1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Japan Tele-Stamped A Series serial number on bridge 1984?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarswheelies, Mar 7, 2021.

1. guitarswheelies

guitarswheelies TDPRI Member

Howdy All,

I know the JV and SQ series is 1982-1984 . These guitars had a serial number stamped on the bridge for Teles or onto the neckplate for Strats.

Then they went to the serial number with a letter prefix on a decal. These came after the stamped serial # JV/SQ series guitars.

Has anyone seen the stamped A series serial numbers? I have seen a few . I've got a mint TL52-55 in Sunburst with an A series serial number stamped into the bridge plate. There is no neck date . I used to own an MIJ ST-362 Strat with an A series serial umber stamped into the neck plate and an October 1984 penciled neck date.

My thinking is that Fender Japan briefly used the stamped A numbers in late 1984 and then went to the decals. You can't find any references to this number series online but I have owned 3 or 4 of the guitars. Anyone else have one?

2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I can’t reference it, but I remember reading here that all the early MIJ Teles had the bridge plate stamped with the same number

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I don't have one but I've also seen a few MIJs with A serial number models with the serial number either on the neck plate or on the bridge plate. Like you I assume they were done in 1984 before Fender Japan switched to the serial number decals. I've seen a few of the Contemporary Series (or "Boxer Series" depending on where you're located) with the serial numbers on the neck plate. But since these didn't make it to the USA until 1985 most of them sold here had the headstock decals (and frankly I've seen a lot more Contemporary Series with "E" serial numbers than "A"; both letter prefixes overlapped).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.