Fender Deluxe Reverb vs X

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Brucesu, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Hello!

So I want to get a Fender Deluxe Reverb, I like playing clean and I aspire to play jazz. I use Les Paul guitars.

I tried out a blackface 65 reissue at guitar center and it sounded amazing!

But shrug, I’m looking at other comparable amps and the options are insane. I’m looking to spend up to 1.5-2k max.

I’ve taken a look at Quilter Mach 2, Mesa Boogie Fillmore, Dr Z cure, Tone King imperial. I haven’t played any of the above amps, so I’ve only heard them online.

What do you guys think? Is the Fender Deluxe 65 reissue worth it? Is the build quality good?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, but, for jazz you might want a fatter tranny, since
    you want to go tube. To me voicing not best for that.

Billiions of other Jazzers out there from polytones to whatever.

Just clicked on a DV the other day

Wish you luck.

Brucesu and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

If you want a not too big amp for jazz that works well with humbuckers, I say try the '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb.

fendrguitplayr and Brucesu like this.
  4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I have a 65 DRRI and love it, have not had contact with any of the other amps mentioned.The Deluxe can do jazz, that classic muted tone is easily achievable with the guitar's tone knob. The Deluxe can also do pretty much any other genre other than metal as well, and can have a really big bottom end with the right speaker. It can be really loud for gigging and really sweet turned down low. Mine was lugged around twice a week for a year and has held up well. In the price range you're looking at, they all probably will sound good, but with significant tonal differences. Each one is trying to do something different. Finding all of those amps under one roof to try out will require a serious road trip. Ahhh, so many flavors…

Paul in Colorado and Brucesu like this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Jazz is a big realm. What kind of jazz tones are you after? For 60s bop and post-bop (think Wes) blackface yay. For 40s-50s Swing (think Charlie or Barney) blackface nay. And I’m not even mentioning more modern styles… (BTW Julian Lage uses a tele with tweeds).

Don’t get me wrong. I love DRs and sooner or later I’ll get me one, but for earlier styles a tweed (or clone) might be a better pick, not to mention even more “primitive” Gibson circuits.

Of course, if you’re going to play also OTHER genres you may want an amp that’s pretty versatile and I guess a blackface fits the bill much better than, say, an EH-150 from the late 30s ;D

Brucesu and King Fan like this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Maybe I'm the only one with this experience, but I doubt it. Buy an amp that you dig. Regardless of what you buy, your tastes will likely change, or come into focus, over time. Then you will sell it and try something else, and again, then maybe you'll need two amps, that's how this movie usually goes. If you dig the deluxe reverb, which is a great amp, buy a used one in great shape. Take care of it and it will mostly retain it's value down the road.

Brucesu likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

There's a lot of DR fans here, I'm one. I have a '68 Custom and an early '70s silverface. They both have their own personality, but basically sound very similar. I knew a pro jazz player, Kirk Smart, he played through a burgundy Tolex DR, he always sounded great. Good luck shopping!

8barlouie and Brucesu like this.
  8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I think you answered your own question. :)

I'm the owner of a 1973 Silverface Deluxe Reverb. It is an amazing amp for everything. But when I bought my 2019 Fender American Performer Tele from GC, I tested it through a 65 Blackface reissue. The jazz tones through that amp, using the neck humbucker, is what sold me on the guitar. The Fender 65 DRRI amp will be fine.

Brucesu likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If ALL amps but one were wiped off the face of the earth, I would hope the Deluxe Reverb would be the one left. They are the best ALL ROUND amp ever made, IMHO.
    Having said that, the DV Mark, for the price, would probably be my choice for your application. I've never owned one, but I've heard many, some live but mostly in YouTube videos, and they all sound good. Solid state amps have come so far, that for "clean" tones, they are hard to beat.
    Your budget is WAY over what I would want to spend, but for the money you've got, your options are almost unlimited. Personally, I'm pretty frugal, and want to by the BEST I can get for the most REASONABLE price......good luck!

10. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Welp, I think Fender deluxe reverb would be the amp! Only thing now I need to consider is the handwired ones or the circuit board ones. I don’t know what kind I played at guitar center, but probably a circuit board one.

