Fender Deluxe Reverb RI vs. Super Sonic 22

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pjmuck, Jan 5, 2011.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck TDPRI Member

I had purchased a Deluxe Reverb RI back in May for the obvious choice of wanting classic Fender clean tones in a smallish yet powerful amp for small club dates. I had planned on doing some various upgrades to it (i.e. swap out speaker, change preamp tubes, etc) to eliminate some of the top end shrillness to it, before recently reading as much info as I could about the Super Sonic 22. Both are approximately the same price. I am seriously thinking about "upgrading" to it, since it offers a gain channel, effects loop, channel switching, and more versatility.

Up until now I had been running a handful of effects pedals through it, but my main effects rack is a Boss GT Pro and I'd like to be able to use that as I had before with my Rivera Rake. I've run the GT Pro before through the front of the DR amp with mixed results, and can still get decent sounds on many patches, but I really think an effects loop might be a better overall option, even if the Super Sonic doesn't seem to offer effects level control (I can at least adjust levels in the GT Pro). My plan is to try one out tomorrow and compare the two with my '52 RI Tele, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Has anyone moved from a Deluxe Reverb RI to a Super Sonic 22, and if so what are your thoughts? Is there anything the DR offers (other than the vibrato effect) that I can't get with the Super Sonic? I almost never use channel 1 on my DR anyway, so it would be nice to have a second channel with that 2nd gain stage option as well. How would you compare the DR Jensen to the Super Sonic's Eminence? Is there less shrillness out of the box?

Thanks

2. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Drri everytime for this guy.

3. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

I thought about these 2 and have settled on the DR. I think for classic Fender tone it's got to be the DR but it depends on you. The OD channel on the Supersonic is pretty heavy, not old school at all. Depends on what you are playing.

You need to A/B them together if possible.

DR for me.

4. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

Nice avatar by Tele-monster there. Taking the old Fender 'You won't part with yours' ads a step further.

5. pjmuck

pjmuck TDPRI Member

Yeah, not really looking for heavy, though definitely more of a classic rock 70's vibe (Zep, Stones, maybe AC/DC, etc.) But I have heard demos online and it seems like it can do crunch if needed.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

pjmuck wrote: "Is there anything the DR offers (other than the vibrato effect) that I can't get with the Super Sonic?"

True tube reverb....the Super Sonic has solid state reverb, if I not mistaken. I know its big brother SuperSonic is soid state in the reverb circuit.

7. Robsocal

Robsocal Tele-Meister

I'd opt for the DRRI, and use a good OD pedal or tubescreamer when you need that extra push over the cliff.

8. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

My SS-22 has a true reverb tank. It's on the bottom of the amp case. It's a spring tank that is standard with the Amp. It's built by Accutronics.

Regarding DR .vs. SS... Harmony Central has a nice review fwiw.
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/344823

9. Wally

Frank, a spring reverb tank is not the issue. The issue is whether or not the reverb drive and reconvery is done in the tube domain or in solid state circuitry. IF the SS 22 is like its big brother, the reverb is solid state circuitry.
    An experienced ear will hear the difference. IF one wants that 'wet and warm' tube Fender reverb, then the SS 22 is probably not going to yield it. Solid state reverb is cold and harsh....to an experienced ear. What someone likes is another question and is totally subjective.

10. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Solid state reverb still has the tank in the cabinet, but the driver is solid state. It's not saying that it's a chip based reverb. The tube reverb has a cleaner, warmer sound. That said, the solid state reverbs are pretty nice too.

Still, I lean toward the DRRI too though the Super Sonic is an attractive modern design. Let us know what you settle on.

11. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

One learns something new every day. Thank you.

12. Flewis

Flewis Tele-Holic

I would choose the DRRI over the super sonic, for all of the above reasons, and resale value, incase in the future you ever decide to sell it - they sell up this way fairly cheap used - The DRRI even a few years old will still get a good buck

13. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

I would have a tendency to lean towards the SS22, and I like vintage sounds. To me, the SS22 is not so much a hopped up DRRI, but more like a reissue of the old Deluxe Reverb II. And that's my all-time fave amp!

14. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

The SS received a stellar review a few issues back in Vintage Guitar. Either one seems like a keeper!!

15. Wally

Yeah, that is why I don't take Vintage Guitar anymore. When they compared my immaculate 1938 Gibson Advanced Jumbo---in particular with in-hand experience at a show in Dallas---- to the modern Reissues, I knew that they had become something other than a 'vintage guitar' magazine. ;)
    I have played some very good AJ RI's, but I have never picked one up that put out sound like that '38.

16. ReIgnition

ReIgnition Tele-Meister

I like the 22, sounds good, and it's not as heavy as the drri...

maybe it's not better, or worse... just different.

17. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Like many on this forum I would also choose the DRRI, but in your case, with your needs, I would recommand the Super Sonic 22. If you want to rely on your multiFX the effect loop is a must have and then you have the gain channels for your driven sound.

18. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Having owned the SS 60 watt,the reverb worked fine for my needs,and the overdrive was usefull,if not the greatest.In all the reviews of the SS 22,they all have stated the the sound got farty when turned up,maybe try and find some of the reviews?I did like the ss 60,but I ended up trading for a guess what?A DRRI! I would try and play one of the ss22 at near stage volume if I was gonna consider one.THE 60 watt was a nice rig for live use,but I never got it past 4 on the volume,happy hunting!

19. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

When the Super Sonic 22 was getting ready to come out, I read all the reviews and thought for SURE that it would be the amp I wanted to get to replace my dreaded Randall NBKING112.
    I finally found one in stock at Mass Music in Lawrence, KS and picked up a telecaster off the wall above the Super Sonic 22 and plugged in....boy, was I ever disappointed! I knew within one minute that I would NOT be purchasing one.

I ended up buying a Genz Benz BP112 (new, at 60% OFF of list). I could not be happier with my decision. The Genz Benz is the most versatile, best sounding low(er) wattage amp I have ever had. Effects Loop, Reverb (granted, not Fender reverb), switchable wattage levels from 8-15-30, Boost Footswitch, and a tone pallet switch that tailors the sound to both humbuckers and single coils. GREAT CLEANS...nice vintage "dirt" when you want it.

And, icing on the cake: The Genz Benz BP112 was so (relatively) inexpensive that I was able to trade off the dreaded Randall NBKING112 and replace it with a Parker Dragonfly.

I'd still like to get a DRRI (someday)...but it won't be replacing the Genz Benz....that thing is a definite KEEPER.

20. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Can you expand on this a little?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.