Fender JV Modified 60's Telecaster - switch rewiring question

dspguitar-Tele

TDPRI Member
I've got a Fender JV Modified 60's Telecaster. Great guitar.
It has 4-way switching to give neck & bridge pickups in both parallel and series.
It also has a push-pull tone potentiometer for reversing phase on the neck pickup and giving the out-of-phase sound in both the parallel and series settings.
Position 1 = bridge only
Position 2 = bridge and neck in parallel
Position 3 = neck only
Position 4 = bridge and neck in series

I would like to change it so that the position 3 is the bridge and neck in series, and position 4 is the neck only.
It seems more intuitive to me that all the way forward is neck.
I have seen many websites, forums, and posts with mods to Telecasters with 4-way switches and push-pull pots for out-of-phase, and they contain diagrams on how to re-wire the 4-way switch to give the results I want.
However, their wiring diagrams are nothing like the actual wiring of the JV Modified Telecaster.
The JV Modified Tele is using different switch lugs, jumpers, and different push-pull wiring-to-pot wiring/lug assignments.
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get the wiring diagram from Fender. Also other Tele forums. No luck so far.
Does anyone have a link or diagram that would assist me to accomplish what I want on this?

Thanks,
Don

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
It's possible that Fender has used part of the Classic Player Baja circuit which puts the neck pickup out of phase. The diagrams you are finding may have the bridge pickup out of phase. If you could identify which pickup is wired to the push pull switch it may help.

How do you feel about drawing your own wiring diagram?
If you have the equipment eg printer, copy this off and add the existing wiring to the components.Scan or photograph the completed diagram, post back here and I'm sure we can come up with the answer.
Tele_Basic_4_Way.jpg

dspguitar-Tele

TDPRI Member
Tuxedo Poly,
thank you very much for the speed reply.
Yes, I'll be more than happy to attempt to diagram out the JV wiring, and will post back to you as soon as I can get that done and scanned.
Don

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
This Fralin article has the diagram laid out as you want, though without the series switching.

I like this way better myself as well. I want neck all the way forward, bridge all the way back, and then parallel and series in the middle.

Edit: I didn't read the second half where you'd found all sorts of wiring diagrams that fix this - but the issue is with how your guitar is wired. Tuxedo Poly has the right idea about having you fill out your own diagram and posting it here. But perhaps even more simple is just to take it all apart and rewire it the way you have found elsewhere, rather than try to move wires around to get the desired result.

Excited to see what you have to post though. Pictures of the actual wiring along with your diagram would be great.

Last edited:

dspguitar-Tele

TDPRI Member
It's possible that Fender has used part of the Classic Player Baja circuit which puts the neck pickup out of phase. The diagrams you are finding may have the bridge pickup out of phase. If you could identify which pickup is wired to the push pull switch it may help.

How do you feel about drawing your own wiring diagram?
If you have the equipment eg printer, copy this off and add the existing wiring to the components.Scan or photograph the completed diagram, post back here and I'm sure we can come up with the answer. View attachment 1030645

I took a stab at copying your diagram to MS Paint, and drawing different colored lines to indicate paths and connections.
I hope this works. Please let me know if you have any questions: even though I triple checked, I could have missed something.
This is quite different from what I have seen before. I contacted Fender, and they said that since the JV Modified 60's Telecasters are made in Japan - using a third party company - that Fender US did not have those diagrams.
With this wiring, there is no break on the bridge pickup ground-to-plate.
The configuration has the Neck+Middle-in-Series in position 4, and the Neck in position 3. I'm trying to get that changed so that the Neck only is in position 4, and the Neck+Middle-in-Series is in position 3.
Would most appreciate any suggestions/diagrams to accomplish.
Telecaster 4-way with push-pull.png

TeleHuli50

TDPRI Member
Wiring the series config in Position 3 makes more sense to me too. That's the way I did it. Looking at your diagram, it looks like all you have to do is swap the wires on lugs 3 and lugs 4. So move the purple wire to B3 and N3, and move the ground wire from N3 to N4. I tried to mark it up below.
Screenshot_20220920-062537.png

Last edited: