have to sacrifice on period correct vintage looks or feel.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

I think we need a new business Ron. Guitar wraps. Like car wraps but less wrap. Look at this photo of a wrapped car made to look worn. Does not violate the lease and makes it unique in the owners eyes.
    [​IMG]

DrPepper, Deeve, Obsessed and 6 others like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Funny thing is that car is more like a poly finished guitar due to being covered in a thick coat of plastic which cant be repaired easily if damaged.:)

8. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Woa killer the whole "you are wrong in every way" post seems a bit aggressive... on a lot of these points you seem to be attacking me for the sake of it. We can have differing preferences, no harm. Also you meant to say "you're" not "your" there bud.

9. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Hope you're having a better day tomorrow, no need to get so heated over having different finish preferences than someone else.

IrishTeleDan likes this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

11. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure I never said "Fender is obligated to give me lacquer" did I? No. I said I personally enjoy it, and you are welcome to your own preference. That is still no reason to bash someone else for theirs. Never seen so much unnecessary salt on this forum before...

12. Chunkocaster

Although I own a few poly finished guitars I love I see the finish differences as similar to owning faux leather vs a real leather hide lounge or a mdf wood laminated dining table vs owning a solid wood dining table finished in lacquer or French polished. The later is preferable to me and even more so when it comes to a musical instrument. One portrays quality and craftsmanship, the other a cost cutting alternative.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure Fender will be along with a lacquer finish option sooner or later. As someone pointed out, the Classics came out as 50s and 60s Standard Teles and Strats only, late nineties. Jazzmasters and Thinlines appears a few years later - the lacquer models didn't appear until some fifteen+ years after the first reissues. Just because they haven't announced it yet doesn't mean it's not coming.

mimmo, RadioFM74 and Chunkocaster like this.
  14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

During the last days we had more than 104° – I couldn't play any of my cherished laquered guitars for more than a few minutes before the finish felt soft and sticky. My Urethane-finished American Standard? My Ibanez Artcore? No problem!

15. Chunkocaster

Maybe they have been busy designing a new range of pleather players shoes?
    :)
    [​IMG]

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I do not read, nor did I design, any aggression in my post, nor did I say anything close to, "You are wrong in every way." And nothing I posted is about your "preferences" vs. mine.

My use of "your" was correct. It is the possessive "your," not a contraction of "you are." If you are going to post petty stuff like that as nothing but a form of retaliation for a post you didn't like, then, at the very least, you should be technically correct in your criticism. And please, if you are so learned and concerned about such things, take a hard look at your own writing first.

It seems that you are seeing attacks when there are none. You were not "bashed," nor do I think Ron is someone who goes around bashing people often, if ever, IME reading his posts. From my reading of the thread, the unnecessary saltiness and intolerance/oversensitivity to the opinions of others are all coming from you. Several of us are just attempting to dilute that salt with some water.

..."bud."

17. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Comparing cars with guitars always makes me wonder why?

But here's one just to play along ;); better not put a newer Porsche (or any newer car with body from recycled materials) outside in a heavy hailstorm!
    Rusty older ('full' metal plated) bodies, no probs! :D

Electric Warrior likes this.
  18. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Nitro looks better and also I like how it smells.

19. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Funny thing with Fenders lacquer options is the fact that it‘s a Nitro- over Polycoat. You won‘t have any sonic advantage from this coat, only cosmetics.

Don‘t wanna open a can of worms, but a thin lacquer coat without any plastic ingredients is the best. Why?
    Wood is cellulose!

CF19F049-1371-4D27-B792-113E2A5BE457.jpeg

20. Chunkocaster

The sealer is thin, so is the nitro on top. Poly finished guitars are covered in a thick finish so there would be differences in body resonance and feel. Poly might be more durable to abrasion but if impacted and chipped or dented its harder to repair. I think it was implemented more as a time saver/cost cutting measure than it was to improve on nitro finishes.
    Like with show cars or fine furniture if you want a show quality depth to the finish you achieve it by applying many coats of color and or clear. Not one or two coats like modern production line cars and mass produced furniture etc. Same goes for the guitars finish.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.