Fender got drunk namm 2020

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 16, 2020.

1. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

I don’t know if I’d buy one but I like the green color. I own traditionally painted guitars - blonde Tele, bourbon burst LP, black strat with white pickguard, and wine red LP (which I don’t love). I’m kinda over the traditional paint jobs. I want a neon colored super strat, too. 24 frets FR tremolo, etc., etc.

Toadtele likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's never too late for nostalgia!

sometimes it's too soon though

3. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Didn't expect some of You liking it, wow

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Well while I don't care much for the metallic green Lead II as a former owner I don't mind it coming back in the other colors (and the metallic purple Lead III is okay - but prefer the other colors on it as well). One of the reasons why I let my Lead II go was due to hand issues I couldn't play that narrow and reasonably fat neck (mine was a C not a U shape) so I wouldn't mind trying out one of the new ones with the Player modern C neck as found on Strats and Teles to see if that would work out for me - for nostalgia purposes.

6. dylanw

dylanw TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I remember when Fender introduce the Elite line (the one with the truss rod wheel) people reacted as if Fender was threatening to come to their houses to throw all their old Teles into a wood chipper. When Fender produced the Offset Telecaster, they were shocked and horrified that anyone could conceive of such an heretical abomination, in spite of the fact that people had been building similar guitars in the DIY forum for years.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Inventory.

FMIC had plenty of the toggles.

I appreciate why FMIC is trying to "rehab" the reputation of their company in some of those very dark days. I actually think the new MIMs will be better made, than the originals.

And once they're readily available, everyone will be reminded why they wouldn't buy one back then.

1980 was such a special time. Vehicles looked like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    61fury likes this.
  8. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Man that green is UGLY!!!

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The return of the Lead series was a surprise to me - although I firmly believe the '79 Lead II I used to own was better made than the average '79 Strat. Of course they made a bunch more Strats than Leads in 1979, and my Lead had that funky finish that turned milky and flaked off (mine wasn't as bad as many of them about that).

As for the switches - that I'm not sure of; maybe Seth Lover came up with that 2-toggle switching for the Lead I and they added it to the Lead II - as far as I can remember the toggle switches were unique to the Leads; they weren't the same toggles they used on amps. The Lead I had a 3-way toggle that let you pick the front coil of the humbucker, both coils, or the rear coil; the 2-way was a phase switch that put the coils in and out of phase in the "both coils" setting.

Back in the day both Elliott Easton and Steve Morse had modified Leads that had the Lead I humbucker and the Lead II neck single coil and added a 3rd toggle switch to the mix.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Green snot!!! Love it. Would I buy it? Nah! But the rest look good.

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dig those new leads, the green one is so ugly it's awesome.

Twin Fender Leads on this live version of a classic.

12. Damnbirdchit

Damnbirdchit TDPRI Member

Hey folks - weird coincidence - I had never heard of these, and just arranged to trade my late 90s epiphone Doubleneck for one today when I saw this news. Mine is a Lead 1, black with maple fretboard. It's in ok shape, but someone removed the headstock decals. How can I tell which year it is? It's super heavy (9+ lbs) and looks to have the original humbucker in it.
    Thanks
    Dan IMG_20200117_180636.jpg IMG_20200117_180636.jpg IMG_20200117_180656.jpg

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'd prefer the single coils over the humbuckers, but whether 1980 or 2020, it looks fine to me. Well, I personally wouldn't go with the neon green one, but I wouldn't say that the color choice was the result of inebriation, either. The black one and the Crimson Red look good.

But I would make some changes. For starters, I'd stay with the maple fretboard on the Crimson Red one, instead of the Pau Ferro. Also, I'm not sure what I'd do different as far as switching goes (3-way? 4-way? 5-way wired differently from a Strat?), but I'd lose the second toggle switch for phase reversal. And maybe move that Volume knob even a little further away from the bridge pickup.

upload_2020-1-17_20-32-53.png upload_2020-1-17_20-34-22.png upload_2020-1-17_20-35-47.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  14. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

E879B6E2-8CCE-4C2F-8104-190BD0207555.jpeg
    Same here. All my guitars are traditional looking. Got this for Xmas. Love it.

Jakedog and OldPup like this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The only way to tell would be to pull the neck and check for date stamps; it might possibly have some paper stickers with the serial number on it - Fender did that for a few years there. The papers stickers might be on the neck, the body and on the back of the pickguard.

But you can't go by serial numbers for Leads either - my Lead II had an E0xxxxx serial number and I got it the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 1979. Many years later I had some work done and when the neck was pulled the neck and body dates were from late October 1979.

Damnbirdchit likes this.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I like the black one okay actually.

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

18. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I think they got stoned and did this one?How do ya lean it against an amp.The Maverick Dorado. upload_2020-1-17_23-54-33.jpeg

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  19. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

it’s just like the early days when the original factory had wood eating bugs. But Leo wasn’t there to pitch the rotten wood.

not my cup of tea but these are super cool guitars. My brother got an original one back in the eighties. First guitar I ever played and it is incredibly nice and easy to play.

20. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

I'm not afraid to admit I like all three. The red one comes in at the top though, followed by the green with the black a distant third. I don't normally like brightly colored guitars, but their choice of pickguard/pickup/knob/neck color seems to balance nicely for the green guitar, in this picture at least. The black one looks rather bland and uninspiring next to the other two, unfortunately. If they had used the same pickup and knob colors on that I would be more interested, I think. Never been a fan (visually) of lots of black and chrome saddled with a light colored maple fretboard.

Considering the preponderance of BSB tele owners on this forum who absolutely insist on vintage-correct specs and materials and somehow mistake that for playability, build quality, and sound quality I don't blame you so much for being surprised. On the other hand, what's so shocking about these guitars? I see people trying to compare them to double cut LPs, but to me, they look like a slightly different strat shape. It's a good design, it works visually and the strat is one of the most comfortable guitars to play. If it's the green color that you're objecting to, lighten up. At least its not neon yellow or pink or, God forbid, something pastel (oh wait, we're supposed to like that here...Fiesta red/surf green/shell pink/burgundy mist/etc...ugh).

dylanw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.