1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender discontinuing the Champion 20?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ataylor, Apr 15, 2021.

1. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I went looking for it to compare the physical dimensions with the new 68 Custom Vibro Champ but couldn’t find the Champion 20. I was recommending it to a friend fairly recently and thought I remembered linking him to the product on Fender’s site, so this seems to be a very recent turn of events.

I’ve got one around I bought for my daughter a couple years ago and I find myself borrowing it to play sometimes — it sounds a lot better than I expected it to!

Bummer if this is out — it’s a nice little bang for buck amp with a more traditional look and feel than some of the more modeling-heavy combos.

If anyone has been on the fence about one of these, here’s an excuse to snag one while they’re still at retailers.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Got mine with a 3-pay deal from American Musical Supply. Great for picking around the house, don’t miss my pedals!

ataylor likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Got this for $50 last year ( used on CL)
    Stuck in an Emi Legend ( $60), and this amp is just great, and uncomplicated. Clean+ Spring Reverb
    20201010_200155.jpg

Nice big clean sound! Using it on gigs now- hoping for reliability!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    John_B and Treynor like this.
  4. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

Looks like they still make the 40 from their web site. Too bad, I have a 20 and it's a great amp. I snagged it in 2018 when they were still $99 new.
    Thanks for the heads up.

ataylor likes this.
  5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

That is surprising. Maybe they're hoping to steer buyers toward the Mustang LT25, but that's a completely different sort of amp. Or maybe they just can't get them now at a decent price because of the computer chip shortage. My guess is that the Champion 40, 50, and 100s don't sell in nearly the quantity the 20 does, so Fender may just have enough stock on hand to keep the bigger Champions listed. That's all conjecture, obviously.

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've had both, and I still have the LT25, and I see no reason why anyone would buy the 20, when it's only $20 less than the far superior LT25. Maybe the sales numbers show the same.
    If they're selling boatloads of the LT25 and no one is buying the 20, then why would they continue to make it? That wouldn't make any sense at all.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Tele-friend likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Gone from fender.com. My way out in left field guess? Their SS amps like the Champion 40 and 50XL, plus the curent generation Mustangs, have the same tone at lower volume as higher volume. Push buyers from a $150 amp up to a $220 amp and sell it on having more versatility.

Champion 20s aren't an endangered species They'll be in the used channel for the next decade.

ataylor likes this.
  8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

It seems that there aren't many pure analog solid state guitar amps in production anymore. And those that are still around around much to talk about (low power, tiny speakers).

Fender seemed to be about the only hold-out on analog solid state amps.

9. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I have had mine about 1.5 years and still love it. Had an Eminence mid range speaker in it and it was larger than life. Now have a Weber 8" JBL type speaker and again it is larger than life. One heck of a $99 amp! 100_1248.JPG 100_1247.JPG

ataylor and Chiogtr4x like this.
  10. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I REALLY like my Champion 20. Compared to the LT25, I like the Champ 20’s more traditional styling, front-facing controls, and lack of a digital display. Since it’s my bedside amp, it’s the one I play the most.

I may check the used market in a while and see if I can snag another one for cheap.

ataylor likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What analog SS amps is Fender making?

Analog:
    - Quilter
    - ZT Amps
    - Jazz Chorus (digital reverb)

I’m sure there are others.

Drew617 likes this.
  12. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Maybe they’ll come out with a Tone Master Frontman?

richey88 likes this.
  13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

May have to try that, mine sounds pretty good as is, playing it now!

14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Saw one on eBay just today. Are they any good? I have never tried one.

15. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Music & Arts has the Champion 20 in stock for $129.99.

Coffeemutt likes this.
  16. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

foundjoe likes this.
  17. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Love my C20, curious to hear more about why you prefer the LT25.

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It's a LOT more versatile for one. The C20 can't even save the delay time on its delay effect, and the only way to set the delay time is with the tap tempo button, which is hit and miss at best. The LT25 also has a lot more good sounding amp models and effects, including onboard overdrive and distortion boxes, which the C20 doesn't have, and it can record with stellar sound quality directly through its USB out, and sounds way better overall IMO, especially at the low volume levels that my tired, damaged, old ears can tolerate. The C20 sounds thin and boxy at low levels, like the Katana 50, and many other amps I've tried, and their speakers need to move more air to sound good than my ears can handle in my small room. The LT25, Katana Mini, and the THR10C are the three that sound the richest and fullest to me at the low levels that I play at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.