Fender Double Tap humbucker-- how does it work?

BluesRockDude

Tele-Meister
As I understand, one coil is wound to full single coil spec, and it is tapped when the pickup is in humbucking mode. Then when it's split, that coil is un-tapped, so that there is no compromise with either the humbucking or split sound.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Aha, that makes sense. Not a bad idea, actually. One interesting aspect also is that in the HSS Stratocaster, the humbucker at the bridge is oriented 90 degrees to the strings instead of at an angle. There are two problems with the typical single coil Strat pickup at the bridge pickup IMO that make it an uphill battle to sound good: a) no tone control in stock wiring; b) angled so the pickup is closer to the bridge for the high strings, making them even more ice-picky. So having the humbucker at 90 degrees gives you the added benefit of not having this unhelpful pickup angle. Some guys even like the reverse angle you get by playing a Hendrix model for that very reason....

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I know this is an old thread...but

A pal of mine brought over a Pro II Tele Deluxe and asked me to turn it into a straight-up humbucking circuit (no split) with a single volume and tone control and 3-way selector switch.

I'd never worked on a guitar with the Shaw-designed Double Tap humbuckers, so needless to say, it was a bit of a puzzle. With the pickup out of the circuit, measuring across the five solder terminals on the back of the pickup offered little help in determining the starts and finishes of both coils. Call me con-fuze-ded!

But this is not rocket surgery.

After several mock-ups of the wiring, I discovered the white wire is a tap from one of the coils, and it stays out of the picture in standard humbucking operation.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
Something like this

Fender_Double_Tap_Push_Pull.jpg

Fender_Double_Tap_Operation.jpg

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Seems simpler to wind one coil to 6k and one to 2 - 3k for your hb with coil split to the 6k coil.