Fender Fuse Software discontinued?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Telecaster88, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Hey all, I bought a Super Champ X2 last fall and am very happy with it. I've never used the Fuse software with it, just tweaked it manually to get the sounds I like. For some reason it just occurred to me to download Fuse and check it out...

And... It has been discontinued?!? What? Anybody know the scoop? Is there any way to still get the software even if it's "no longer supported"? Has Fender released new software to replace it? Even though I've never used it and am happy with the amp as is, this has me strangely bummed.

Pasta Player likes this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I found it still on Fender's site a few days ago. Already had it installed, but downloaded it anyway, just for a backup.

It will still continue to work, but the forum and uploaded presets are gone.

I never found many of the Fender or user uploaded presets to be of much use for me. Far better to make my own.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    nick0 and Pasta Player like this.
  3. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Thanks for the download link @ZenGuitarist!
    *Now I don’t have to figure out which computer I previously had it loaded on.
    Just bought a used SCX2 Head and was gonna have to go looking for FUSE.

Was great to make my own presets - featuring settings that I wanted to return to.

telegramsam likes this.
  5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party software package that will enable connectivity with the SC XD Head?

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Be sure to do a factory reset of the voices, first. That will give you a baseline to tweak from and, if you really mess things up, you can reset back to that baseline. From the manual...

FACTORY PRESET RESTORE — To restore all presets to their factory settings: Press and hold the TAP button for 4 seconds until the TAP LED lights up. Release the TAP button; the TAP LED will stay lit during the restore process (about 5 seconds). When the TAP LED goes out, restore is complete. You can back up valued presets before the restore function is performed using Fender FUSE software.

Djentleman Dan and Pasta Player like this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

No software will do that. The SCXD doesn't have a hardware interface so that software can talk to the DSP.

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

And this is why I shy away from software-based gear. Here today, gone tomorrow.

corliss1 likes this.
  10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Super Champs are still being sold all over the country... What do you 'spose is Fender's thinking here?

bsman and Pasta Player like this.
  11. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

If you have an Android device, check out Remuda it's an app that allows you to control Mustang amps from a phone/tablet. Much better than Fuse and still supported, I use it on my V2 Mustang, it may work on yours as well.

privatesalt and nick0 like this.
  12. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Like to think that newer software & "possibly improved" might be on the horizon but...
    with Fender shutting down the Fender Forums, that doesn't seem to bode very well.

ABOVE, coupled with the fact that Fender no longer offers replacement DSP boards.

Prospective new / remaining SCX2 buyers... caveat emptor!

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I suggest never be reliant upon software for your tone. Guaranteed obsolescence.

Fearnot likes this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I just worked the knobs on this thing until I was happy with my sound. Didn't want to have to deal with the software... Just generally surprised Fender discontinued support for Fuse without have a replacement ready to go.

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

When it comes to electronics, I'm a firm supporter of two basic principles: the KISS principle and the WYSIWYG principle. ;)

I want to "see" my settings. :cool:

Whatizitman likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Me too.

But WYSIWYG is somewhat misleading in this context, as it was used to define editing software for "graphical user interfaces", as opposed to actual hardware interfacing like turning knobs on an all analog circuit pedal. So I take it one step further. I'm a firm supporter in all things analog. Not that I'm against DSP or GUI. Far from it. Just for my purposes outside of recording/editing/mixing, KISS means little or no ADC. Just me, guitar, a pedal or two (or none), and an amp. Anything after a mic'ed amp is fair game, though. KISS still applies. That's just me. Laziness sometimes makes for good engineering. :D

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps. But for me, WYSIWYG translates to clearly marked knobs and switches on a control panel, not an obscure reference to a preset value or memory location. :rolleyes:

Whatizitman likes this.
  18. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Having come from the tech world, where tons of products have software, firmware and hardware interfaces, I find it incomprehensible that Fender would not have a third party continue to host the FUSE app. They really let us down with this poor product management decision for the Super Champ Head.

bsman likes this.
  19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Question out of curiosity. I've used Fuse on a Mustang amp. Cool, but more trouble than it was worth for my purposes. I've never used a Super Champ, though. Is the amp still "useful" without FUSE? I know that will limit changing models/effects and some EQ. But is it still usable on its own? There's gonna be quite a few owners with bricks, if they are not. :eek: I was ok using the Mustang amp with stock settings. So no biggie. But how about the SC?

20. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

This is very interesting. Right now, all of my amps are pretty low-wattage and I had been considering amps in the 15-watt range. The Super Champ X2 was pretty high on my list, but this is going to knock it down quite a bit, because unless I'm mistaken, the fuse interface is required to access the midrange part of the tone-stack... Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.