Fender Keef Telecaster on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 30, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

2. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Obviously fake, it comes with "Ernie Ball Keith Richards signature 5 string sets" but it has 6 strings and saddles?

3. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

And the HB is facing the "wrong way."

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Didn't Mike Eldred post here recently about the "Eldred Mod" for Esquire wiring? I'd like to hear him weigh in on this.

5. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

So how can a new guitar, largely made with a bandsaw and a router, finished, and beat to death with a washer-and-screw-filled sock, be worth almost $10K? It's not like Keef ever used it. It's as authentic as AstroTurf. This is just a silly price.

6. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Shenanigans!

7. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Holic

im not so sure anymore...

the certificate looks pretty real deal...

and also...this is ALOT of trouble for someone with 21,000+ transactions and only a tiny bad rating to go thru in my opinion to fleece an unwitting customer...

most fake guitars i see on ebay are usually chinese copies...and this looks too good to be a chinese copy...
    the story makes me a little suspect though...its almost as if he has "too much info"

i feel as though the average joe would get this guitar from a show if they had a hankering for tele's and bought into this whole story...

but it seems almost as if he is trying to hard to sell the story...and not so much the guitar...

no specs really on the guitar make me question it...but again...why get a 150 dollar case/and spend the time to beat up a cheap guitar (MIM or something similar)

i feel as though its almost too unbelievable so it has to be true!

ahhaa
    but thats just my feelings...id never buy it!

10k can get you A LOT of GUITAR!

8. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. The story I've read goes something like they started producing 3 or 4 Micawber guitars, Keef got wind of it and shut it down quickly. This was back in the early 90s I think? They would not have made certificates without everything being set to go. I don't know if the strings even existed back then. Plus, if Fender was really going through the motions, they would have put the white Strat switch tip on there and flipped the HB around since those two things, essentially, are the difference between a 52 Tele and Keef's signature. Plus, why would this guy be aloud to bring the guitar to shows to display without Fender shutting that down real quick? I doesn't make any sense to me.

Wayne

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

+1000

since Mr. Eldred even gets mentioned in the ebay description I'd love to hear what he has to say.

I've heared the similar story a few times before aswell - only the years seem to be moving ^^( could be wrong though).

I've had this certificate pic on my photobucket account for while now - it shows the same K.R. Relic Telecaster 1 of 20.
    could it be the same one? I dunno.

much confusion, hope there is some clarity down the line.

[​IMG]

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Do you get Artist's Custom Shop Limited Edition clone, production ceased, not on the market - guitars any cheaper?

Do you believe any Custom Shop Artists signature guitar was played by the actual artist?

11. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

As granddad used to say "thats a buncha bull butter"

12. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

nice
    prob sit in its case for another 10 years

bw

13. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Now that's funny. Picture is identical, makes it seem even more fake.

Wayne

14. Muddybuchfan

Muddybuchfan Tele-Meister

I thought the KR Custom Shop story happened in 2006 and they were converted to a limited edition model with no Keith name involved? I had seen a similar tele with a NAMM back plate in 2006 at a GC and the Manager repeated this urban guitar myth.

15. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it was 2006, I'm fairly certain it happened quite a while before that. But I'm not 100% certain either. Regardless, I'd love for someone from Fender to chime in on this. It just seems like a crime.

Wayne

16. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

There's also a thread going about this on Harmony Central. They are forming the same conclusions, but do reference a Japanese Fender that was modeled after Keef's Sonny guitar.

Also, oddly enough, I own a Fender Japan telecaster from the mid 90s that looks just like Micawber. It was nowehere near this asking price. If you care, here is a picture of me playing it (best picture available at the moment to show):
    [​IMG]

Wayne

17. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

The seller has 21,121 transactions with a 99.4% positive rating. That's pretty amazing... it would be even more amazing for someone with that kind of ebay credibility to blow it all on a criminal act.

I am inclined to believe the seller is genuinely convinced he is selling the real article, and also inclined to believe that Fender, Mike Eldred, KR's people and KR himself will disavow this instrument and others that may exist.

It may have been an experiment that got away... it is possible the Custom Shop made things as experiments which they intended to destroy later.

YMMV

Ward

18. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Febder Japan did a run of them seperate to the line in the USA that got shut down. These were less heavily reliced than the US models. It comes with a 6 saddle bridge if one wanted to put it standard tuning. Keefing it would just mean removing one saddle and moving each string up a notch. As far as production years/numbers go, I'm not entirely sure at the moment. Oh, and the HB is meant to be round that way, changes the tone apparently. Peter Green notably dis the same thing with is Burst LP.

My bet is this is one of the Japanese models that surfaces from time to time.

19. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

It's one cool telecaster, no matter if it is genuine or not.

Ten grand is still a lot of money for a Custom Shop Relic.

20. Bozo Bus

Bozo Bus Tele-Meister

More confusion than my feeble little brain can handle....

Is this like the $17K "Lenny" GC has been trying to sell for 3 -4 years. Someone with REALLY deep pockets may go for it, Not me. I would assume the same would be for this guitar. I imagine the consenus is, Someone at the CS made it because it would be a cool build, it got away and this fellow picked it up and simply trying to make a living. It is worth what someone is willing to pay. Seems to me the guy is trying to sell the story behind the guitar rather than the guitar. Same with Lenny.... It's a beat up (MOJO), pretty cool looking strat, worth $17K???? Not in my book.
    PEACE,
    Phil

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.