I tried going cheap with a Fender Champion 50xl and that didn’t work out for me. I ended up selling mine for cheap on reverb.

11. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Ahhh,

Too many choices! The Quilter Mach 2 amps sounds promising too!

The thing that shocked me about the Fender Deluxe is it seem to just light up the entire room with sound. I never played an amp like that before.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For your price range, a 70's Deluce Reverb and a good service seems like a no- brainer to me.
    For your sound, a Super Reverb would give you the tone of the gods.
    Used ones are a grand and under and prices have never been lower.
    They are big and heavy, though.
    Some girly- men are daunted by that. :twisted:

nojazzhere and dannyh like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont see any reason to not try the DR. They are plenty loud, but the 6V6 tubes have that less crystalline and smoother tone over the 6L6's at reasonable volumes. I think it would be good for jazzy stuff actually.
    I have the BFDR and the BFD and the normal channel on the BFDR is warmer and really nice. If you want reverb then you need to use the reverb channel though.

You have lots of money to spend and some Z amps would be cool. A Z Carmen Ghia 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 has a huge bottom end and lower mids. "Punchy". If you like El84 tone anyway.

Allesandro (I think) takes NEW Deluxe Reverb RI's and puts in a hand wired board etc. That would get you a new trouble free amp and is in your price range I think. I see them on Ebay or Reverb. Or there are people who will build you a clone for probably the same amount. I know one or two. One is a perfectionist for sure.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=333033951216

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

If $1500-$2000 is genuinely your budget, the world is yours. Vintage DR. 5E3 well-built clone. Lil Dawg custom build. Fender Chris Stapleton Princeton.

I bought a Tungsten Crema Wheat 5E3. It can run 6V6 at around 15 watts but also 6L6 for around 20-ish watts. Tons of clean headroom. Of course, this doesn't have reverb or tremolo. So I just got a genuine spring reverb tank unit and I have an analog tremolo. It probably cost my about $2,000 but I much prefer this setup to a DRRI. While they are great amps, they are VERY individualistic or tempermental or particular, I'll say. I don't know what the exact word is, but let me say it this way. I've play A LOT of DRRI in stores, a lot of different DRRI. I've played the '65 DRRI and the '68 CDRRI. And one or two sounded good, but it really varied, to my ear. Even when I account for playing conditions, room, store, ambient noise, etc. I was shocked at how inconsistent this line of amps was/were/are. So personally, I would steer clear of them. BUT I do understand the appeal: when you find "the one," great tone in a very portable package.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Yeah, I’ll have to take this slow and try out different amps and practice more!

I’m a little worried about mail ordering a Fender amp, but the price is just right.

Right now my favorite sound is through this cheap Vox amp that I got on sale through musicians friend for 60 bucks. It is a good practice amp.

16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Mustang III V2. It has a really nice Deluxe Reverb channel on it, as well as a lot of other amps.

I could probably leave mine on the DR channel, add a pedal, and be happy. And I save $720 in the process!

The hand wired DR is listed as a 64 Deluxe Reverb - the circuit board units are the 65 RI and the 68 custom.

Blue Bill and Brucesu like this.
  17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

If you can a decent Music Man amp go for it. They sound great with humbuckers too.

Brucesu likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with everything, charlie, except the "prices have never been lower"......I bought a Super Reverb in 1969-70, "Fender Electric Instruments"(making it, what? a '64 or so?), totally original, w/ cover, for $250......that's right. (and no, I didn't leave off a zero) I sold it about four or five years later for (you guessed it) $250.....plus took a little Gibson Falcon in trade. (still have the Falcon) That's just what used Fenders went for back then....and yes, I often kick myself for selling.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not convinced an old BF or SF is good for the "non amp fixer", It seems at any given time my old BF/SF amps always have one of the herd with issues, pops, crackles, other things. It's a constant thing. Some of the worst are not an amp that isn't working but has subtle issues like that.

20. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Maybe consider the new '64 blackface Deluxe Reverb. It is all hand wired and has a solid pine cabinet. It sounds very much like the pre CBS models. IMO, this may be the best amp Fender has made since the late 1960's.

Burn Yesterday and Brucesu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.