Fender got drunk namm 2020

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

If it is I am filing a class action. Had a number of relatives on the Mayflower the Fullers and Soule. $8000.00:eek:

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The Lead series were good looking guitars IMO. Kind of a cross between a Fender and a Les Paul double cut. Glad to see them back, and cheap, and with maple necks. Too bad about the ugly truss rod access.

Here's a Lead I (modified with the addition of a Les Paul Custom pickup) that I completely stripped and refinished for my bandmate several years ago. Sorry for the bad pic. He took it, not me. But it's the only one I have of the guitar.

1233540_345354175602182_1968852612_n.jpg

kookaburra likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I had a Lead II from 1979 to 2015; the phase switch gave it a really nasal tone that was only semi-usable given that the original pickups were Fender "hot" pickup, the X-1. These new Player versions have 2 of the Player Strat pickups so it might be a bit more usable.

That's the way the originals were - Lead II had a 3-way selector switch and a 2-way phase switch.

The Lead I was the same way, but the 3-way worked the original humbucker (front coil/both coils/rear coil) and the phase switch worked when you were in the both coils position.

The original Lead III had 2 3-way switches - the 3-way selector and the other 3-way selected the humbucker coils kind of oddly - switch up gave you the inside coil of the neck pickup, in the middle both pickups were humbuckers, and in the down position it gave you the rear coil of the bridge pickup.

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I was away from TDPRI for a while (sorta). It seems like the recurring theme these days for any new product is "It's ugly and it's too expensive."

:D:confused:

dylanw, Jim622, tfarny and 1 other person like this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

After screwing up so much of their brand I'd imagine they've got a lot of pallets laying around that they don't need to ship freight on anymore. So, yeah.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  6. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I actually kinda like it. Although, it does look like the knobs & switches are a little crowded, but who knows.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

That gets me thinking.....

I cant wait for 2021, when Fender Custom shop makes a batch of $10k 5E3s made out of wood repurposed from Firebird Xs.....

;)

8. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I always liked those design-wise. That said, every one I ever picked up was an absolute boat anchor. I suspect they might have remedied that.

9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Everything is too expensive.....

But I'll defend the bright green. When Dan-o did the "Dead on" whatevers some years back, it was hard to find the bright, Interesting colors in stores. Those were like $200ish guitars though, so the financial impact was similar to picking up a squire that looked neat.

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting...back then, I never noticed guitars or amps (my Twin Reverb and Super Reverb) being heavy.

bo likes this.
  11. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

The green is a bit much for my tastes, but I’d rock either of the other two, kinda dig the phase switching.

kookaburra likes this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

wasn't that amp posted here as a home made project about 6 months ago?

I know I made a comment on it

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. I actually LOVE the black one with maple fretboard. I picture it doing great with higher-output sc pickups. The controls look to be an ergonomic nightmare however and I cannot for the life of me imagine why you'd want to put two low output SC strat pickups in parallel-out-of-phase (and furthermore put the switch RIGHT where you'd accidentally hit it during your solo!)
    But the body shape, and two angled SCs? Super cool.

14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I like it too, as it kind of reminds me of an updated Mustang. I applaud Fender for bringing back some of their lesser known models like this.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd rather have series/parallel (in phase) for the SC pups.

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Too gadget-y for me. :rolleyes:

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know what they're thinking..

Capture.JPG

18. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

why would anyone want one of those plywood guitars? Oh - because the internet said it was cool. Sorry.

19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Daphne blue thinline magico they introduced looks sexy as hell. Looking forward to someone around here dumping one on Craigslist so I can try it out.

dtyndall likes this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Maybe it’s going to bring interest back into the lead series and add value to the original leads

It’s a shame they Don’t have the wonderful thick u shape with thin nut that mine has one of my favorite necks ever

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.