Fender Hot Rod Deville mod kit

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by brian79, Dec 21, 2013.

1. brian79

brian79 TDPRI Member

I have a hot rod deville 410 that I have been considering the frommel mod kit and recap kit and I was wondering if anyone has had good results from it? I use the amp mostly for clean stuff and occasionally with an overdrive pedal. I bought the amp new in 99 and it still has the original tubes in it. Before I consider any major permanent mods I will be replacing the tubes to see if it makes any improvements.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian

2. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

The only thing that you need is a well set up pair of power tubes and new electrolytic caps. I highly recommend F&T. That is all your Deville will need to sound its best, and you do not need any ill advised "mods".

3. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

My son gigs an older DeVille 410. After picking it up used a couple of years ago (and not knowing anything about its history) we cleaned it up, replaced all of the tubes and did a re-bias. That alone got it to a very good place sonically.

I can't speak to the entire Fromel mod, but the audio taper pots to replace the stock linears and the Switchcraft jacks (not board mounted) seem like an excellent idea to me. As far as the Fromel tone-related mods go, the stock amp here sounds just fine without them - but I'd sure like to hear one 'fully' modded, just to compare. :cool:

4. brian79

brian79 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. The cap kit has 6 F&T caps and a few other smaller caps. The "mod" kit doesn't really change the circuit,its mostly just supposed to be better parts. It has 2 orange drops, 3 mica caps, 2 power resistors, several 1/2 watt resistors, a new volume pot, and 2 new input jacks. It has a small jumper wire that can be added to bridge pins 2 and 3 on the mid pot for a "tone stack mod". I am definitely going to order new tubes and rebias it. Then probably have the electrolytic caps changed. I had the input jacks changed while it was still under warranty so the other part of the kit may not offer] enough of a benefit to risk any damage to the pcb.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=211408&stc=1&d=1387659557

Attached Files:

• 070.jpg
      070.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.