1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender FMT Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CA_Dan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Tele-Meister

Anyone know of a good resource to learn about these teles? Looks like an interesting, non-traditional tele (although not really much tele in its DNA other than body and headstock shape).

Mahogony body and set neck, rosewood fingerboard (I think...), flamed maple top (thus the FMT designation), dual humbuckers with coil tap, 25.5 scale, 16" radius fretboard, made in Korea. That's about all I know. Curious about production years, variations, colors, etc.

Anyone?:confused:

2. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

I've owned the crimson red and the black cherryburst... The latter looked amazing and looked like a much more expensive guitar. The Korean build quality on those is excellent. Both of them came from the factory flawless.

Think more SG than Tele. It's also got a thin neck and jumbo frets which is very untele like and takes some getting used to. But a very good guitar for the money. The early ones had fender pickups which i actually liked.... later they put seymour duncans in but I swapped those out for some P94's and then later some SD P-rails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

Love this guitar!

I own 6 Teles, and one of them is a transparent blue FMT(they didn't make this color very long, so they are harder to find in blue). The only mod I made on it was to put cream colored rings around the HB pickups. I love everything about this guitar - it's lightweight, comfortable, sounds great, looks great and plays great! Certainly not your traditional Tele, and won't give you that Les Paul sound either. What you get is a nice mix...push-pull switch for SC, or HB sound, but the sound is generally not quite Tele SC sound or Les Paul HB sound. However, it has a real nice sound - I thought I was going to replace the PU's(these were Fender PU's), since it wasn't an expensive guitar, but man was I wrong. I love these PU's. I love this guitar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My FMT (in front), with my blueburst Tele Plus

4. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Tele-Meister

Wow - the finish on these look great for such a low priced guitar. I think I'm going to pick one up. That cherryburst looks nice, or maybe an amber one. Thanks all for the comments and great pictures.

One question - does the coil tap switch only affect one pup or both?

5. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

coil tap affects both pickups.

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Tele-Meister

I've had one as my main guitar for quite sometime. Great sound and playability.

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey Zum & Howard....whay did you guys have do that? Jeez. I thought I was done Jonesin' for a new Tele for a while. Wonder if these are tough to find?

8. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

They used to be at guitar center a few years ago, but haven't seen them around the last few years. They're available at the big internet retailers and you can find them used on EBay for about $400.

9. hecubus

hecubus Tele-Meister

The new spalted maple one is one of the nicest guitars I've seen in a while. I think these are made by the same folks making schecters. The one's I've played felt like they were more narrow at the nut than a typical fender neck.

10. whitey

whitey TDPRI Member

I really like the look of that black cherry burst, I have the crimson red transparent and I really like it. Mine has the seymour duncan pickups (pearly gates in the bridge and I'm not sure about the neck).

I found mine in a pawn shop and got it for $300 out the door.

I really like the distorted sounds that it can make, but it seems like I kind of have a battle getting a nice clean sound (although it could be me too...:rolleyes:)

11. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

I owned one of the Spalted Maple versions a while back and it was an exquisite looking and nice sounding guitar. The build quality was first rate with nice binding on the body and the fingerboard.
    It had abalone dot inlays, graphite nut, seymour Duncan 59 neck and Pearly Gates Plus Bridge pups. ;)

What can be bad with any of that? Nothing! But as it seems to go sometimes with guitars.....I just wasn't getting on with this one for some reason? It really seemed that the neck and fret size just didn't suit me so i let it go.....Oh well,
    i would still highly recommend one, given the price/value ratio you can't go wrong and it may be perfect for you giving you a different dimension than your regular Tele.
    BTW, this one sold for $375.00

Heres the one that got away....:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

13. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

I sold mine for the same reason. As beautiful as it was, the neck was too slim and the frets were like speed bumps for me....

14. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Tele-Meister

Oh man! I hope I can find one like that for $375. That's a real looker!

15. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

I lost a little on that one.....but such is life and guitar GAS!:rolleyes:
    I would look into whether or not you have any Music Go Round stores in your area, they may have one floating around.
    You can often look up inventory at the store right over the web if they are owned by a good operator and update regularly.

They also pop up on ebay quite frequently.

Good Luck in your search!

16. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Tele-Meister

Thanks - I'll check into it.

17. rikohio

rikohio TDPRI Member

I love these guitars

Im primarily a strat guy as well, but i dig this tele. Its not my most expensive guitar but its certainly one of my favorites. I have a first year [i believe its 1996] FMT Tele Custom in Transparent Amber finish. Set neck, fully bound with a killer flame maple top. Rosewood fretboard and abalone dot inlays [including a first fret marker which i havent seen on any others?] It has Sperzel locking tuners, Graphtech saddles and string tress, WCR pickups (Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge) and WCR pots.
    A tele monster.

[​IMG]

18. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Just picked one up on ebay earlier this month. Having a few minor mechanical issues taken care of by a skilled tech and hoping to have it back this week to put through its paces. It really is gorgeous looking and an incredible value as far as I can tell from the limited playing time I've had with it. I'm adding it to my two other main axes - a black '78 tele and a honey blonde highway one strat circa 2002 or so. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.