Fender got drunk namm 2020

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Damnbirdchit

Damnbirdchit TDPRI Member

Thanks John - I pull it off when I change the strings. I've been playing it all night and all morning, and it's a very neat instrument. Would you buy a Lead 1 decal and re-apply it, or would that be hack? I'd like to have it on there so it doesn't look like a FMIC.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

In this case I would - if you can find one or get someone to re-create one for you. Back then they had the serial number on the face of the headstock under the logo.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Since that's a recreation of the late 60s Maverick then that could have been the case. I do know that model (and the Swinger model) were done by CBS to use up left-over parts, which is why it has the 12-string neck/headstock even though it's a 6-string. So the new one is shape-wise true to the original Maverick.

Found this photo of one formerly owned by Rick Nielsen from when he sold it on Reverb:

[​IMG]

4. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

A few years ago my brother and I talked about hoping Fender would re-release the series.. I remember thinking that the Lead II would be easiest as it uses the standard Strat single coils, although the Seth Lover HB's from the original series are just soooo sweet and versatile. I guess it would have been too expensive to retool those though, so, standard sized HB's on the new Lead III.

I'm glad they did now and I really might pick up a Lead II. One gripe for me though, the lack of white pickguards. I know they were only used for the last 6 months or so on the series but I always thought they looked better that way. Here's my 1983 Lead III (yes, the neck is dated to late January 83').

100_1325 (2).JPG

I bought this one a couple years ago locally and it was played VERY little. I replaced the saddles with Graph Techs and am loving it!

Blazer likes this.
  5. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Here’s my 1980. The finish was trashed by some previous owner that decided an overspray with a ton of orange peel was a thing that should be done. The good news was that the maroon didn’t mess with the neck finish.

I took it to Mark Kaiser who refin’d it in nitro back to its original black. Looks killer now and it plays great.

upload_2020-1-18_11-53-5.jpeg

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just another reissue of an old fender. Doesn’t really get me feeling one way or another. I think it’s strange that so many here don’t like it. I thought all most of the members here wanted from Fender was for them to not do anything new and just reissue old stuff? Guess we’re even more picky than I thought.

7. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Fender will never please everybody. If they do it as they are, 95% true to the originals, people will say they're boring or.... "if they were that good back then why didn't they sell better?".

On the other hand, if they took the Lead II and put a Strat trem and a three way lever switch there are a number of people who'll complain that the hardtail bridge and phasing switch was what set it apart and it should be there.

I like them and the price is right. If someone who's never played one should actually give them a try I think they'll see that the Leads are very ergonomically comfortable.

SASouth likes this.
  8. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

This.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the tele jazzmaster was pretty cool but more than i'm willing to spend.

10. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I like it why the hate?

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

All the old farts that remember when these first came out like em...I’m a card carrying old fart. I still like em.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that green is great.

13. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

Crimson Red and black looks good to me.

I think the only other through body hard tail is the Robert Cray Strat @ $924.99

14. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Not sure where Fender is going.....but the La Paloma model caught my eye. would love to see how it plays. Set neck and at an angle. It has a pretty deep carve. The bridge is very interesting. Looks like you have to slide the brass saddle into position for intonation and then screw them down. I never understood why bother with an angled neck design.
    Wade

la1.jpg la2.jpg la3.jpg la5.jpg

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I believe that bridge is a design Ron Thorn brought with him when he joined Fender as their first Principal Master Builder in the Custom Shop (the level above "Senior Master Builder") - he had that on some of his custom guitars.

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.