Fender Deluxe Telecaster Opinions?

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently sold my American Professional Telecaster. Loved everything about the guitar except for the tall-narrow frets.

Looking for another Fender American made Telecaster (new or used) with a max budget of $1400.

Looking at mostly used guitars, Fender American Specials, Performers, Standards, and Deluxe’s.

I like the big frets on the Specials and Performers and I always loved Standards.

I would really like to have binding on the body and I’ve found Deluxe’s in my price range. Looking at a used one similar to the photo below only with a Rosewood neck.

Any opinions on these, do they sound like and feel like a more traditional Telecaster. Neck size and frets?

All opinions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Grid

EE09E5AE-36A1-40CE-837A-6F50AEF05BFC.jpeg

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
American Deluxes are very nice guitars; they have different specs depending on the year. They will all have noiseless pickups - each generation has different one - and how close they sound to traditional single coils is really a persona preference. They will all have the typical Modern C neck shape and the medium jumbo frets similar to the American Standards, but all American Deluxes will have rolled fingerboard edges (which didn't come to the American Standard until it became the "American Series" in mid-2000). Here's a quick run-down of the differences:

American Deluxe v1 (1998-2003): Has Vintage Noiseless pickups; the earliest ones made from spring 1998 to early 1999 are Nashville configuration with the Strat pickup in the middle, 5-way switch and a mini-toggle to add the neck and bridge pickups; in early 1999 reverts to traditional 2 pickup configuration and 3-way switch. Modern C neck, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets, 1.6875" nut width, and blue-green abalone dots on both maple and rosewood fingerboards. All have the top binding and back contour; alder or ash body depending on finish - most transparent finishes are ash, but 3-color burst and crimson red are alder. Standard tuners.

American Deluxe v2 (2204-2009): Has SCN noiseless pickups, adds the S-1 switch (gives you both pickups in Series when switched on; when switched off it's both pickups in parallel like a standard Tele modern wiring). Only alder body versions have binding, the back contour, and they add a contoured neck heel; ash body versions (now a separate model) have the traditional body - no binding or contours. I don't remember if these have locking tuners or standard tuners (or they might have added the locking tuners along the way).

American Deluxe v3 (2010-2015): Has N3 noiseless pickups, retains the S-1 switching. Still separate alder and ash models (but the ash model will get the back contour in 2012). Big change is to a compound radius fingerboard - 9.5" to 14" and the dot inlays change to pearl on rosewood fingerboards and black pearl on maple fingerboards.

They move to the American Elite models in 2016.

Hope this helps.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
American Deluxes are very nice guitars; they have different specs depending on the year. They will all have noiseless pickups - each generation has different one - and how close they sound to traditional single coils is really a persona preference. They will all have the typical Modern C neck shape and the medium jumbo frets similar to the American Standards, but all American Deluxes will have rolled fingerboard edges (which didn't come to the American Standard until it became the "American Series" in mid-2000). Here's a quick run-down of the differences:

American Deluxe v1 (1998-2003): Has Vintage Noiseless pickups; the earliest ones made from spring 1998 to early 1999 are Nashville configuration with the Strat pickup in the middle, 5-way switch and a mini-toggle to add the neck and bridge pickups; in early 1999 reverts to traditional 2 pickup configuration and 3-way switch. Modern C neck, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets, 1.6875" nut width, and blue-green abalone dots on both maple and rosewood fingerboards. All have the top binding and back contour; alder or ash body depending on finish - most transparent finishes are ash, but 3-color burst and crimson red are alder. Standard tuners.

American Deluxe v2 (2204-2009): Has SCN noiseless pickups, adds the S-1 switch (gives you both pickups in Series when switched on; when switched off it's both pickups in parallel like a standard Tele modern wiring). Only alder body versions have binding, the back contour, and they add a contoured neck heel; ash body versions (now a separate model) have the traditional body - no binding or contours. I don't remember if these have locking tuners or standard tuners (or they might have added the locking tuners along the way).

American Deluxe v3 (2010-2015): Has N3 noiseless pickups, retains the S-1 switching. Still separate alder and ash models (but the ash model will get the back contour in 2012). Big change is to a compound radius fingerboard - 9.5" to 14" and the dot inlays change to pearl on rosewood fingerboards and black pearl on maple fingerboards.

They move to the American Elite models in 2016.

Hope this helps.
Just what I needed, I believe that the one that I’m looking at is V3.

Thank you very much.

SomeAverageGuy

TDPRI Member
I have an AmPro II Strat and I didn’t love the tall-narrow frets but didn’t hate them either. I had the guitar Plek’d and what a world of difference. It’s subtle but it plays so much better now. The frets aren’t quite as tall past the 12th fret. That said, I love the jumbo frets on my Am Performer Tele.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an AmPro II Strat and I didn’t love the tall-narrow frets but didn’t hate them either. I had the guitar Plek’d and what a world of difference. It’s subtle but it plays so much better now. The frets aren’t quite as tall past the 12th fret. That said, I love the jumbo frets on my Am Performer Tele.
Jumbo frets are the best.