Fender FSR Serial number

bobframe

TDPRI Member
I am considering a Fender American Vintage '62 Strat but want to be certain its legit. The serial number appears to be on the neck plate and reads LEO#### (note, I'm using # instead of the actual numbers). It seems like an odd S/N...but is a limited run, I guess its possible.

Fender Customer service is hold-time-from-hell and the online serial number decoder gives me nothing.

Can any of you Strat-sleuths decode this?

John C

Friend of Leo's
Yes, on some limited editions they did use serial numbers that started with an LE or an SE. I suspect that the one you're looking at starts with an LE0 - the is a "zero"/"0" not an "O". I recall the last batches of AVRI '62s in FSR colors that was out in 2011/2012 used the "LE" serial numbers - I remember tropical turquoise and there was some other color also.

EDIT: removed link as neither @Tuxedo Poly nor I could get it to work. You'll have to create an account on Fender.com; there you can find another link where you can look up serial numbers (as if you're going to register ownership of the guitar).

And use LE0xxxx not LEOxxxx.

Last edited:

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
That Fender serial link doesn't work for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a few more oddball Fender serials
AMXN + 6 DIGITS
California Series electric guitars and basses, '97 and '98 (The California Series instruments with an AMXN prefix share U.S./Mexico origin.)

MSN + 6 DIGITS
Some Mexico made Artist model instruments

DN + 6 DIGITS
American Deluxe series instruments, '98 and '99

NC(XXXXXX)
Squier® Strat® Bullets® (dating unclear)

FN(XXXXXX)
U.S. made guitars and basses destined for the export market. Some may have stayed in the U.S. or found their way back (Made to Standard Strat specs, dating unclear)

H(XXXXXX), I(XXXXXXX), K(XXXXXX)
A limited number of these "H", "I" and "K" series guitars were made in '89 and '90. They were made for the export market and have Made in USA stamped on the heel of the neck. Serial numbers are on the front of the headstock.

LE(XXXXXX)
Blonde Jazzmasters® and Jaguars® with Gold hardware made in 1994. Sold as a promotional 3 piece set with a Blonde Deluxe Reverb Amp. Also used on many FSRs starting in the 2000s.

CN(XXXXX), R(XXXXX), V(XXXXXX)
Many US Custom Shop Instruments

CA(XXXXX)
Gold Strat 1981, 82 and 83

CB(XXXXX)
Precision Bass® Special from 1981, CB(XXXXX) Gold Jazz Bass from 1982

CC(XXXXX)
Walnut Strat 1981-82-83

CE(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special from 1981, Black and Gold Tele from 1981-82

CD(XXXXX), CO(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special (Walnut) from 1982

GO(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special (Walnut) from 1982, Gold Strat 1982-83

D(XXXXXX)
Jazz Bass® from 1982

EE(XXXXXX)
Some U.S. made instruments from the mid to late '80s made specifically for export to Europe had an EE prefix

SE(XXXXXX), SN(XXXXXX), SZ(XXXXXX), CZ(XXXXXX)
Signature Series Instruments

SE8(XXXXX)-'88, SE9(XXXXX)-'89

SN0(XXXXX)-'90, SN1(XXXXX)-'90, SN2(XXXXX)-'92, etc.

SZ0(XXXXX)-'00, SZ1(XXXXX)-'01, SZ2(XXXXX)-'02, etc.

3 DIGITS OF 500
35TH Anniversary Strat from 1989-1990

G(XXXXXX)
"STRAT®" from about 1980, (Gold hardware, 2 position rotary tone switch)

4 DIGITS STAMPED ON BRIDGE PLATE
U.S. '52 Vintage Telecaster® 1982-1988 (Check neck date for specific year)

5 DIGITS STAMPED ON BRIDGE PLATE
U.S. '52 Vintage Telecaster 1988-present (Check neck date for specific year)

TN(XXXXXX)
Tribute series instruments

C(XXXXXX)
Collectors Series

XN(XXXXX)
FSRs and '52 Teles (Note: the XN prefix typically does not appear on the instrument itself, but it is a prefix that is entered in our OS database.)

EJ(XXXXX)
Eric Johnson Signature Stratocasters

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
NC(XXXXXX)

I can say with a good amount of certainty that the NC Strat Bullets were 1994; I have one and they are somewhat desirable.

Full-thickness body and the large Bullet logo on the top lobe of the headstock.

John C

Friend of Leo's
That Fender serial link doesn't work for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a few more oddball Fender serials
AMXN + 6 DIGITS
California Series electric guitars and basses, '97 and '98 (The California Series instruments with an AMXN prefix share U.S./Mexico origin.)

MSN + 6 DIGITS
Some Mexico made Artist model instruments

DN + 6 DIGITS
American Deluxe series instruments, '98 and '99

NC(XXXXXX)

FN(XXXXXX)
U.S. made guitars and basses destined for the export market. Some may have stayed in the U.S. or found their way back (Made to Standard Strat specs, dating unclear)

H(XXXXXX), I(XXXXXXX), K(XXXXXX)
A limited number of these "H", "I" and "K" series guitars were made in '89 and '90. They were made for the export market and have Made in USA stamped on the heel of the neck. Serial numbers are on the front of the headstock.

