Fender Deluxe Reverb vs X

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Brucesu, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The DR is a great amp - but did you test it at *gig volume*?

Because a DR has very low headroom compared to other Fender amps and an average Les Paul hits the preamp pretty hard, even with the volume at 3 or 4 - which is generally where they start to break up. Typically, for a clean jazz tone in anything but very , very small clubs a DR is not going to remain clean enough for you.

If you play with a small combo - just bass and drums - in bar-type situations it might work for you, but you'd probably ned to upgrade the speaker to something that would hold up more. Also have the amp - even a new one - tweaked by a good amp tech, with different preamp tubes and fairly cold biased power tubes.

Again, it might work just fine - but unless you tested one at gig volume - preferably in context with band - I kind of doubt it.

AlbertaGriff and Brucesu like this.
  2. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Ya good thing I checked with you guys. I’m gonna hold off on buying any amps for now. I need to actually learn how to play jazz first

I got a good sound today with my cheap Vox and an Echoplex pedal. For some reason, that pedal makes everything sound better. It sounds like I have thicker gauge strings when I use the pedal.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

According to an inflation calculator on the 'net, that $250 in 1970 is $1628.71.
    I stand by my assertion that there has never been a better time to buy a Super Reverb.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't disagree - but there's a caveat:

9 out of 10 vintage Fender tube amps I see either have never ben serviced or are way overdue. Most are running on original electrolytic filter caps, which have a service life of 15-20 years...and are on borrowed time. The amp may sound great but be on the verge of potentially very expensive repair costs.

So unless a buyer can tell absolutely (by inspection or a written description of recent work) that at least basic service has been performed he should add $150-350 to the purchase price budget and take it to a tech immediately - NOT after playing it and having something go wrong! The lower number covers usual costs for filter and bias cap replacements, pot and jack clean/lube and general checkup; the higher amount covers possible tune replacements.

I've seen too many nasty surprises soon after hearing "hey, I just bought a cool vintage amp!" - the kind of work I really hate doing, because the buyer got caught by surprise and didn't plan forit!

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

The Deluxe Reverb reissue is a great amp. I’ve owned one for about 10 years. I’m happy to say that in over 50 years of playing, it’s the only amp I’ve ever owned that’s had zero issues. Oh, and if my 41 years of electrical engineering experience carries any weight, my recommendation would be to ignore the hand-wired vs pc board b.s.

NewKid and Brucesu like this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Jazz is a lifetime pursuit. A Deluxe Reverb would be a great partner on your journey. If you like what you have now, that also works.

Brucesu likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

With his budget this is probably a great choice. Or a good old Deluxe that has been rehabbed.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Give some consideration to the Fralin VVT combo before you commit to an amp. You get the Fender-like cleans in a bright amp which pairs well with jazz or blues. The reverb is very good and they come with a 10 year warranty. I have several blackface era Fenders and love that sound, but end up playing the Fralin VVT more outside the house. It is the perfect size and weight to take to a gig as that is what it was designed to be. They are a bit over your budget new, but used seems to run around a grand or just a little above that.

http://www.vvtamps.com/portfolio/lindyfralin1/

Brucesu likes this.
  9. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

So I wasn’t planning on getting an amp any time soon, a good deal on reverb happened and I snatched up a Quilter Aviator HD 12”.

Hopefully, this thing can do some clean fender deluxe tones! I would have gotten a Fender deluxe, but I got scared away.

Anyone have experience with Quilter Amps?

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/aviator-12-heavy-duty

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.