Fender Jim Root jazzmaster?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Sinner1980, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Hey all,

Wanted to share something that’s been on my mind lately.

As much as the tele will always be my go-to and favourite guitar, I adore my AV52 and they cover alot of of genres and genres, I have created this urge to own a mahogany guitar with humbuckers that covers the more heavy music styles (read: hard rock, metal) in lower tunings.

I know that I could mod any tele to get into the territory but heck, changing it up is nice some times.

As I like a classic look and am not into pointy axes as well as the well-known Japanese superstrats, I figured I’d grab either a les paul or flying V.

Having given that idea some thought and bearing in mind that I’ve owned my share of Gibbies and got rid of them all eventually to replace them with Fenders I figured that wouldn’t be the smartest move and I am actually a Fender guy as I keep coming back to them and they just feel ‘right’ for me. The scale length and string spacing of Fenders also suit me better.

Fender does not offer too many choices in this category though.. There are the Jim Root models and so the Jim Root jazzmaster came into play. Out of the 3 JR models Fender offers this one appeals to me most. Made in the US, I dig the offset body shape and the compound radius. Also, I tried one a couple of times back in Hong Kong and I really liked it.

Some details I don’t like too much are the active EMG’s which I’d rather switch out for passives and the fact that it doesn’t have fretboard inlays. Different color options would also be welcome but black is the only thing on offer.

I’m now planning on getting one and modding it to my preferences: pickups, inlays(just simple dots will do) and I might eventually have her refinished in for instance lake placid blue or olympic white to make her ‘less metal’ in appearance.

I know that most people on the forum find this guitar an abomination but I’d love to hear your ideas and thoughts.

All input is welcome!

916F5C69-90D3-4B36-A090-FE0986453FE3.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    bftfender and Shuster like this.
  2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

I think the Jim Root models are bad ass including the Squier model.

I'm confused as to why you want a metal type guitar just to de-metal it? I think I'd just go Stratosphere, Warmoth or about any other route.

No judgement. Just wondering.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you want an offset body shape with a Fender scale in non-Fender-typical woods with humbuckers and inlays in a variety of color options, check out the Ibanez Jet King line. There have been 4 or 5 distinct models so far (and one signature model). The Jet King 1 has this body shape:

[​IMG]

And the rest have this shape:

[​IMG]

albeit with different pickup, switching and finish options (humbuckers, P90's, coil splitting, hardtail, Bigsby, traditional bursts, solid black, neon lime, silver sparkle...)

I have a Jet King 2 just like the 2nd pic, and I love it. The neck and wider and the fretboard flatter than I'm used to on my Strat and Tele, but I've adjusted to it fine. I'd like to change to locking tuners (just my preference, the stock ones are OK), I think the fake tort pickguard is a little cheesy (but I have an idea for a custom-made one) and I'd like to live with the pickups a little longer before I decide on them. But these are all changes anyone might want to make to any guitar, and probably simpler than your plan to rip out the active electronics, put inlays where there are none, etc.

I don't know anything about the Jim Root JM, it may be perfect for you (after the mods you describe). But I think the Jet Kings may be worth a look from what you say you want yet aren't getting stock from the Jim Root JM. They come up used pretty frequently on GC and Reverb for $300 or less.

Sinner1980 likes this.
  4. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I saw go for it!

Sinner1980 likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The only thing I don't like about that guitar is the volume knob placement.

EMG's are capable of playing great clean tones and their distorted tones can be managed with the gain knob for good tone.

Sinner1980 likes this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Love the guitar just the way Jim asked for it, understated Awesomeness!!

Sinner1980 likes this.
  7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Love the 'one-knob' simplicity, but NOT the location of that knob!

8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

go with it, its what you like and play the heavy music proudly..funny..i just did what you did today in reverse..i got a Gibson Nighthawk to sorta cover my jangle a lil so i didnt have to get a fender and wear cargo shorts and cut my hair and be grumpy

Zepfan and Sinner1980 like this.
  9. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Not a big fan of self assembly/partscasters to be honest.

I won’t de-metal it, just adjust it to my personal taste and preference ;).
    I’m a big metal fan but don’t like my guitars to ‘look metal’ if that makes sense.

That’s the main reason I thought of going Gibson in the first place; they cover the genre well but aren’t too obvious in the looks department and are also well suited in a blues setup for instance.

bftfender and Shuster like this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

here is my offset rock machine, 496/500 pups.ceramic and they really get it done, i leave it in D standard and then drop C, actually your post is where i live music wise ,have Gibson's with these pups..pretty much everything i need and I Ibanez RG with V7 & 8 and 1 RGA w/active(on the way out-just prefer passives)
    for rock-into metal
    61 Zebra Alnico
    490/498
    496/500
    Gibson Iommi
    T-buckers
    SD 59's
    SD 57's
    Firebird.jpg

Sinner1980 likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're set on a Fender there are some "oddball", lesser-known models that may be up your alley. Two that come to mind are the Toronado:

[​IMG]

and the Marauder:

[​IMG]

You've told us a lot about what the Jim Root JM has that doesn't do it for you. Is there something about it that has you particularly attached?

12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I like the overall look and specs of it. Mahogany body, maple neck with ebony fretboard, jumbo frets with compound radius, made in US, nitro finish(pretty much a must for me). Besides that, it also plays very well and the build quality seems solid.

If it would have fretboard markers and passive pickups it would pretty much cover it all for me.

13. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

The LTD sparrowhawk also briefly crossed my mind but although I’ve had some ESP’s(5 to be exact, not LTD’s) in the past I’ve never really held onto one and bonded with one.

Great looking guitar though! Helps that Mastodon is one of my favourite bands of course.

87456BDE-B771-4EC2-A316-712807A43645.jpeg

Just a bit cheaper than the JR jazzmaster and I’d rather have a US made Fender versus a made in Indonesia LTD.

14. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Double post

15. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Too much mods to be made IMO. Just get a cheaper jazzmaster in a color you like, with inlays, and install humbuckers on it.

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My recommendation is to go to every music store within a hundred miles, pick up and play every guitar you can get your hands on, and then buy the one that sounds and feels perfect to you.

Then you don't have to do any modifying or alterations.

Just buy the perfect one, and play it.

:)

17. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I know the deal. My perfect one will cost me about 3k though... Something I can’t cough up at this time time in life...

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't cough up three grand for a guitar at any time in my life!

I do like the Jim Root Jazzmaster a lot, now that I study it.
    It's simple, it's got tone for weeks, and the fret marker-free fingerboard appeals to me.

But I'm weird that way.
    I don't care for adornments.

Good luck in your search, though.
    Somebody earlier suggested finding a used Ibanez Jet King.
    I must heartily concur.

I had a real nice Jet King JTK40 in red, with the Ibanez version of the Bigsby on it. Wish I had never let it go.

Here she was.
    Note the simple triangular fret markers.
    Interesting, and very different.
    Good times.

:)
    jet king on the wall.jpg jet king fingerboard.jpg

19. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Not a big fan of those Ibbies to be honest. Plus I have a budget of about 2k so I’d rather grab something high end.

20. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Stop the presses!

A new contender that might fit the bill just entered the battle:

View attachment 581734

Drooling over this Yamaha and definitely want to test one. Design is badass and hope the playability and sounds are too.

Never saw it before but has my interest definitely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.