Fender Hot Rod with a 16 ohm internal speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Activateclint, May 30, 2021.

1. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Got myself a Celestion alnico cream 16 ohm in my amp. I'd like to upgrade to a Fender Hotrod Deluxe IV (with only an 8 ohm tap i believe?) and take the speaker with me.
    Can it be done?

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Can be done. I wouldn’t.

3. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

Most Fender Tube Amps are designed to operate at either 8 or 4 Ohms. One exception is the Super Reverb that runs at 2 Ohms. 16 ohms will decrease the performance of an amp designed to run at 8 ohms due to the increased load. Most Fender Tube Amps will operate at a 100% mismatch but most folks go with the lower number ohms and not the higher 16 ohm load. If you ran an extension cab with another 16 ohm speaker then your amp would be operating at 8 Ohms.
    I personally would not put the 16 Ohm speaker in the HRD IV amp to use by itself. Sell or trade the 16 Ohm speaker for an 8 ohm speaker.
    Many Marshall amps and the Peavey Classic series amps usually operate at 16 Ohms. They also are designed to run with 2 - 16 Ohm Speakers / CABS at 8 Ohms. Please note that they do not go in the higher direction to 32 ohms.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on a whole range of factors but personally I wouldn't. I'd get the 8 ohm version if you love it. The O/t matches the tube impedance to the speaker. If it's out there will be an effect.

I'd suggest the warranty would be void apart from anything else.

5. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Thanks all for the reply. Looks like I'll just have to see if I can get the 8ohm version if I go that way. The other amp I'd consider is the bassbreaker 30r which has a 16ohm tap anyhow :)

northernguitar likes this.
  6. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

I don't know what sound /tone you are looking for but the HRD IV and Bassbreaker 30 R are very different amps. The HRD IV is 6L6 Powered and will have more of the classic Fender sound while the BB 30 R is EL84 powered and is more like the Peavey Classic Series tube amps. I would play both amps with your guitar and find out which one you prefer. Both are good sounding amps but very different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.