1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender EC Amp Owners Club, Twinolux, Tremolux, Vibro-Champ Claptons

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bickert Fan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

New EC Tremolux owner....
    Medium -i.e not super awesome deal.
    Sound is *@*&ing fantastic with tremelo off but weird tremelo pot behavior. More later.

2. jrwblw375

jrwblw375 TDPRI Member

I just purchased a used one from GC. I am not sure if there is a problem with the amp or not. It hums as much or more than the vibrio champ. It is dead quiet with the stand by switch on, but when it is switched to play it hums from the speaker. The hum is definitely quieter in half power mode. The hum does not get louder with more volume. I am not sure if it's just how it is with this amp or if there is a problem. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks

3. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Something not right with that, mine is just about silent except a bit of hum from a drive pedal when it's switched on. Only time it's had a constant hum was in an old bar with a poor earth and electric supply..

4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

just finished putting a celestion greenback in a ec vibro champ a big improvement over the cheep celestion 70 in there. must say the build quality on these is very good also no hum I love the amp but you can buy vintage for much less

5. jrwblw375

jrwblw375 TDPRI Member

Thank you for answering my post. I m not home now, but will check my power and ground at the outlet. I am not a technician but can follow directions. I had a blues junior and performed all billm mods. Would you retube and check bias?

6. Mekhem

I now have the champ and the tremolux and both are extremely quiet, which i like. So some issue is there somewhere.

I would have a tech look for a bad capacitor. I had a different amp with similar issues and the issue was one of the caps. If its checked ar a fender warranty location it should be at least partially covered under the 5 year warranty.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Mekhem

I just realized that I never landed the plane on this one. The Tremelo switch/pot issue - if the trem was clicked on there was a lot of hiss and wierd volume problems. The pot was replaced with an OEM part and all was good. The only issue was that Fender was out of the pot in question and it was a 6 week delay to get it actually fixed. Since then though - no issues and it solves all of my 5e3 needs.

8. jrwblw375

jrwblw375 TDPRI Member

Thanks again for responding. I purchased it used sight unseen and still have about two weeks to return it. The price was fair but not great. You have answered the question of it being not normal. If I mess with it too much I'll lose my right to return it. I'll let the forum know how it goes. Thanks for your time and assistance.

9. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Fender messed up with the EC Tremolux. They already had an EXISTING, proven and good performing circuit in the 5G9 Tremolux. They should have just reissued that with an EC badge. But Nooooooooo. They had to redesign it.

10. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

As in Ed?

11. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

Oops

12. Bluesfuze

Bluesfuze TDPRI Member

I have a few questions about EC tremolux...I understand there is a resistor something that is cutting gain I dont understand why they would do that as there is a low power switch. my question is can I just remove this component? other question is any tube mods 12at7 12au7 etc tried and recommended?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

I bought it from someone who had loaded it with three 5751 (they read Genral Electric JAN 5751) in the preamp.
    It sounded fantastic (at least with Strats) and when I rolled some decent 12AX7 for comparison I thought the 5751 were much silkier a beautiful sounding.
    I sold my Ec Tremolux and I regret it, thought it was about time since I wouldn’t play outside home anymore and I was obsessed with the blackface sound. Also I thought that tube amps were going to get obsolete fast in most applications.
    Well, digital amps indeed revealing much more practical for home use but I do absolutely miss the E.C. Tremolux.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.