Fender DuoSonic

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PlainAllman, Mar 10, 2019.

1. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I know they were originally made as a student model or something like that and have a shorter than average scale but I really dig the look of them. I haven’t had a chance to play one yet. Just wondering if anybody has one or any experience with them. What do you think about it?

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have long admired them, but never managed to pull the trigger on one.

I actually fancy a similar model nowadays, the Fender Mustang.

:oops:

Mustang.PNG

3. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I have one. Got a great deal on it at GC. It's fun as anything to play.

I walked into the store, and they had it on sale. It took me about 2 minutes to say "wrap it up.

I ended up with a Surf Pearl HS model. It looks a lot nicer in person, btw, than online. I would look athe ones on Reverb B-Stock, and make an offer of around $350, with free shipping. Someone might bite.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I had an old 60s one that I modified quite a bit...

photo 3.JPG

5. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

A neighbor has one. I saw a Fender box go to their door a couple months ago (we live in condo/lofts and this out doors are fairly close). Finally saw the mom out front a couple weeks and asked about it. It was for her. A new electric guitar. I asked what kind and she wasn’t sure. Turns out she’s a classical player from childhood and decided to play a some electric now but knows little. I asked how it was and she said she hadn’t played it much yet as she still hadn’t brought it to her teacher to set it up and change the strings. I invited her over and did it all for her. Turns out it’s a Duosonic. I’d never seen or played one. Very different feel to my teles and strats. Nice guitars.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Saw johnny winter play one in 1969. Absolutely blew the place apart. Great sound for flat out slide blues that night.

Saw Zep on the same bill. Nobody was talking about Page.

DougM and smartsoul72 like this.
  8. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Watched a few vids about it and it seems really versatile in the HS version with coil tap setup. Thanks for all the input. I’ll update if I end up with one.

9. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I love these little guitars - strange as it might sound they're my favourite Fender design.

There are quite a few iterations of the Duo Sonic. The original was intended as a 3/4 companion to the Strat. It had a small, non contoured body, a 22.5" scale and two pickups borrowed from Fender's lap steel if the day. There was a single pickup model called the Musicmaster, although all were routed for two pickups. The first ones were maple board with a Desert Sand finish, switching to rosewood in '59. Between '59-'64 the model stayed pretty much the same except for some changes in colour options.

In '64 the Duo Sonic was overhauled to a larger, more noticeably offset body and was offered in both 22.5" and 24" versions. The Mustang joined the series as a third model (a Duo Sonic Mk II is just a Mustang with a hard tail). The Mustang proved a much better seller and Duo was quietly retired at the end of the 60s.

In the mid 90s a Mexican Duo with the original body style was briefly offered. It had a slightly longer scale although still pretty close to 22.5". It didn't sell well or last very long, and after it was dropped the parts inventory was flushed through with an equally short lived Squier version. A second Squier version in the CV range appeared 7 or 8 years ago and was fairly successful - it had a 24" scale on a 50s style body that body some similarity to the Mexican version. The current Fender series is similar with a few tweaks.

Here are my two. They're both mutts, really - I wasn't up for paying thousands of dollars for one, however cute they are. The Duo Sonic is a '58 with modern electronics and the Musicmaster is a '63 that had a horrible refin so I redid it in Forest Green.

[​IMG]

10. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

I got one of the new Capri Orange ones in 2017, and I will never part with it. Big neck, and absolutely flawless construction.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's my '93 MIM Duosonic. I traded a DOD Mystic Blues pedal for it around 2000 or so. The original owner ruined the original electronics and pickguard so I had to replace them (as pictured below). I recently was able to obtain some original pickups and installed them. I also added a second string tree to prevent some sitar-ish buzzing that would happen on the G string sometimes.

[​IMG]

12. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Very nice guys. There is just something about the shape I really like. Haven’t seen one in the color I’m wanting yet though. A lake placid blue would be just right.

13. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

14. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

768DA4BC-835F-4871-89F6-3FD5C4A18D6E.jpeg 6AA3F94C-39AE-4AF8-8FBB-850D75832D99.jpeg Mine was a $75 pawn shop find. Replaced the pick guard and tone pot. Lots of fun to play. Also replaced the tuners. The old ones were junk.

15. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

I've only played one, but I thought it was a nice guitar to play. I can't help but think if Fender released a Squier version that it would be a popular option for new players. It seems that younger people have to go with a kid-sized 3/4 or jump up to a full size offering. The duosonic seems like a nice intermediate.

16. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I bought one for my some years ago, it was a MIM from 1998, it was cool, short scale, but the pickups were sorta weak. he might still have it

17. sgtrecon212

sgtrecon212 TDPRI Member

I bought a surf green HS and it’s wonderful to play.

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorites hanging out on the couch, Squier Classic Vibe Duosonic:
    squierduo.jpg
    Duncan Antiquities, Glendale "Groovy 60's" saddles and bone nut. Plays great!

hellopike likes this.
  19. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Watch out - I bought one of those from Adorama a year or two ago, and it ended up being an FSR LPB Duo Sonic, all right, but it was the S-S model rather than the S-H model. In the event, I kept it, because it actually played and sounded so nice. I had bought it as a playable version of the 1960 musicmaster I have, but with an extra pickup and a more manageable 24" scale (as opposed to the rather cramped 22.5" scale on the original. In the event, I ended up sending this one to my brother-in-law in Wisconsin, so I have access to an electric when I go back there (I travel with a Journey overhead acoustic). It is a nice, little guitar with an interesting tone that to me is sort of a blend between strat and tele. Also, it's dead quiet in the middle position.

[​IMG]

upload_2019-5-31_9-31-32.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.