1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender headstock decals on non-Fender Guitars

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele Plucker, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I’m interested in knowing what compels owners of parts-casters and the like to apply a Fender headstock decal to a non-Fender guitar.

I personally am not interested in doing this for my own reasons and am curious about the motivation to do so by others.

Would any of you try to sell such an instrument without disclosing the issue?

That said, wear a mask.

nojazzhere and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Of course you don't put a Fender decal on a non-Fender guitar and try to sell it as one.

That is thievery.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

My suspicion is that a lot more people would indeed sell a counterfeit than would be willing to say that they would. Ebay is rife with examples (I may even own one, but haven't taken the time to really figure out if I was cheated).

On the other hand, it has never really made sense to me why everyone buys into "authentic Fender" in the first place. It's a mass produced guitar that is assembled. It's not like there's some wise old luthier with decades of experience hand crafting the fit of each particular guitar. I'm sure Partscasters are built with more care than the average Fender guitar. None of that was ever the point, though. Leo slapped them together to move units, and that philosophy got them into the hands of millions of kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to own a good instrument.

Its wrong to knowingly sell a fake instrument, and its wrong to be complicit in fraud. Its very easy to sell your "homage" to Fender to another person with the understanding that its a partscaster and then be powerless when you see it listed on Craigslist as an authentic Fender guitar.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    nojazzhere, drlucky and Toadtele like this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I would never. I refinished a Squier and put a Squier logo back on - but it was a Squier. The projects I have in the works now with aftermarket necks and bodies will have "AMJ" logos (and not in Fender Script font! LOL!). AMJ stands for Andrew, Madison, Jonathan - my three kids.

drlucky likes this.
  5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Here we go...
    I’ve done it on a few. Just because I like the looks of it. I would never try to pass it off as a genuine Fender. If I were ever to sell one of my partcasters I would remove the decal first. Just so nobody gets ripped off in the future.
    But honestly my partscasters are my best playing and sounding guitars so I’ll never get rid of them. I’ve heard and respect the arguments on both sides. Except when I’m told it’s illegal to even put a Fender decal on a non Fender. That’s foolishness.
    It’s no more illegal than putting a Chevy sticker on my Ford.

hemingway, drlucky, Danb541 and 2 others like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Once you go there, Any non Fender made guitar made like a Tele or Strat, a clone/partscaster, is just as bad a "theft" , well actually worse, than a headstock decal. JMHO. I'll just leave it there.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen lots of Ford truck owners wearing a Harley tee shirt while driving their truck, but I've never seen a person on a Harley wearing a Ford tee shirt. That's just not fair :twisted:

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I got burned by one. The first thing I did when I found out was to sand off the logo. Seller never actually claimed it was genuine. But he sure suckered me. Now I have an eagle eye for fake Strats and Les Pauls.

Fender-guy likes this.
  9. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

There are many threads on this.

Days worth of reading...

mojek likes this.
  10. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

If I’m building a partscaster of a fender and doing it as a replica I’m going to put a proper quality decal on it. Who cares, you can tell a mile away it’s not real.

The guys who get burned should do research before buying anything that looks questionable and more than likely at a crazy deal. Nash used to put fender decals on at one point, you could still tell it wasn’t a real vintage fender.

Toadtele likes this.
  11. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I've done it a few times. I've never sold a guitar I've put a logo on. I also wrote "not a real fender" inside the body cavity and on the neck heel in permanent marker. I haven't done it in years though. My partscasters are mainly no logo guitars now.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Done this a few times, I suspect it goes nowhere like the other threads. People don't like when I say this but the basic three reasons IMHO are:

1. Straight fraud
    2. Not secure/happy/proud about what the guitar really is
    3. Likes the looks of a Fender decal

I'm pretty sure the 'like the looks' attitude has a root, mainline root actually, to the second point. If not, at least two sides of the same coin. Deep down, it seems to be wishful thinking applied to one's personal property, the self-satisfaction of that. The strongest justification: it's my guitar, I'll do as I please with it. Since it's nobody's business, then yeah, cool go for it. But one has to buy illegal things to make it happen--very outlaw lol. If the reasons are 2 and 3, that's not my idea of outlaw, but 1, well that's just bad karma and jacka**ery (and illegal).

That said, I have decent graphic arts abilities, I craft my own logos for my stuff. I could make very accurate fakes, but just because I can don't mean I should. So no, I would never do that for any reason. I use my own, gosh darn it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of Fendery style guitars that are partscasters. None of them have any decal on the headstock (or anywhere else). I like it when guys get creative with a different name and logo so the headstock isn't just blank, but I have not tried that myself.

Here is a grey area question. What if you buy a genuine fender neck (complete with Fender logo) and bolt it to a Warmoth body? It is, after all, a real fender neck!

JuneauMike, drlucky and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

For arguments' sake, I'll explain why I did it ONCE.....and mostly regret it.....
    My former #1, a 1993 Telecaster got a Warmoth "Fender-licensed" conversion neck several years ago. My thoughts at the time were that a Fender body + Fender-licensed neck= Fender "enough" to justify the Fender decal. The Warmoth neck is clearly branded as such, and I would never sell the guitar without divulging the neck, and all its features.
    However.....when I built my own partscaster last year, even though it also has a Warmoth Fender-licensed neck, nothing else is Fender or Fender- licensed. Therefore, I put my own label on it.
    And.....as honest and "upfront" as any of us claim we would be, once the guitar is out of our hands, its origin is also out of our control. If I die, my heirs may or may not know the "technicalities" of a guitar's brand. Obviously, I can't control if a future owner put a Fender decal on a guitar I built, but I'm comfortable in the fact that I didn't do it.
    I'm not going to go back and REMOVE the Fender decal from my first Telecaster, but I feel there's enough obvious evidence that no one will mistake it for anything it's not.
    While I understand this subject comes up frequently, and some people find it redundant, I think it's good to mention regularly for new members, and those who may have missed threads in the past. ;)

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    FRAUDULENT PRODUCTS:
    Do not post about buying. selling or finding trademarked items such as counterfeit guitars, guitar products or decals. Nor may you post links to any such counterfeit goods. This creates legal issues for our website and we do not wish to promote these illegal items

Archtop Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.