Fender Dual Mag ii Stratocaster

Joeyb817

TDPRI Member
I own a Dual Mag ii Stratocaster for about 6 months now. I haven’t seen a review of this guitar, I’ll do my best.
I have the black over burst version. The guitar came with very low action, it came set up from the CS like this. Could have been acclimating to climate changes during shipping. Not sure. Anyway, buzzed and zinged all over. I decked the bridge, lowered the string tree, raised the action. Still buzzing. I could hear buzz coming from the bridge so I swapped it out for a Callaham bridge I had. I used the same bridge screws that came with the guitar as to not bore out the holes with the bigger screws Callaham provides. No more zing but still the low E buzzes when I play the string too hard.
4 64ths across the 12th fret a little lower towards the GBE. .10” relief.
I kinda think it may be the rigidness of the roasted neck. I was thinking of having the frets lowered on the bass side, see what happens.The guitar is good enough to justify this. It’s the best playing Stratocaster I’ve ever had. The neck profile, radius and fret wire combination are superb. I love playing this guitar and it’s really cool looking.
The pickups are quite good, they’re balanced so you gotta remember this when adjusting pickup heights. I keep the bass side of the neck pickup a little higher then usual. I play mostly in the neck and 4th switch position. Sounds coming out of my Deluxe are ridiculous. I keep the treble and blender controls on 7, lower the volume knob to the edge of 9 turn it up for soloing. Works pretty well. Middle and Bridge smooth.
They’re not hot or hotter then normal pickups, the cleans coming out of it are like I said, ridiculous. Very balanced. Guitar sounds like a vintage instrument. It definitely has its own sound, very Strat.
Its a tool that needs to be worked, it does what it’s supposed to do. It’s really well thought out, solid. Vintage feel. Professional. I can deal with the buzzing issue, just a little finesse picking, strumming. Still working on fixing it. It’s a great guitar and it’ll be the last Strat I ever buy. I wish I could get my hands on another one just to see if it has the same issues with buzz.
Best Stratocaster I ever played, no doubt.

Attachments

• 5EF83700-965D-4AE2-90E3-C4A2B2702878.jpeg
    5EF83700-965D-4AE2-90E3-C4A2B2702878.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Joeyb817

TDPRI Member
Just to update. I play the guitar tuned down a half step, to me a Stratocaster sounds best that way. Anyway, I put 11s on it, raised the action across the board a hair. 4 64ths to 3 64ths. Buzzing E is almost gone, acceptable. Maybe the neck bowed just a hair, it’s still .10 at the 8th fret.
I really think this is the best Stratocaster I’ve ever played.