LE(XXXXXX)
Blonde Jazzmasters® and Jaguars® with Gold hardware made in 1994. Sold as a promotional 3 piece set with a Blonde Deluxe Reverb Amp. Also used on many FSRs starting in the 2000s.

CN(XXXXX), R(XXXXX), V(XXXXXX)
Many US Custom Shop Instruments

CA(XXXXX)
Gold Strat 1981, 82 and 83

CB(XXXXX)
Precision Bass® Special from 1981, CB(XXXXX) Gold Jazz Bass from 1982

CC(XXXXX)
Walnut Strat 1981-82-83

CE(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special from 1981, Black and Gold Tele from 1981-82

CD(XXXXX), CO(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special (Walnut) from 1982

GO(XXXXX)
Precision Bass Special (Walnut) from 1982, Gold Strat 1982-83

D(XXXXXX)
Jazz Bass® from 1982

EE(XXXXXX)
Some U.S. made instruments from the mid to late '80s made specifically for export to Europe had an EE prefix

SE(XXXXXX), SN(XXXXXX), SZ(XXXXXX), CZ(XXXXXX)
Signature Series Instruments

SE8(XXXXX)-'88, SE9(XXXXX)-'89

SN0(XXXXX)-'90, SN1(XXXXX)-'90, SN2(XXXXX)-'92, etc.

SZ0(XXXXX)-'00, SZ1(XXXXX)-'01, SZ2(XXXXX)-'02, etc.

3 DIGITS OF 500
35TH Anniversary Strat from 1989-1990

G(XXXXXX)
"STRAT®" from about 1980, (Gold hardware, 2 position rotary tone switch)

4 DIGITS STAMPED ON BRIDGE PLATE
U.S. '52 Vintage Telecaster® 1982-1988 (Check neck date for specific year)

5 DIGITS STAMPED ON BRIDGE PLATE
U.S. '52 Vintage Telecaster 1988-present (Check neck date for specific year)

TN(XXXXXX)
Tribute series instruments

C(XXXXXX)
Collectors Series

XN(XXXXX)
FSRs and '52 Teles (Note: the XN prefix typically does not appear on the instrument itself, but it is a prefix that is entered in our OS database.)

EJ(XXXXX)
Eric Johnson Signature Stratocasters

I usually use the link that you get when you're registering a Fender - after you log into your account on Fender.com. I just tried the link I posted yesterday and it didn't work for me either. I'll edit my post to remove the link.

bobframe

TDPRI Member
I searched internet for other examples of this odd serial number configuration and saw lots of LEOxxxx serial numbers on back plates of . I thin k this was a FSR of limited number (500ish??) AV62's
Yes, on some limited editions they did use serial numbers that started with an LE or an SE. I suspect that the one you're looking at starts with an LE0 - the is a "zero"/"0" not an "O". I recall the last batches of AVRI '62s in FSR colors that was out in 2011/2012 used the "LE" serial numbers - I remember tropical turquoise and there was some other color also.

EDIT: removed link as neither @Tuxedo Poly nor I could get it to work. You'll have to create an account on Fender.com; there you can find another link where you can look up serial numbers (as if you're going to register ownership of the guitar).

And use LE0xxxx not LEOxxxx.
Thanks John...appreciate the "0 vs. "O" guidance. The Limited Edition is consistent with my understanding that this model is one of an FSR.

Bangdapoontwang

Tele-Meister
I have a AVRI 57 and it has the LE0 serial because it’s a Limited Edition with all Nitro finish and also a FSR because of the Candy Apple Red color.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Even if the serial’s legit, and if you haven’t already, try finding photo reference for the exact same FSR guitar as bits do get swapped and also some features that can look ‘off’ can actually be stock on FSRs if they’re one of Fender’s hot-rodded specs.

guitarmikey

Tele-Afflicted
I have a 2011 FSR AVRI '62 strat (turqoise), only 250 made.
Serial starts with LE then zero and some other numbers.
(pic is not mine...)

Attachments

• es131010_750_6.jpg
    es131010_750_6.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 22

Glen W

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My early 2007 thin skin '54 Strat: SE (zero) ****

John C

Friend of Leo's
My early 2007 thin skin '54 Strat: SE (zero) ****

Fender used both on the limited editions; it seems like they tended to use the SE on a lot of the Thin Skin models that were done for Wildwood and Daves, but they would also use the LE numbers as well. The 2011/2012 tropical turquoise/candy apple red AVRI '62 Strat runs were made available to multiple dealers, so that might be why they used the LE numbers on them instead of the SE numbers. But this is Fender and there really could be no rhyme or reason as to why they use SE on one FSR and LE on another.

Bangdapoontwang

Tele-Meister
That is most likely one of the special run 62avri they did at the same tone as the 57. They used the same neck plates. That guitar should be a special color like tropical turquoise and also be nitro finish.

guitarmikey

Tele-Afflicted
guitarmikey, We have the same guitar. Can you tell me what case candy yours came with? Thanks so much, Bob

Sure, it came with brown case (gray cable, 5 pos switch, black leather strap, extra trem spring, trem cover),
but I sold it and bought a blue one, assorted strap as well...

Attachments

• IMAG1204.jpg
    IMAG1204.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20
  • $_527.JPG
    $_527.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 20
  • $_577.JPG
    $_577.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg