Fender Duo Sonic pre 1959 .. Price?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lobomov, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I just listened to Jim Campilongo's glowing review of old pre 1959 duo sonics (Fretboard Journal Podcast), where he threw out a price of 2k?

Google isn't to kinds to me, but I can't really recreate his 2k .. Actually I can't find a lot of examples of old Duo Sonics tbh.

Do you guys have an idea what selling price is for those guitars?

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve been out of the vintage guitar scene for quite a while now, but $2K seems reasonable to me.

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Usual vintage dealer price for a good condition anodised guard DS is $2200-3000, with a few silly billies trying to get more for them. From private sellers finding one for $1500 isn't impossible.

There are loads of player grade Duos or there if you're on a budget. You should be able to find a body only refin for $1200-1800, and they can go below $1000 with enough changes. Don't rule out Musicmasters either: they're two thirds the price of a DS and the bridge pickup on a vintage DS is really shrill sounding - the neck pickup is plenty bright enough to survive on just the one pickup.

My DS journey was a funny one, I bought a wreck of a guitar on a bit of a whim - no electronics and a refinned body that thought it was a '58 for about £400 - about ten years ago, realised the body was off a later guitar, bought a earlier (original finish) body for the '58 neck and a later neck and pickguard for the first body and ended up with two guitars for a total spend of about £1000. They're a lot of fun - I keep them in weird tunings and they come in handy for recording quite a bit.

[​IMG]

Jakedog and LowCaster like this.
  4. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

2020 Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide:

1956-1960 Desert Sand $2200 - $2800
    1959 Maple Neck $2200 - $2800

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow, that's more than I'd ever pay for one of those, short scale and they were the Fender entry level guitars. They are cool but not $2K cool.
    I got one at a pawn shop years ago for $80, parted it out and made around $1K and I though that was crazy $.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.