1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Japan Confusion - MIJ - old or new?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AjayTele, Aug 9, 2009.

1. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

It seems that our friends at Fender Japan have decided to really confuse everyone now. It appears that most, if not all, new Fender Teles being made in Japan are once again being called "Made in Japan" or MIJ for short. :eek:

This of course makes dating the guitar by the serial number problematic, as the conventional wisdom was that all guitars labelled MIJ were pre 1998 manufacture. :rolleyes:

So when you see a guitar listed on eBay as a MIJ, be aware that it may actaully be a 2008 or newer guitar and not a 1995/6 as the buyer may (accidentally) claim! ;)

2. Vole

Vole Former Member

Yeah I noticed this just recently... Wonder why they done that?

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

They probably ran out of C's in their Letraset alphabets... ;)

4. Sin-e

Sin-e TDPRI Member

5. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Well, be assured that some "regular" models are being branded MIJ. This TL55, for example...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I understand that both the recent Blue Floral and Pink Paisley Models were also MIJ...

And I also have seen other guitars such as a 52RI and also a 62RI on eBay which are brand new and yet labelled MIJ.:rolleyes:

Quite a few models for sure...;)

6. Sin-e

Sin-e TDPRI Member

I stand corrected. Thank you.

7. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

I thought the older ones were stamped, "crafted in Japan" and the newer ones were stamped "Made in Japan". I believe this is the case, but I maybe guessing at best.

8. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Afflicted

9. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Yeah this is frustrating, they've been doing it for a while now. I've seen the new pink paisley guitars in both "MIJ" and "CIJ". These Japanese Fenders are hard enough to date already, some impossible, like my older "MIJ" paisley tele with no serial number anywhere on the thing other than the "A" stamped bridge plate which is useless for dating a guitar, checked in the neck pocket and the butt of the neck with no pencil date either. Guess we'll never know on some of these.

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the new "Made In Japan" is in a different font than the old "Made In Japan". If someone with a newer one would post a closeup, we could make a comparison.

11. braderrick

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. The new paisley strat I bought was a "CIJ" and some of them may even be in different fonts.

12. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

Corporate stupidity never fails to amaze me :(

13. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Found a picture of a new MIJ Paisley on the Elderly website. As you can see the new "MADE IN JAPAN" is in a bolder font. The top picture is one of my older MIJs.

......[​IMG]

14. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Yes, it is frustrating to try and date the Japanese model sometimes. They always want to just cuddle (just kidding). I actually prefer the build quality and sound of the older "CIJs".

15. braderrick

I see your point Jack and I agree it looks more square and bold. The problem will be all of the idiots selling these on ebay and trying to explain it to some of them hehe.

16. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Then top that off with the A serial and they all think they have a mint new 85 MIJ tele LOL.

17. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

You laugh Mark...but unfortunately, it is true. :rolleyes:

I have already come accross a couple of guys that bought them in Japan, thinking they had made a steal, they get pretty disillusioned when you tell them what's happening now with the MIJ labelling... :mad:

18. braderrick

Yeah that's what I'm saying. It's already bad enough how so many people will put a "CIJ" with an "A" number and say it's a 1985 model, heck some will even tell you they bought their 1985 CIJ in the summer of 1985, "I remember it like it was yesterday" they say, hehe. When in fact they remember it so well because it was new in 1998...if they even bought it new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.