Fender Deluxe vs. 68 Custom Vibrolux: Bedroom Volume

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NateD81, Jul 10, 2019.

1. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Hi guys,I have a DRRI that I play at home in my garage with no problem. I only get to about 3 when the fam is home and can push it from there if it’s just me which is totally fine. I play clean almost exclusively so I’m happy with those volume levels.

I’m interested in a Vibrolux Reissue (Custom 35w) — would I be happy with the volume level or is it going to be too loud? There’s no where local I can try.

Any other suggestions amp a wise? I’m interested in exploring my options! Need to be 1k- ish and prefer used to save $$

Thanks all!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Technically a 35w amp is not significantly louder than a 22w amp. Perhaps you will get more clean headroom with the Vibrolux but the DRRI has plenty of this.

Not sure what your goal is? are you looking for something louder than a DRRI?

Cheers

3. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Just a different sound - do they sound pretty similar?

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I own a vintage BF Deluxe Reverb and a BF Vibrolux Reverb. Both volumes are similar, in fact my Deluxe Reverb maybe louder with the volume set to 3 than the Vibrolux Reverb set to 3.

Probably the new and more efficient Alessandro speaker in the DR VS the two original Jensen’s in my VR.

06625515-2A37-464B-8124-C489A2CB072E.jpeg

Sean Mac, NewKid and NateD81 like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I have both. The main difference is you can hear the two speakers in the Vibrolux. Enjoy. I like them both.

NateD81 likes this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I think a Vibrolux sounds great at lower volumes. Those would be a nice pair to choose from.

red57strat likes this.
  7. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

why would you torture such a good amp by only playing it at bedroom levels?...it's never going to sound it's best at low levels - and while people are right in saying 35w isn't much louder than 22w, it's not about "how loud" it will get as much as it is "at what volume will it sound best" - and a 40w amp sounds best at gigging volume.

So it's a waste of a good amp if it's never going to be pushed - and you'd probably get a bigger smile on your face from a Princeton reverb, a vox AC10 or even something smaller.

hotrodkid and Festus_Hagen like this.
  8. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I had both and sold the Vibrolux. I only play in one room, and it was just too much. I also agree the DR is about the same power to my ears, but the DR pushes more air and just sounds louder. I could really push the VL and get a good breakup ~7-8, but I prefer my Princeton reverb because it's a Princeton Reverb. :)

9. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

You're making way too much sense here ;)

But seriously OP, a deluxe reverb is a loud amp that sounds vanilla until you get the volume knob North of 3. There's a mint used RI that's been sitting at my LMS for $900. Today in my area (South Florida) they're considered overkill for most gigs, so she sits. Best home solution amp I found that still sounds like a tube amp at low volume is my Blackstar HT-1R combo.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

DR too loud, VR too loud. PR=rightsize.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Princeton Reverb. Will sound more different from the DR than will the VR...and give you a little less volume at similar levels of distortion. That's better for your situation than a little bit more volume at similar distortion.

That said, none of these amps are bedroom amps IMO. I would think about a Vibro-Champ. They're great clean bedroom amps.

12. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I guess I should clarify - I don’t actually use the amp in a bedroom, probably wrong verbiage. Right now my wife and I own a condo so I play in our garage, I just try to to get to levels that will annoy people. In the next year we’ll be buying a house where I can play much louder in a regular sized garage, so part of me looking at a Vibrolux is due to the knowledge I’ll be able to get the volume up a bit. Not really worried about pushing it to breakup because that’s not really the style I play - just want beautiful cleans. Not sure if that makes sense?

13. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Dang guys - you made me second guess my purchase! :lol: I ended up cancelling my order on the Vibrolux and ordering a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. I know I’ll be happy with that amp I guess if I need something bigger, I can always go that direction.

GuitLoop and Fretting out like this.
  14. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

huge Ws for a bedroom... forget it.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I think you made a good choice I have a 68 custom Princeton and they are just fine for med-low volume, and they work great with pedals if that’s your thing.

Just don’t let any internet hype tell you that you have to replace the tubes or speaker they sound pretty decent as-is
    And aren’t worth replacing unless they stop working. Unless you hate the way it sounds which I think you won’t

NateD81 and GuitLoop like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.