1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender discontinued Ash as a body choice

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wound_Up, Apr 13, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Excuse my ignorance, are Fender Mexico ash models similarly discontinued? I’m assuming the Ash sources are essentially the same.

savofenno likes this.
  2. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Good thing there's Southern Yellow Pine!!

If an ash tree dies from the disease, isn't it still able to be harvested? Why let it go to waste if the tree has completely died and hasn't rotted.

3. Centuryhouse

Centuryhouse TDPRI Member

4DAD7F14-4603-4EDF-9121-A145B2F14EAA.jpeg D52C5E9E-1896-4BD6-8F53-6CA9B0475FCB.jpeg

B0A911CB-E9BF-471E-BE27-2B2DBD96878F.jpeg

Glad I bought this Ash FSR tele when I did! I got it for $200 because it had been left in a trunk and got hot/wet - the pick-guard was warped and clear coat was all broken up and peeling from the body in chunks.

I refinished it with amber shellac and a new black pick-guard.

pedalcr8z, Bill G77, DHart and 5 others like this.
  4. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

The reason why it generally isn't harvested is actually to stop, or at least slow, the spread of Emerald Ash Borer. Firewood and lumber is one of it's biggest methods of spreading. Many states, particularly the ones hardest hit or those that still have areas with healthy ash groves, have either a statewide quarantine or restrictions on transporting ash wood. The Emerald Ash Borer's larvae can survive at temps up to 129 F, drying kilns don't always kill them.

TelenTubes and Centuryhouse like this.
  5. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

A wood called hackberry would be totally appropriate for my skill level.

6. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I did not know that! Interesting!

7. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Now that’s funny right there!

pedalcr8z likes this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You , me and ALL guitarists in the world BEFORE the "internets".

BEFORE the online madness nobody gave a rat's behind about electric guitar "tonewoods" and guess what...they were right.

There's not a SINGLE guitar catalog from ANY brand that even MENTIONS the type of body "tonewood" before the internets.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

The above post isn't true. The word "tonewood" hadn't been coined yet, that's all.

For example, the type and the amount of wood in the Les Paul, and it's weight, was justified (in the minds of many) by it's perfomance. Some players might have preferred a basswood guitar for weight reasons, but a Les Paul shaped piece of basswood would have been universally understood to not be a real Les Paul.

The difference between an SG and a Les Paul was understood to be a slab of maple.

My local luthier (prominent guy in that region), when I mentioned ash for a guitar body (versus alder) said: "it'll be pingy-er".

The examples are from decades before the internet.

Edit: To the people who think an SG and a Les Paul sound exactly the same, sorry I can't help you. End.

Gevalt, wblynch and SheldonP like this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have all the swamp ash guitars I will ever need. There are plenty of alternatives out there. I also have a pinecaster that sounds every bit as good as any of my alder or swamp ash builds. There is a lot of that around.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well show me ONE Fender catalog before the internet that even MENTIONS the type of wood than.

I can show you a BAZILLION that do NOT.

:)

12. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

I found this interview from guitar world from a few weeks ago. they are interviewing the vice president of Fender guitar, asking him what specific plans he has.
    He explains what woods they're going to do to replace it. The custom shop should have an adequate supply for several years. Good read. it's simply a matter of paying a little more money for ash for the current people that are alive right now.
    https://www.guitarworld.com/feature...d-out-why-and-what-woods-will-be-used-instead

Also I found this to be one of the best audio captures of the snappiness of an ash telecaster versus an alder telecaster which seems to have a beautiful mid EQ Drive/sustain. I like them both you can see how one might work in one situation slightly better.

Brett Valentine, Mike M and nicknklv like this.
  13. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

So is the Am Original still going to be made?

On a separate note, guitar manufacturers should try beech, birch and holly.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Are you thinking that they haven't tried those woods already?

15. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

Maybe Fender or other major companies have tried them or maybe they haven't but they haven't been released as standard runs. I have heard those woods on independent/boutique guitars and they sound amazing. I think a lot has to do with price and availability.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

True!

17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Interesting - Fender characterizes Alder as having a boosted midrange - “better for cutting through in a band situation”. And Ash as having a scooped midrange - nice tone quality “for playing at home alone”.

And, they acknowledge that each and every guitar that comes off the same line, with the same exact components and wood type, sounds unique.

I’m among those who do believe that the individual wood used in each guitar does impart a particular tonal quality to an electric guitar. I have two Ash Teles (one solid and one Thinline) among many Alder Teles and one Ash Strat among several Alder Strats and it does sound to me as though the Ash Teles sound like they have a little more high end response than the Alders do - which is in keeping with Fender’s statement. The difference is subtle, though, and easily masked if a player adds distortion/overdrive/tone modifiers.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  18. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Even though it is neat to have a guitar identical to guitars made in the era of Buddy Holly, BUck Owens, or whoever, you have to ask yourself when the last time you went to a concert with a great guitarist and came away feeling like they sucked because their guitar was alder, or pine, or whatever.

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

yep .. fact is, it doesn't matter what he's playing, if he's rocking the house, whatever he's using to rock it with, a lotta guys will be wanting one just like it...

r

Kloun and Alex W like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got some Ash seedlings I had been thinking, of transplanting into nicer spots around The Cabin. I'm not going to bother. I'm thinking of how there's still Chestnut trees (small ones) here and there, where we hike, and how we placed easy world trade, as a value, ahead of these trees. We had some tough choices to make - I'm thinking we may have made the wrong ones.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.