Fender FSR Tele Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by lstdukestking, Feb 17, 2020.

1. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

I picked up a Fender FSR Tele from Guitar Center about 5 years ago. In my opinion the pickups are kind of weak. Not much volume. Am I delusional? I've been wanting Joe Barden pups for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it. Will that change things?

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a silly question, but an obvious one: have you tried to adjust the pickup’s height?

El Tele Lobo and Fretting out like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

What model Tele - FSR doesn't necessarily mean anything special other than colours and some features. If it's an otherwise standard Tele it certainly might struggle with Gatton tones. He has quite a specific sound.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I got the Squier FSR Esquire. I had to lower that quite a bit until I was happy.

Andertons set up checklist wasn't worth squat. I had to fix some obvious things on mine. I'm still tweaking it.

5. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have the same Tele, and it just has slightly hot wound ceramic pickups. Mine definitely does not have volume issues, these are a fairly hot pickup. I happened to like mine with the switch in the middle position...pretty muddy in the neck, and ice-picky bright in the bridge. Together I quite liked the tone. But I like to switch between pickups...(sometimes on the fly), so I ended up swapping those stock MIM pickups for Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups, and I've never been happier about my tone with the switch in any of the three positions!

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try some Cavaliers, Bootstraps or Sunday Handwounds.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Mine is a 2012 FSR. The ceramics in the FSR are slightly hot and volume should not be an issue. I spent some time adjusting the heights to where I liked them. I switched mine out about six years later to the CS Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set like in the Bajas. Perfect for my blues/blues rock. YMMV.

10. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Love the pickups on my new CV Pinecaster. Weak? Well - weaker would be more correct because if you want real high frequency twang then overwound pickups are not the way to go. The more winds, the thicker the sound gets. Might be exactly what some players want to overdrive an input but for tele twang an average of 6.0k to 6.5k (42 AWG) is about right. I actually lower my pickups for the bright sound I want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.