Fender Deluxe Reverb RI vs. Super Sonic 22

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pjmuck, Jan 5, 2011.

1. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm. I thought when fender says an amp is "all tube", there isn't any solid state parts.

2. pjmuck

pjmuck TDPRI Member

Wally may be correct on this:

DR RI tubing:

2 6V6s
    4 12AX7As
    2 12AT7s

Super Sonic tubing:

2 6V6s
    3 12AX7s
    2 12AT7s

The Super Sonic has 1 less 12AX7. I assumed that extra tube on the DR was for the vibrato. But the question is on the Super Sonic is there a tube devoted to the reverb or is it for the second gain stage?

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

slight derail: Vintage Guitar mag reviews can be sketchy: I remember that whoever reviewed the Super Sonic 22 got a few basic items wrong if I rememeber correctly- I think he said the Clean channel has Volume, Gain and Tone controls (it has Volume, Bass and Treble- big difference here!) and also said it was powered by 2 6V6's to give the amp 50 watts!

Read an earlier VG review of the MXR-GT-OD overdrive pedal (which I own, its basically a Tube Screamer type- like it just fine) and the reviewer commented on how "transparent" it is (it is NOT, IMO)
    WTF- do these folks even pay attention to what they are reviewing, or are the just paid ads?

4. pjmuck

pjmuck TDPRI Member

Well I'm back from my first excursion.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to report on, as none of the 3 stores I hit had any Super Sonics in stock. :mad: I did come home with a VSV2RT66 Route 66 Overdrive/Compressor pedal, however. :lol: Sounds greaqt thru my DR. So for now, I'm keeping the DR until I stumble across a Super Sonic to try out somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for your input/advice.

5. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the SS22 has a solid-state recto, as well. FWIW, I think "all-tube" is a marketing term meaning that all of the "tone-generating" amplification stages are tube, while functions that aren't thought to be (such as reverb driver/recovery and rectifiers) can be SS.

- Scott

6. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

I can't speak for the SS22 but as a SS112 owner, I love mine. I had the choice between a DRRI and the SS112. I went with the SS112 based on the Vibrolux voice. Then I chose aesthetically on the blonde/oxblood looks, kick back legs, full tube operation (rectifier is solid state but that's not always a bad thing).

The 112 has 10 tubes total, so reverb is a true tube affair. It has the 3 spring accutronics long spring tank in the bottom of the amp and it, to say the least, LUSH.

As said, the BURN channel is not my favorite but it will get the job done in a pinch. I jammed with friends without my pedalboard and used a texas overdrive setting (SRV/ZZTOP) to great effect. That was before my retube to TungSol and SED power tubes. Everything sounds clearer and better now. Creamy overdrive.

I added a PowerPlug -12db attenuator to mine that allows me to overdrive the amp volume at about 5-7 sounding just fabulous on the Vibrolux setting, kick in the Bassman setting and it fattens up the tone and goes even further into OD.

I will rebias soon with the new tubes and that should find the amp's sweet spot.

I also changed the speaker out to a Jensen Electric Lightning. The Celestion V30 was too thick and muddy sounding for my tastes.

I paid $700 shipped for amp in like new condition, added the $60 speaker (in counter model, but new unused) and my wife got me the $180 Premium tube compliment from TheTubeStore.com.

Best amp I've ever owned and I'll never let it go!

7. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

I will add this: I played a SS22 at the store, just to see if I was missing something or if the model might fit my lower volume needs better.

It sounded good, sounded like my SS112 in vintage with the attenuator on at the same volume levels. Altho I had to turn it up to 8-9 to get the tubes to overdrive like mine.

The thing that struck me about it tho was how cheap it looked compared to mine. The tolex was thin and lumpy in places, the grill cloth wasn't that shiny rich thick looking material, the face plate was the same brown plastic mine has but the printing was sloppy and the numbers looked really cheap, too big version of helvetica. The blonde knobs were not the same quality of plastic either. It didn't have kick back legs and had rubber feet instead of the metal sliders. The back panels were flimsy as all get out. The metal on the chassis looked odd colored in places and thin. All in all it just didn't look as high of quality.

8. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

That avatar is very disturbing, LOL!!

9. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

They make a blonde Deluxe VM now too,bet they share the cheesy cab with the SS 22

10. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

The volume was way too touchy for me...immediately upon cracking the volume, the sound got way loud. Also, it was difficult to get a nice crunchy sound at a lower volume.....which is what I was looking for: good cleans, nice reverb and ability to get a nice crunchy sound at a moderate to low volume.

If you were wondering about the NBKING...it is a nice amp, but very ONE-dimensional.

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Try it out. Personally I'd rather have reverb and trem instead of a high gain channel. The Deluxe takes pedals quite nicely and I can "revoice" the high gain settings by swapping pedals.

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

you're overspending and limiting yourself imho.

I'd rather spend $150 on a Peavey Classic from The 70's and another $100 for a Tech 21 GT2. Truthfully that's all anyone really needs if they're creative.
    You'll have Blackface, Plexi, and Boogie Tones at Your disposal and the inner satisfation of knowing Your Rig is superior sounding and you paid $500 dollars less for better options. The GT2 lines up perfectly with The Classic's Hybrid Pre-Amp so The Tones you'd be getting would actually be superior to any of The Re-Issues and more managable than The Originals (Plexi Bluesbreaker).
    Best Of Luck and never forget that Brian May and Ritchie Blackmore got their signature Tones on a beer budget too and not from some "Tone Guru" who charged them an arm and a leg. :cool:

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ha! I had the "big boy" SS and a BP30 at the same time. Still have the BP30. The SS was great, but the BP30 was better. Most versatile, best-toned amp I've owned. And that includes a Dr.Z (!) Doesn't mean I'm done buying amps, but I sure am having a hard time finding anything that can replace the BP30.

I wondered how the new SS 22 differed (sonically) from the original SSs, and if the 22 was worth looking into since I have the Pearl. I think you may have eased my GAS on this one.

14. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

So why would the 22 be lighter than the DR ?

Lighter speaker ?
    I just assumed they will be the same weight.

15. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

Just felt like bumping this thread.. Anyone got any new insights?

Thanks All...

16. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

I played some custom shop Relic Fender tele's this past weekend through a Supersonic 22 at my local shop. The amp was the one right next to the Tele's, so I plugged in and immediately went "WTF?" This amp sounds reallllly good!

I don't really care much for burn / overdrive channels on most switching amps, so I just played on the clean channel and thought the SS22 had a very convincing Fender clean tone.

I liked it so much that I decided to do some searching here and on TGP. There seems to be a lot of love for the relatively new SS22. I plan to investigate and demo the amp again more pointedly in the near future. I want to find out if its clean channel is better than my limited ed Hotrod Deluxe 1x12 w/Jensen C12N Reissue.

17. ABsound

ABsound NEW MEMBER!

Hi all:
    I would love to know the answer to this question.
    Is there anyone out there in Tele-land that can read a schematic? Know someone who can? This may be a way to see if there is true tube reverb
    Here is the link to Fender to get the SS22 schematic:
    http://www.fender.com/support/articles.php?search=SUPER-SONIC+22+&section=downloads

Here is another question for the techies out there...
    Is there a way to modify a Deluxe Reverb (any issue) to have an effects loop?
    That would be a way to approach the issue from behind, since that (for me) is the main appeal of the SS over the DRRI.

18. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

I checked out the schematics.. Looks like true tube drive and recovery for the reverb and tube drive but SS recovery for the FX loop....

19. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

VG and all the other gear rags always give stellar reviews even of the crappiest gear. They know who pays their advertising dollars, they are not going to pizz off a manufacturer/advertiser with anything less than a stellar review. They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

If you want a real review, get it from somewhere that has no financial entanglements with the manufacturer.

20. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

SS recovery on the FX loop is fine, as the FX themselves are SS anyway. One more op-amp in the signal chain won't make any difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.