Fender Deluxe VM speaker replacement

Plocky

TDPRI Member
My Fender Deluxe VM (not Deluxe Reverb) needs a speaker replacement. The speaker that came with the amp is a Celestion G12P-80. I read that this speaker is smaller than other speakers. Also other speaker won't fit in this amp cause the space is smaller. Anybody knows for sure? What speaker can be recommended? Thanks in advance!

vanr

Tele-Afflicted
Seventy/80's are not smaller than other 12" speakers to my knowledge. I did own a couple of them and changed them around with other speakers all the time.

BTW I don't think the Seventy/80 (G12P-80) is so bad a speaker once they get broken in. And they sound better to me in a closed-back cabinet.

Plocky

TDPRI Member
Thanks so far. What I've read so far is that some 12" speakers are a little bit bigger than others and it will not fit on the amp because it touches the tubes or it gets very close to them.

DGTJunior

TDPRI Member
Hi did you find out what speaker will fit in the combo? I have one too and tried to put an Eminence Legend in, No dice to deep, then a Fender (Eminence) Special design out of Blues Deluxe again, no dice! I heard the V30 won't go in too. So does anyone know what will fit!!? The stock G12 P80 speaker is OK clean, but harsh and flabby in overdrive mode to my ears.

FMKeller64

TDPRI Member
I know this is an old thread, I have been researching on what to replace the 70/80 with, only thing I found that could fit and be a major improvement would be a celestion neo v type @ $165 bucks, the 70/80 depth is 4.700 with the magnet @ 5.300 diameter / Neo is 4.700 depth with the magnet @ 4.900 diameter / the vintage-30 depth is 5.300 with the magnet @ 6.100 diameter, with nothing on the eminence side of the fence that would fit either .

FMKeller64

TDPRI Member
And i found this on another site
The Fender Deluxe VM is a great amp which needs a better speaker. Unfortunately very few will fit. There is a simple answer though.

I've recently replaced the stock cheap celestion in my VM with an Eminence 1218 legend 121 by simply undoing the six screws holding the baffle in place and moving it forward by 10mm. this gives sufficient clearance for the Eminence and probably quite a few others. The only other mod needed was cosmetic. By moving the baffle forward ,a gap formed between the control panel and the baffle. I simply sprayed a 10mm hardwood quadrant black and glued it to the top of the baffle - no gap and very difficult to tell anything has been done.

The complete mod only took an hour, the amps sound is transformed. Much more bass response and clearer sound. Hope this helps someone

FMKeller64

TDPRI Member
5 min swap with a New Neo V type to replase that 70/80, no muss no fuss - $160 bucks not bad for Neo speaker - but no modifications required!!! see pic for clearence / Infact added a little bit more room around the tubes !!!
308508710_10218471822701806_5414125848708765631_n.jpg

Last edited: