1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Jaguar - 50s Wiring / Fezz Parka Mod

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by amateurastrologer, Oct 29, 2020.

1. amateurastrologer

amateurastrologer TDPRI Member

I have a classic player special Jaguar (two single coils), I believe the wiring is the same or very similar to a standard Jaguar - 1 meg pots, rhythm & lead circuits, on/off switches, hi-pass/strangle switch, etc. I recently changed the wiring in my Les Paul & Tele to the 50s / Fezz Parka wiring so that when I roll back the volume I don't darken the tone too much, it works great.

I tried this on my Jaguar but it didn't have the same effect.
    - Factory wiring: brightness and volume roll off very quickly, majority of change happens between 10 & 8, that classic Jaguar brightness is lost immediately upon volume adjustment.
    - 50s wiring (jumper wire moved from outer to middle volume lug): brightness rolls off more slowly, but the volume taper is quite different. It doesn't really decrease volume until about 3 or 2. As the volume is rolled down from 10 to 3 the tone changes, less like a volume adjustment and more like a tone adjustment. Mind you this is with the tone pot on 10.

Might this be attributed to the 1 meg pots, which may have a different taper than my other guitars? Or the mystery resistor on the tone pot? I can live with the factory wiring but curious if anyone has insight or suggestions. Thanks!

Gevalt likes this.
  2. Gevalt

Gevalt TDPRI Member

A linear taper pot will give you more volume control over your Vol@10-tone. It's like having the sounds of 7-10 on an audio-taper, all the way down to 3 on a linear. It fine tunes loudness, but it's harder to "roll back for cleans". YMMV

If you measure an audio taper pot, you'll have a surprisingly low-percentage of the full 1MEG, even down to 8.
    That's why I use 250k no-load tone pots on everything. A 500k at 7 is at so much less than 500k. All the real action with tone caps happens in the last 100k. The more rotation I have in these useful areas, the better.
    No right answer. Experiment.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Most volume pots are the Log (A) type pots which are great for swells, but they do have that barely adjustable thing your talking about. Most people add a treble bleed circuit to the volume pot.
    A Linear (B) pot will work better at having true adjustability without effecting the tone so much. Some people like to be able to have some effect to the tone.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want more straightforward predictable operation ... use a treble bleed circuit (there are several and selecting the caps and resistor combination is important) not the 50s wiring. 50s wiring is fine if you never use the tone pot but if you do use the tone pot you'll find it adjusts volume too resulting in unexpected outcomes when using both volume and tone knobs.

5. amateurastrologer

Cool, this is really helpful, thanks for the replies!

6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

50’s wiring changes the taper of the pots: it usually becomes less smooth and more brutal. The effect depends a lot on the initial taper of the pot, and on its resistance value.
    Since 1Mk pots have a more brutal effect on the signal, they are not the best candidates for 50’s wiring IMO.

amateurastrologer likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

NB: Changing for a 500k volume pot would solve your issue, at least partially, but the trade-off would be a less bright overall tone when the pot is fully open.

If as it is now, the guitar is plenty bright to your ear, I would not hesitate to do it, since the slightly darker tone can be compensated on the amp. But if you find the tone of your guitar full-on is just perfect to your taste right now, I would keep the original pot and opt for a treble bleed instead of 50's wiring.

8. amateurastrologer

For anyone interested

I restored the wiring to factory (modern) and installed a treble bleed (680pF cap + 150kΩ resistor in parallel). This worked pretty well in two ways:

- it retains highs but also lows when the volume is rolled back, doesn't get thin, stays full, just quieter
    - it smoothed the volume pot taper a bit, not as drastically as 50s wiring, it's a good middle ground

Thanks again for the suggestions. Might try this on my Tele too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.