Fender Excelsior in Blues Junior Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jshape, Nov 1, 2019.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Strange question, but I like to tinker with my gear and make one-of-a-kind concoctions. I’ve got an original Fender Excelsior amp with the first generation Chinese speaker, which I’m not crazy about. I came across someone selling an emptied out Blues Junior cabinet on Craigslist and a G12 speaker. I’m wondering if anyone knows the dimensions and ins and outs of the two well enough to know if it would be an easy fit to put the guts of the Excelsior into the Blues Junior cab with the 12 inch speaker? I'm thinking it might be quite the upgrade for the Excelsior to pair with the Celestion. Plus I've always thought the Excelsior cab would look cool as just an extension cab paired with a small low wattage head, so I'd already have a jump on my next project. Would this work?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt it. The Excelsior top unit is narrow although tall and deep, but the bottom power section is full width inside the 15" cab. Plus the components inside - be a big ask to cram it in.

There's no room for those big boxes plus speaker

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Damn, I think you're right. I'm looking at the power amp, and it takes every bit of the 19.5" width of the cab. Blues Junior dimensions list the width at 18". Not a huge difference, but enough that it probably won't work.

4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Just find a 15' speaker you like from a bunch out there, or resize the baffle on the Fender Excelsior;):)

15'' speaker picks,,,

JBL D130
    JBL K130
    Weber Blue Dog 15"
    Weber Cali 15"
    Weber Neo Mag 15"
    Weber 15F150
    Jensen Neo 15-150
    Eminence Legend 115

Kreepy likes this.
  5. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Shuster got it right. Putting the 12 in the excelsior is the easiest way to go. Wouldn't be hard to undo if you didn't like it.

Shuster likes this.
  6. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I put an old Jensen P15R in my Exy and it rawks. Minimal impact on weight, also. The Altec 421 I put in the other one definitely made it heavier.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The CAB is the best thing about the Excelsior!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.