Fender JVRI 62 or Tokai TTE55?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Mar 29, 2016.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

These new guitars are both about the same price, both double-bound, but the Tokai has a nitro finish, bone nut, gotoh hardware and pups, and comes with a nice tweed hard case.

I can't play either before buying, unfortunately. I can return either if I change my mind but that's a hassle I would rather do without :)

Thoughts very welcome.

2. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

You seem to be pushing the Tokai yourself! I won't put you off, they are great, well made instruments. The bone nut and Gotoh hardware are a plus in my opinion. I've hat Tokai guitars in the past so if the decision was mine, that's where I would go.

felis likes this.
  3. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Lacquer finish, are you sure?

4. CaineIsCarter

Haha, you got me there! I think I am, yes, and I guess it's because I'm slightly worried about paying a Fender price for what is still a Fender copy. The Tokai looks better value, but I am slightly concerned about resale value - I've stopped kidding myself that any of my guitars are immune to being sold.

5. CaineIsCarter

Positive. The dealer is making a big thing of the nitrocellulose finish, as well he might.

6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I second the Tokai suggestion, they can be great. I've had a breezysound, which I sold (I had a lot of teles then), but the 1985 Love Rock Custom I got off ebay some years ago is a real killer, a keeper.

7. CaineIsCarter

I pulled the trigger on the Tokai, and it will be here Saturday. Excited :)

The spec and the appearance were what made me decide, and I got a deal on it too. The dealer told me the next batch into the UK of these guitars will retail at £900, so considering I paid £700, I am very happy.

Also, having had MIM Teles and a USA Standard in the past, there's something appealing about buying a slightly niche, slightly geeky alternative to the mainstream this time. I'll post pics when it arrives.

8. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

CainelsCarter.....congratulations on the Tokai Breezysound.....recently saw a new made in Japan Tokai Breezysound (double bound two tone burst nitro finish bone nut)listed on UK EBay for £700....a very high spec Breezysound indeed kinda custom shop....got yourself
    a mighty fine Breezysound at a bargain price add a set of Bare Knuckles and that's gonna be a killer guitar.
    Thinking aloud a legendary Tokai Breezysound and the venerable Cornell Romany 1x10 would be the perfect best buy quality set up
    then again Wilco Johnson plays a made in Japan 62 and a Cornell.
    Looking forward to a full review and some pictures.

9. CaineIsCarter

Some pics and a short review up on the other T-Types board for anyone who's interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.