Fender has your number!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Aug 15, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

And, they prove it year, after year, after year.

With an endless stream of model name changes (you know how dizzying that can be), minor tweaks (real or imagined) to neck profiles, fret sizes and shapes, minor tweaks to pickups (many practically indistinguishable from any other Fender pickups, but described as novel and amazing), and continual introduction of an infinite landscape of hundreds of various shades of delicious colors... Fender succeeds in convincing you that no matter how many Teles, Strats, Jags, etc. you may have... their NEWEST incarnations of those guitars are so different, so wonderful, so exciting that you feel compelled to acquire ever more Fender guitars. (I pause to take a breath.)

[​IMG]

They are brilliant business people and marketers, those folks at Fender. And, I'm glad that they are, because I don't know if we can ever have enough Fender guitars in the world. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Gotta do something to keep those 70 year old designs selling.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

This is normal. It's why the '56 Chevy looked a bit different from the '55 and the '57 looked a bit different (fins!) than the '56.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

That's true!

5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What you don't think they read this? It has there name on it.

6. DHart

Of course, we all know that pretty much any of these various model incarnations can substitute for another. They're all awesome guitars. My 45 year old Strat is just as enjoyable and nice today as it was when I bought it in the mid seventies. Are my recent model Strats better? Not really "better". Just a little different and fresher.

7. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As much as I love Fender, they really don't have my name. That is why I'm planning to build/assemble my next Strat. Fender comes real close but the main area where they lose me is with their finish. I want a true nitro finish with no stinking poly undercoat. In other words, a guitar finished the way they did in the early days. I won't order a custom Strat built to my specs because I can do it myself for far less money and no, it won't say Fender on it but it will be made to my specs. If Fender does in fact read these threads then maybe they should bring to market a production guitar without any poly on it. I'd buy one for sure even at a price point above current production Strats. I have a feeling I'm not the only person who feels this way. Come on Fender; Gibson is doing it!

8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Although I still buy their parts, I haven't bought an actual Fender Guitar in over 15 years. The Custom Shop stuff is over the top expensive for me and I can usually build something better and less expensive in the middle of the road guitars, so that's it for me. I have two Fender guitars and the rest I have built. Gibson's on the other hand are a different story.

drmordo likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Like every good Capitalist business, they rely on you, the consumer, to come back for repeat purchases. It isn't fair to compare them to auto manufacturers as at least there they are incorporating really new advances in technology. Guitars? Not so much. There isn't much change in the guitar world outside of colour and shape, and even not much change there. They rely on our desire to find the perfect guitar, the one we know we're looking for and will be out there one day, and the one that makes just the perfect sound, the tone, that only I can hear in my head. Just my $0.05.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are countless models with countless names, all pretty much just two guitars - the telecaster and the stratocaster. If they didn't offer all these minor tweaks with crazy names, and just sold "Stratocaster" and "Telecaster" every year, sales would drop annually until there was nothing left to sell.

Ironically, when someone sees you onstage playing your "Fender Artist Vintage/Modern Player's Retro Limited Edition Stratocaster", they're just seeing a guy playing a strat.

11. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yes, what's your point? This is a problem, how? :lol:

archetype likes this.
  12. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Leo really screwed future generations of guitar designers by getting it right the first time...

13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Taco Bell design. Same 5 ingredients mixed up in different ways but rarely correct.

Telecaster88 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Nice collection. It looks fun.

15. DHart

Guess you didn't read my post. You tell me how it's a "problem". :lol: I love them all.

16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Well, there’s a few more than that — Leo got it so right the third time!
    C844BC84-4E04-4463-AC30-4C4C7CD7007C.jpeg

scelestus, KT89 and Fretting out like this.
  17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Once I started building my own guitars I have pretty much lost interest in most production guitars.

TeleTown likes this.
  18. DHart

My interest in Fender production guitars, over that last few years, has been to find stripped-down bodies and necks, that I love, on Stratosphere... then building another dream guitar for myself. :lol: So, a new Fender model, now and then, may interest me if I like the body specs, the body color, or the neck specs (wood, profile, etc.) - then I hope to find parts on Stratosphere.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

You left out the annual price increase. :mad:

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

There are only so many things you can do to make a difference when your starting with, essentially, two blocks of wood and a couple or three pickups. The art, and Fender have it, is creating a new ‘need’ for a slightly altered 60+ year old piece of kit. Fender marketing gives rise to GAS.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.