Fender EC Tremolux Schematic needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caprace, Jan 12, 2015.

1. caprace

caprace NEW MEMBER!

I am looking for a EC Tremolux schematic...does anyone have one to share.

Thanks in advance !

2. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

I wish! From what I gather, V1 is the 1st gain stage (only half used), V2 is the second gain stage + PI, and the third 12AX7 (V6?) is for the tremolo.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would think that if one compared that circuit to a 5E3 plus the bias vary tremolo circuit from a late '50's Tremolux or Vibrolux, one would find the basis for that amp. IT would depend on where that bias variance for the trem occurs in the circuit as to which late '50's tweed that amp resembles. The5E9A Tremolux has cathode biasing like the 5E3....so one might think this is the basis for the modern EC Tremolux. The bias variance acts on the PI output in that circuit, The 5G9 Tremolux has fixed bias and the trem functions on the input to the power tubes....something closer to the 6G3 Deluxe, 6G2 Princeton and AB763 Princeton amps.
    The 5E11 Vibrolux has fixed bias and the trem functions acts on the preamp tube.
    IT would be interesting to trace that EC tremolux circuit and see what they did with the trem.

4. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

I don't know how the trem works, but the EC Tremolux differs from the 5E3 circuit by being fixed bias with one channel.

5. Wally

Kelsey, do you still have your EC Tremolux? IF so, do you have a good picture of the inside of that amp? I would love to see that.

6. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

I can take some pics of mine if you want, but not very technical with amps so pot luck if I get it right!

7. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Sorry if it's a bit dark, but can do more tomorrow, it's night time here in the uk.

Attached Files:

8. Wally

EHnfield, thansk for the effort. I don't know if I coudl deduce what is going on there from pics, but the pics would have to be bbetter lighted than those in order for anything of any detail to be seen.

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

I have one that might help, but I don't have a way to post. I can send it via email or FB.

10. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

I was shooting at night on a dimly lit room, not surprised their a bit rubbish! I can do again with a flash if you want. Is their a particular area, or as previous composition?
    I thought I had a schematic with the original user guide but can't locate that either!!

11. Wally

Kelsey, if you post a reply using the 'Post Reply' option at the bottom here, you can post pics directly from your computer. Below teh message box in teh reply option, you will find 'Manage Attachments". Hit that and follow the prompts. IF that doesn't get the pic up, feel free to PM or email me with it. Much appreciated either way.

Henfield, I dont' know what I would be able to see....b.ut this thread and another one or two have me curious as to what goes on in that amp. One wants to see everything there in perhaps 3 shots taken traversing across the chassis...amp upright, shooting at an angle that exhibits both the tube sockets and the board. AND...shot of the pots and the board, also. Your next to last shot is perfect for that except ndr the lighting.
    Tweeds are harder to photo since that chassis is a deep and narrow box, in effect....hard to get what you want in the picture compared to the later FE nders that have a more accessible interior.
    And...much appreciation to you also, Henfield.

12. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

No probs, will do over the weekend.

13. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

14. Wally

I am giving that a try, t-luxe. IF it is that easily obtained, one wonders why it is not on the 'net somewhere, though. We'll see.

thanks for the suggestion.

15. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I got the schem for my '68 CDR from them with no problem. Probably helps if you tell them you're an owner/prospective owner.

16. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

EC Tremolux gut shot.

Let's see if this works.

Attached Files:

17. Wally

You got it there, Kelsey. I can't see whatI woudl like to see, though....it might be impossible to get it...but.... 3 pics at closer range with better light to exhibit that chassis and board in roughly 3 sections MIGHT allow oen to deduce what goes on there.
    Maybe Fender will break loose with a schematic soemday. If the amp is fixed biased, tehn it is a take on the 5F11 or the 5G9...depending on the bias vary tremolo placement. this puts the amp very close to the 6G2 Princeton and the 6G3 Deluxe amps.

18. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

I understood they were similar to a 5E3 with added preamp tube for tremolo. I have played a couple for quick demo, they sound very good, I wish I could afford to buy one and try a high end alnico 12 in it instead of the ceramic celestion. But using more of a modern rock speaker like the g12-65 may give it more appealing lead guitar voice for those likely to invest in it?
    Fender says:
    "A 12-watt must-have for guitarists who want the ultimate in Clapton amp style and performance, the EC Tremolux is a fascinating variation on the ’57 Deluxe and our answer to Clapton’s call for a special model with several distinctive features. Built to his specifications and handmade in the United States with ’50s-era output tube bias tremolo (which produced a more throbbing pulse than later Fender tremolo circuits) and a switchable power attenuator (reduces speaker output), it presents the pinnacle of Clapton-inspired amp tone for stage and studio alike."
    FEATURES

12 watts
    Hand-wired all-tube circuitry on eyelet board with premium components
    12” Celestion® Heritage G12-65 speaker
    Circuit based on late-’50s Fender Deluxe amp model 5E3
    Mercury Magnetics custom transformers
    Finger-joined solid pine enclosure

PREAMP TUBES: 3 x 12AX7
    POWER TUBES: 2 x 6V6
    RECTIFIER: Tube (1 x 5Y3GT)

19. Wally

KC, Kelsey says that the amp is fixed bias...which is a big differentiation from a 5E3 in my world.....adn pust it in the camp withthe amps I mentioned above. Without schematics or proabaly an in hand analysis by a tech, it will be hard to know for sure how they bias and how/where the tremolo is situated.

Fender is good at linking to amps that have market appeal. Ex: Rivera Super Champs adn the digital POS Super Champ XD...markey appeal for the Riverea SC sells a lot of the XD's. Many folks know the 5E3....they don't know the fixed-baised Tremolux 5G9 or the fixed biased 5F11 Vibrolux. Some people know the 6G2 adn 6G3 amps...but dont' know the particualrs. So, Fender sells more amps if they reference the 5E3 in the literature.
    Now, if the amp is a cathode-baised 'modified' 5E3,, that is another scneario.

20. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Since they say it is based on a 5E3 - and at a distant glance the circuitry looks pretty similar, I'm guessing its similar to a "proluxe" kit with upgraded PT made to provide fixed bias and additional 12A*7 tube for tremolo. They also say it is 50's style power tube bias trem so its probably straight from that. They have also added a half-power feature I'm cutious how F implemented that. I'm posting this in the builder's section to see what comes up. This thread was similar http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-tech-center/395644-5g9-tremolux-build.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.