1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Deluxe Reverb Tilt-Back Legs DIY (placement illustration)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by terzinator, Feb 3, 2018.

1. terzinator

terzinator TDPRI Member

Seemed like this was harder to find a concrete answer for than it should have been, so I compiled the best practices and thought I'd post them here.

Biggest pain was finding definitive instructions for screw placement on a Deluxe Reverb. The legs don't come with instructions, and Fender won't tell you, because the DR didn't come with legs. (I asked.)

Until I got the legs, I temporarily used a length of PVC pipe, with a right-angle cut to fit against the back of the amp. I was happy with the angle (probably 30-35 degrees or so), so I figured I'd just fit the legs for the same angle.

So, anyway, these are my measurements:

FenderDRTiltLeg.png

Tips:

I put painter's tape on the amp when I marked it, so it was easier to see the pen marks.

You'll need to remove the back guard (tolex wrapped piece, attached with four screws) for access to the back, and I removed the wire anchor for the reverb cable and the right-most tube so I wouldn't accidentally drill into them.

I used a 3/16" drill bit for the leg screw, and a 1/8" bit for the stopper screw. (Don't need to go all the way through for the stopper screw.)

The inset illustration above shows the orientation/placement of washers.

Once the legs are attached, do the stoppers. The one thing I did was fit and drill for one stopper first, tilt the amp back, then make sure the other leg was even and at the same angle, before I drilled for the second stopper.

Good luck!

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 2.16.08 PM.png

2. Archtop Eddy

Archtop Eddy TDPRI Member

Thanks terzinator for the thorough instructions. Nice results! One quick question for a sanity check: Did you use the 14" Fender tilt-back legs on the DR?

3. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Interesting post. Just got the 14" legs for a new DR I bought recently. I have a 62 Tremolux piggyback with tilt legs and used it as a reference to my pending installation since the spkr cabinet height of 17" is the same as the DR. With that tilt back angle, its a perfect match for my DR needs. Agree with all the measurements which matches my Tremolux! A worthy reference and confirmation before I drill holes in my new amp!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I kinda abandoned the Fender style legs years ago, unless they come on an amp. I should start using them again. I like to use a firm foam wedge so I have tilt options, and now have a little amp stand. But I agree, it's very difficult to get the Fender legs right, so nice to have those dimensions. Those legs must add 5# to an amp, pretty heavy. I have a new set out here I've never installed. Once I made these out of cocobolo, they really need the buttons though. :
    [​IMG]

5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have the 14" legs on both my Princeton and DRRI and ended up with that same 30-35 degree pitch back. They're a bit pricey but look classy, and most importantly, I don't have to lug another piece of equipment with me in order to hear my amp clearly.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good Job getting those legs installed! What's weird, back in 1965 for my birthday my parents bought me a Deluxe Reverb, and it came with Tilt Legs! My bandmates laughed, thought it was "cute"...being the Lead Guitarist had a Super Reverb, which of course came with Tilt Legs. I have 65 DRRI and I bought the legs, still haven't installed them. Oh....And that Original 65 also had the metal Corner Protectors...

7. Mrbobbo

Mrbobbo NEW MEMBER!

Very helpful!

Would you mind also posting a photo of what the inside of the amp looks like where the screws come in from the outside? I’ve always been concerned about the installation damaging something in there or making it impossible to remove the head for service.
    Thanks

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No worries, It's below the chassis so doesn't interfere. It's just a washer and nylok nut in there IIRC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.