Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by artdecade, May 3, 2021.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

To be fair, the names should match (on some level) what you are trying to market. Swamp Thing makes no sense for a big, clean speaker. I must have skipped over that speaker for years whenever I saw it mentioned because I just assumed it did something that I didn't want to hear!

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Funny, I had the Emi R,W,& B in my '68 Deluxe Reverb ( when I owned it, needed to sell),

But at the same time, I had (have) an old Blonde Blues Jr. that has a Neo Lil' Texas in it.

And I know this is heresy, but the DR stayed at home while the BJ got the gigs!
    Why?
    Because I seemed to get 'my sound' out of either amp:
    -big and clean- no pedals,
    - or good OD with
    ( each amp had its complimentary dirt pedals, and I sort of 'divine' my own sound out of the amps)

But the BJ weighed 9 lbs. less!
    It was that simple to make a decision on gigs ( for a guy with a bad back)
    Will always miss the DR though, such is life.

* both of these speakers were
    fantastic tools to boost the 'gig utility' of these amps, with their big clean power-transformational? But the Neo has an edge with that light weight.

artdecade likes this.
  3. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I love my drri with a lil Texas. Probably my favorite speaker in it. Making it considerably lighter helps too.

artdecade likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I tracked down a cheap, stock Jenson C-12k that I am going to drop into the amp when it comes in. I'll get it back to stock and take it from there.

Axegrinder77, PhredE and 11 Gauge like this.
  5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I put a Beyma 12 into a Super Champ, it sounds great. They're sold as a replacement for the old JBLs, made in Spain. Around the same price and probably more reliable than 40 year old JBLs, but still expensive. Also nobody has mentioned EVM12Ls, my favorite DR speaker.

https://usspeaker.com/beyma liberty-1.htm

Beyma12.jpeg EVM.jpeg

PhredE likes this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

The specs page for reference:
    https://www.jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c12k

Those are 99.0-99.4db FYI. Don't know what Celestion is coming out, but there's a good chance it was not as loud a unit and maybe you'll get a higher power rating too with the C12K. If the C12K doesn't do it for you, then maybe go check out the Swamp Thang (I agree, it's a ridiculous name.. :rolleyes:)

artdecade likes this.
  7. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I had Weber Chicago’s in my first BF Twin Reverb (‘66). That was maybe my best sounding Fender amp ever.
    Worth a look.

artdecade likes this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If the C12K doesn't break up when the amp is cranked, then the ST will probably not be necessary.

Probably the only other thing to contend with is the C12K's freq. response, and whether or not it really works for BF/SF cleans. I'm not talking about a tight low end, which I'm assuming it has, but maybe more what's going on in the mids and lower treble regions.

The ST has no real strong peaks, and has a nice little dip around 1.5KHz, and that seems to go great for getting the BF/SF cleans, along with the whopping 102dB sensitivity.

artdecade and PhredE like this.
  9. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

What Celestion is in it currently? Saw mention of the 70/80 from another poster but nothing in the thread from the OP. Recently pulled a Ragin Cajun from my non-reverb Princeton and installed a Celestion G12H 30 70th Anniversary from Craig's List into it. The fella was a rocker so I'm guessing it is thoroughly broken in. Even behind a 10" cutout it is killer, high efficiency output and really seems to like every pedal I put to it. The Princeton isn't a Deluxe but it is known for being clean to 10 and it really is. I've also got a Celestion G12H Creamback I'll run into the ext output and the pair is really nice. If your not wanting the speaker to distort either the 65 or 75 Creamback is a great choice with the 65 having a little more bite. Both Creambacks are very balanced and can take a beating if required. Lots of other great choices mentioned as well, GOOD LUCK lol!

10. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET65

PhredE likes this.
  11. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Weber makes a couple JBL types to look at. Or, you could just do a Celestion that is higher in wattage than necessary, like a Heritage 65.

artdecade likes this.
  12. oooogie

oooogie TDPRI Member

How about a JBL D(K)120

Arfage and artdecade like this.
  13. oooogie

oooogie TDPRI Member

Scour the Craigslists/reverbs/ebays. They are out there but you gotta hunt them down. You might find a Twin with two of em. Buy it, replace the speakers with some newer Fender model and resell it. And now you can pick the JBL you like best and sell the other one. The speakers go for around $300.00 bucks these days. You may even make money on the deal.

artdecade likes this.
  14. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Cannabis Rex.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  15. hackerguitar

hackerguitar TDPRI Member

I like D120Fs, and currently have them in both my '65 DR and the extension cab I built for it.
    I've still got the original Oxford - it's the narrow-gap version, apparently - and it's good but breaks up early.

Over the years I've tried a lot of speakers in it - I had access to a lot of them for a while through a friend's music shop, so I just tested everything. The conclusion I came to is that almost any speaker can sound good in a DR with a good player and some attention to the tone controls.

ThermionicScott and PhredE like this.
  16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a JBL D120F in my '77 DR, and it's just perfect. I chose it over Celestion V30, Warehouse G12C, Cannabis Rex, Jensen C12N (Italy), and a handful of others.

For a tone reference, the sound in my head is always a clean Twin Reverb.

artdecade and PhredE like this.
  17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

add me to the growing list of 'endorsers' of the Lil Texas in a Deluxe Reverb.
    My ears like the sound (ok not fully in JBL territory) and my back likes the weight!! One caveat -- give it some break-in time to settle down in the top end.

Chiogtr4x, artdecade and budglo like this.
  18. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Always a good choice but most of them need reconing, more time and money. Depending on the individual, definitely something to consider.

artdecade likes this.
  19. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    artdecade likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I can't remember where I read this ( or maybe it's a hallucination) but I think I read that the Lil' Texas ( which I now have in my old BJ) was fabricated/voiced to sound like the classic JBL 120? ( a speaker that I probably have never heard, in person)
    I got mine as it was loud and clean ( 120 watt rating) and light! ( bad back)

artdecade likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.