Fender Japan Wide Range

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by teleman55, May 12, 2018.

1. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Anyone ever use this? It's a nice pickup. Different than the MIM one, or the original. I put Mojotone in mine but kept this as it's kinda cool you know.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. Diff years and diff productions sites on those WRHB definitely
    reveal a lot of diff vibe.

3. Frfly

Frfly TDPRI Member

Sorry to intrude, but those fender japan dragster pickups sound gorgeous. I don't know if the Wide Range are built the same underneath with a different cover, but they really have made sweet pickups over there.

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking for a WRHB, the MIJ variants I have ever heard don't really cut it. Some of these might be fine sounding pickups, but they generally seem to sound like common humbuckers and miss the wide dynamic range of the original. There is a reason that a cottage industry exists with three pickup makers that modify them to sound more like my favorite pickup. Can't speak for the other reissues as I own 4 guitars that have the original WRHB. The Telenator guy really knows his stuff about these pickups. Sometimes he will chime in. I bought another backup from 1975 for $200 a couple of months ago, so they can still be found for a fairly reasonable price if you look hard enough. The original WRHB I can run through a dimed amp and go from clean to dirty sounds by the ballistics of my picking alone. No other pickup I use has the same touch. I have multiple Strats, Teles, Gulld solidbodies(love the HB-1-the closest to a wide range humbucker in my book) & 335 guitars and none have the same dynamic range.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Telenator is now out of business.:(

Nothing sounds better to me than the originals or the aftermarket ones made with the CUNIFE magnets.

The Alnico's get close, but not close enough and you could get the same tone with regular HB's for less money.

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have always felt the MIJ pickups were kinda dark and lacking clarity. They're wound to about 11k if I recall, and those big steel screw poles suck up a lot of tone. Installing a set of AlNiCo V magnets at .630 in length will seriously wake up the sound if you use 1 meg pots. It goes from dull to spanky and sounds really nice.

One of the reason, in my opinion, why a standard size humbucker will never sound like a WRHB is simply because of the coil spacing. It's that simple.

Here's a very early sound clip from 2008 when we had created our MOD2 WRHB using AlNiCo V magnets. The secret to getting this great tone is in the magnet length.
    The track is very raw intentionally to showcase the tone over a broad range of frequencies. I'd be hard pressed to tell this apart from CuNiFe.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    DrASATele and Jackadder like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.