Fender hype.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Whatever guitar you play and whichever amp you prefer and whichever strings you love, that’s all because of Fender. So it’s not hype. It’s an earned position.

That said, everyone likes different things. If a Fender amp isn’t your sound that’s cool. Because all music doesn’t need to sound the same.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Dunno. A few years ago, I convinced myself that I needed an Audi A4. Turns out that I like my wife’s Honda Accord just as much for a fraction of the price. Some would say that I’m nuts. Some would say that it’s apples and oranges. Some might agree. But in any event, I wouldn’t call it Audi “hype.” That connotes something sinister or fraudulent on Audi’s part. They made a car they like.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a 68’ Custom Deluxe. It has more mids and less headroom than a 65 DRRI. I could never do Peavy, but then I haven’t played through one in 30 years. Fenders aren’t hyped. I think 70 years on now we all know what to expect out of one. I always had to throw a 12” speaker in Princetons to get some low end.

wildschwein

Tele-Afflicted
There's always a difference between the picture of the burger and what you get in the wrapper. Philosophers as far back as Plato and probably further have been interested in the difference between the imagined ideal and what is realised in the physical world. Somethings work better for others and our needs are subjective and multifarious. Find something that works for your own needs.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Whenever I buy anything these days, I try to buy from smaller companies because smaller companies work harder to please their customers.

Corporations on the other hand, don’t care as much about their customers - they don’t care as much about their workers - because they have a legal duty to put their shareholders’ needs first.

And because of that legal duty, they will always produce products of the bare minimum quality and sell for the maximum price the market will allow - and that’s what I see reflected in most Fender products.

The Princeton is a nice enough little amp - but it’s really a practice amp - and it costs way too much for what it is IMO. They cost about $2K where I live and that’s silly money for a mass produced 12 watt practice amp.
"but it’s really a practice amp"

Chris Stapleton would disagree. Although he he did swap for a 12" speaker. Still, the Princeton is still a well known amp in the studio and med. sized venues.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I didn't mean to make it sound like a rant against Fender. It was just an observation. The only expectation I had for the Princeton was a clean tone that was superior to the Peavey. It was good but it was not the holy grail it's portrayed as.
I think you.have a misperception. The 65 Blackface Reissue line has a reputation for clean. The '68 Custom Silverface' line of amps is designed like Fender's 'Player' guitars to incorporate common mods and tweaks that people do to add more grind, breakup, sound options.

So the Silverface Princeton has a different (reduced) negative feedback resistor, different speaker to make it more mids-focussed. Even the 65 PRRI does not have tons of clean - it's known for its lovely breakup tones at less than earbleed levels, tube driven reverb, bias vary tremolo. That makes it a better studio and low volume amp.

An amp like it putting out 12 watts on a good day through a Celestion Ten 30 which isn't a very efficient speaker isn't a clean machine especially compared to a 30 watt PV with a 12" speaker.

If you're a 'dime-it' player the PR isn't going to behave. Volume and Equalizer settings are critical. Less than 6 volume, treble 6 or less and bass no.more than 3. If you have humbuckers or Texas Specials a bit less.

Otherwise harshness and potentially farty low end breakup will be apparent.

A Deluxe Reverb will give more clean in the realms of the PV.

Last edited:

ballynally2

Tele-Holic
Dunno. A few years ago, I convinced myself that I needed an Audi A4. Turns out that I like my wife’s Honda Accord just as much for a fraction of the price. Some would say that I’m nuts. Some would say that it’s apples and oranges. Some might agree. But in any event, I wouldn’t call it Audi “hype.” That connotes something sinister or fraudulent on Audi’s part. They made a car they like.
Yes, it is actually the word 'hype' that carries all the connotations..

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Played a Blues Jr since the 1st series. Sold it and went to Music Go Round for another. None there, but they had a Bassbreaker 15 combo. I bought it and use the middle gain setting. Sounds just like a Blues Jr. Both Fender amps were very carefree & dependable.

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Ever since the “‘68 custom” line came out, I’ve had no desire to even try one. The mods seem to be trying to bump up gain and midrange. Can’t turn a Princeton into a Marshall without compromising both.

The only one that tempted me was the Vibro Champ Reverb… until I discovered the reverb is solid state.

If I’m going with a non-tube reverb combo, it’s easily going to be a Peavey Classic. Those amps are great…

And I say this as someone who builds my own amps rather than buy them. A Princeton Reverb is a beautiful thing. It seems to me that the 68 Custom wouldn’t interest me because it’s modded.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
I didn't mean to make it sound like a rant against Fender. It was just an observation. The only expectation I had for the Princeton was a clean tone that was superior to the Peavey. It was good but it was not the holy grail it's portrayed as.
You just might have a legit compliant. "Members of the jury, the fact that Fender modified the amp before reissuing it proves they knew it sucked!"

Hey, this guy in a music store told me the Fender was the most popular amp on the planet. Have you any idea the frustration and heartbreak I suffered trying to make it sound like Cream and Led Zep? I was just a kid. How was I to know they had better electricity in England?

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
Try this on for size: My $250 Affinity Telecaster sounds better than my Gibson Les Paul in my
Vox AC15C1. I sometimes think if you "marry" a certain guitar to a certain amp, good/bad things
are sure to transpire. If we're looking for a certain sound/tone it will take much effort to
achieve that goal. Besides music is an everyday education, good days, bad days but it's like
golf......it's all how you approach it.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Fender amp thing is definitely cult like. So many people are just addicted to that sound and won’t even consider anything else. I didn’t play them at all for many years, because I just don’t generally think they sound that good.

It’s my personal taste, I just like the Brit style voicings better. Last year I bought a ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. I thought with the more tweed voiced “Custom” channel, reverb and trem on both channels, celestion speaker, etc, that I might finally find a Fender I really liked. And I did for a while. It was definitely an “ok” amp. Not great, but useable. And a good size package and power level for my gigs.

Then I got my Engl. It’s 15 watts vs the Deluxe’s 22, but it’s got more headroom and clarity, more overall volume, better definition, WAY more of the “sparkle” factor in the cleans, cuts in a mix better, has more low end that’s tighter and more punchy, it’s just no contest. I sold the deluxe.

That deluxe cost me $1400. The Engl head cost me $600 in mint used condition. I won’t own another deluxe. I’ll definitely own more Engl amps.

The major exception to my general distaste for Fender amplifiers is the Brownface era. Don’t know what it is about those amps, but a brown Princeton, Deluxe, or Vibrolux is just the bees knees. They don’t sound like any other Fender amps to me. If they got reissued, my bank acct might start taking some serious hits.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had a’65 DRRI and a ‘68 PRRI. Both were unremarkable. I have a Quilter 101 Reverb running through a 2 x 10 cab that is one of the best sounds I’ve had. I’m a long time Fender guy but I’m not sure that the current Fender has much to do with Leo’s Fender.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
They never really messed with the PR circuit, BF or SF. So that is a red flag to me, if I had to buy one sight unseen. I’d just buy a PRRI.

Absolutely. The “messing with” could be good, but you have to hear it. I’m definitely no purist, but if changes are made, I’m not gonna take someone’s word for it unless I know what’s going on.

I'm starting to think the 68 custom line is about giving that classic pawn shop experience of buying a silverface fender that was badly modified by a hack in the 90s.