1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Factory Faults - Vintera Road Worn Tele LPB

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Apr 18, 2021.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Hi All,

As a long-time lover of Fender products, I don't want to go slagging FMIC as I've always been satisfied with the quality of my Fender purchases.

With that said, I'm looking to buy a Fender Vintera Road Worn '50s Tele in Lake Placid Blue. I decided to look around on the Sweetwater site and see that there are four currently available to choose from. Two of those four have some pretty obvious screw-ups...

First off, here's one with the wrong string retainer (SN MX21055015) - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ric-guitar-lake-placid-blue?serial=MX21055015

[​IMG]

And here's one with the wrong bridge (and I think the wrong bridge pickup too...it seems like all of the others have black wrapping) (SN MX21028630) - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ric-guitar-lake-placid-blue?serial=MX21028630

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What can I say? I'm just a bit surprised and disappointed to see guitars with these inconsistencies leaving the factory.

Telekarster, Festofish and Fendereedo like this.
  2. ebsbert

ebsbert TDPRI Member

Also that "wrong" pickup has staggered pole pieces and the others don't. So it's definitely a different pickup!

I wonder how the cut down bridge compares to the full bridge tonally. :)

Festofish and Fendereedo like this.
  3. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

That bridge pickup looks like the gray-bottom pickup on a 64 AV tele. If it is, consider yourself lucky ;)

mimmo, RYAN1987M and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That's just sloppy.

Festofish and RYAN1987M like this.
  5. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The new RW do have the brass saddles. The bridge pickup looks to be a copy of mid 50s staggered pole with white rope style pickup. The real ones had black bottoms.

The butterfly clip started in 1956. Maybe Fender started to do a run like the one on Sweatwater. Maybe. But it would fit into a 50s style.

If you are interested call them up and ask about that guitar.

Being they are made in mexico I would doubt it has a vintage 64 pickup in the bridge.

It could be an odd one for sure. I would ask about it. It possibe SW won't know anyway.

You could always contact Fender with those pictures. Since two of them are like that it could be they are making some like that.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  6. RYAN1987M

And, for added clarity...

Re the string retainer...all other examples of this same model (Vintera RW '50s Tele in LPB) have the more 'old-school' circular-style one.

Re the bridge / bridge assembly...again, all other examples of this same model show a more vintage-correct bridge without the cutdown side edges.

Of the four examples currently available on the Sweetwater website - 3 of 4 have the circular string retainer and 3 of 4 have the vintage-style bridge with the edges.

2 of the 4 guitars (one has the wrong string retainer and a different one has the wrong bridge) have a part which deviates from the listed Fender specs and all other examples of these guitars which I can find (both at Sweetwater and many other retailers).

Surely just a mix-up at the factory with the workers grabbing a part from the wrong bin...but still pretty bad in my books and not indicative of what I'd expect from Fender.

7. blues

Contact Fender. Yes it could be a screw up. FWIW I don't trust SW.

RevBillyG likes this.
  8. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

The string retainer is not a deal breaker as I have the butterfly on both of my 58 reissues. The bridge and pickup on the other hand who knows.

9. blues

Thats probably because Fender started using the butterfly in 1956

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

These aren’t AVs, so I don’t know how a “50s” anything can be a screw up when it’s just the summation of various 50s features.

FWIW, I appreciate Sweetwater showing exactly what I’m buying before I buy it, as the pics are not stock, but the actual guitar I’m going to buy. If they are generic photos, it’s usually because they have none in stock at the moment.

[edit] The chopped bridge model is funny though, nice upgrade :)

blues likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely a screw up, but Sweetwater would usually catch something like that. They are beyond picky about quality control issues, from what I understand from my friend who worked as a builder for G&L, and another who builds for ESP/Takamine.

It's not the proper "chain of command" for the possible customer, or even the actual purchaser, to contact Fender about this. You aren't Fender's customer. Sweetwater is. You are Sweetwater's customer. You tell Sweetwater the problem, and they tell Fender. You contact Fender for warranty issues or product information that a retailer can't provide.

At any rate, it's already sold. I was gonna drop my Sweetwater salesman a message asking for us all...but too late, I guess. Whoever bought it might get dinged on non-originality grounds during re-sale. I certainly would not believe that it was all original, if I saw it on the used market.

12. blues

Is the one with the white rope pickup in stock. I will check it out. Ok yes it is.

13. blues

I just checked out a Vintera 60s Modifed body in LPB. It has the correct white rope pickup. So yes it could be a screw up with the RW. I would think they same output as well.

14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

There was A VERY BRIEF period early '56 where the butterfly string retainer was up by the G string post, before they moved it down by the A post.

So, since these are non year specific “ ‘50s Telecasters “ somebody might like that peculiarity.

blues likes this.
  15. RYAN1987M

I think some are missing the point slightly...regarding the screen shots, it's not about whether those parts are vintage correct...it's that they don't match what's on many other examples of the exact same model of guitar.

I'm shopping for one of these - a Vintera Road Worn '50s Tele in LPB - and I've probably had eyes on 30 different examples of this same guitar between Sweetwater, Wildwood, Reverb, and various other retailers who don't simply reuse the stock photos from the Fender website...and the two examples from the original post are ones with QC errors. Hypothesizing here...but the workers likely somehow grabbed and installed the wrong parts on the two unique serial number examples from the OP.

Telekarster likes this.
  16. blues

Thanks good to know. I was not talking about placement though. Just when they began.

jfgesquire likes this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

the faults are not as disappointing as the stock finishing work on the RW, hahaha. they seriously feel like partscasters to the touch. if i had never played one and grabbed that one, i would be much more offended by the finish (not aesthetically, just how half baked they feel). CS relics they are not.

18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After getting the frets nipped it plays pretty well. Some folks don’t care about fret ends but for an $1100 Fender...I expected better. I’ve got the ‘70s Roadworn Tele Dlx in white.

19. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

The cut down sides are a lot more comfortable. Glad I made the swap

ebsbert likes this.
  20. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I'm not surprised at all, they're mass produced instruments.

QC is not what it was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.