1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender HSS 'Player' Alnico Pickups..any experiences, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Krackle, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Hi Folks, (posted this in the Strat subFrorum..didnt know there was a 'Pickups Only' section)

there's a loaded pick guard in my area with a set of the Strat, HSS, Player Alnico Pickups in it..100 dollars

Thinking about checking these out..i hear and read about folks liking these quite a bit..and of course..people hating them...something about the mids being too strong or stiff

Wondering what you guys here can offer on this Player HSS set?

..Im really looking for a fairly 'strat' sounding set of up pickups..nothing to too hot and pickuos that have some organic quality to them..that is - not brittle or hard sounding..

i bought a guitar on the cheap that has an HSS set of Dragonfire ceramics in it and they are sorta lifeless and very brittle sounding

thanks.................

2. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Tele-Meister

They are pretty much the same as the old Am std pickups except the humbucker has alnico 2 magnets now, they sound very good for stock pickups.

3. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

I put an HSS Player set in my 2009 MIM Stratocaster to replace the stock ceramics. I felt the original pickups were too fizzy.

the Player pickups are more mellow and articulate. I am surprised by the HB at the bridge. It’s very thin astounding for a humbucker. In my case there is no tone control for the bridge pickup.

it is still unmistakably a Strat and has that signature quack. I actually like the Tex Mex SSS set in my brother’s Jimmy Vaughn Strat better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.