Fender Deluxe Reverb killers

slider313

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Shouldn't the later ones use 7591s? The 450 volt higher power pentodes? Thars the usual reason given for them not being more desirable/highly rated as a collectible.

Yes, later version Reverberocket amps used 7591 and 7868 power tubes. 7591's have been available from JJ and Tung Sol for quite some time now. NOS 7868's are available and are not super expensive in matched pairs. All versions of the Reverberocket's run the power tubes in the 360v range and are cathode biased. Later versions using 7591 or 7868 tubes were somewhat cleaner and less compressed. As far as not being as collectable, there are plenty of vintage amps running 6V6's that are not so desirable or collectable.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
You have to go back to 1964 to find an amp that’s better than a Deluxe Reverb? I’d say that’s a pretty good argument for the DR.
Well, the issue is that these lower wattage but cleaner amps were only made by a few companies over a period of roughly 15 years (1953-1968), and when Ampeg got bought out and transitioned to their own silverface line, they got a lot hotter and more aggressive. Companies figured out that their target audience was rock musicians around 68 and started making beefy, loud, dirty amps.

Around 1995-2010, smaller boutique amps starting coming back into fashion. That means that we only have realistically two periods of genuinely good small and clean amps. I could mention the Ampeg Gemini I and II as well, someone else mentioned the Vibroluxe, and if we include lower wattage heads, I'd like to put forth the Tremoluxe as well.

sirshackleton

Tele-Meister
Seriously. View attachment 1018943

Louder. Cleaner. Meaner. More dynamic. Great overdrive. Great reverb. MID knob. Lighter. 2 speakers.

I think there's room for debate on a JC being a Deluxe Reverb killer, but my late-80s JC55 (which I think is the equivalent of the modern JC40) constantly surprises me with how reliably excellent it sounds in pretty much any situation.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
DR killer??? This will do it.....
Screenshot_20220828-215556~2.png

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
As someone else said, it’s highly subjective! The Deluxe Reverb gets its cachet from being so widely used in studios on so many recordings.
It’s also one of the most copied amps of all time. Now folks are talking about how great the UAFX Dream 65 pedal emulates the revered Deluxe Reverb.

I don’t currently own one although I had a DRRI up until about 7 or 8 years ago.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This won't be for everyone, but a Milkman The Amp through a 1x12 cabinet sounds amazing, is flexible, versatile, light, and has good reverb and tremolo and a headphone jack. It is the only amp I find myself using anymore.

View attachment 1018879
Based on The Benson amp. I have this, and it's very good, but I've considered The Milkman

KeepItSimpleTele

Tele-Meister
My favourite Deluxe Reverb killer is a Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate Reverb. 20-25 watts, Accutronics long reverb tank, amazing tremolo, and a single 12" speaker (the Traynor is a closed back combo..but can easily be made to a semi open). Two el84 output section, lots of clean headroom, but the overdrive is heavenly when it's pushed. Hand wired with mustard caps and build road tough as well. $500-$700 used which ia a steal. Amps were made 1968-1979 in Canada.

Traynor YGM.jpg

Last edited:

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Premise rejected.
Egg-zactly. I don’t know where OP is finding these amps for $300, but it’s not on Reverb, eBay or Marketplace.

Also

Cheaper and will hold value substantially better - Source? If you look on Reverb, eBay and Marketplace, the Deluxe Reverb holds is value very well.

May come with a vintage Jensen speaker worth ~$200 - and may not

Louder and cleaner - possibly

When it breaks up, it sounds better than a DRRI - that’s totally subjective

Tubes last longer - Souce?

More solidly built - what’s your criteria? I’ve had my DRRI since the 90’s and it’s been in the shop once.

Needs less maintenance and is cheaper+easier to repair - Again, you source? How is one tube amp cheaper or easier to repair than another? That doesn’t make sense.

It's a cool collection piece - so is a DRRI, which is why it’s in so many collections. ;-)

Sorry, but your premises are just opinions. Nothing wrong with an opinion, but it’s not a fact and doesn’t really prove anything.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
No experience but i would think the Traynor YCV20 would give it a run. Just saw keepitsimple post…..there ya go…ive got a YBA1 and it kills everything lol.

Bobbyoso

TDPRI Member
Mesa Maverick, .22, and .22+ amps have great clean channels, far more gain and midrange than a DR when you want it, easily dialed out when you don't, and the lead channels are very versatile. They are built well, and the .22s are louder than a DR; the Maverick is ~as loud as a Bassman.

tedro

Tele-Afflicted
Pros for DRRI:
Come with individual tone controls
Easier and faster to sell
Easier to find info on it if you want to repair it yourself
You can fit in with the sheeple who hate everything that isn't a DRRI
5 year warranty?

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
5 year warranty?
As soon as that 5 year warranty is up, the amp is gonna fail. The filter caps are completely prone to failure in a short period of time. The resistors will burn the PCB as well.

Egg-zactly. I don’t know where OP is finding these amps for $300, but it’s not on Reverb, eBay or Marketplace.

Also

Cheaper and will hold value substantially better - Source? If you look on Reverb, eBay and Marketplace, the Deluxe Reverb holds is value very well.

May come with a vintage Jensen speaker worth ~$200 - and may not

Louder and cleaner - possibly

When it breaks up, it sounds better than a DRRI - that’s totally subjective

Tubes last longer - Souce?

More solidly built - what’s your criteria? I’ve had my DRRI since the 90’s and it’s been in the shop once.

Needs less maintenance and is cheaper+easier to repair - Again, you source? How is one tube amp cheaper or easier to repair than another? That doesn’t make sense.

It's a cool collection piece - so is a DRRI, which is why it’s in so many collections. ;-)

Sorry, but your premises are just opinions. Nothing wrong with an opinion, but it’s not a fact and doesn’t really prove anything.
The reissue Reverberockets are $300, these are $800.

I'm not saying they don't hold value, I'm saying that there's a theoretically infinite supply of DRRIs, and while demand is steady, you're losing 300 as soon as you buy it new. Used, if you get a good deal, you'll break even. For a R12R at a good price, given that vintage amp (and especially vintage low-mid wattage combo) prices are rising, you could break even immediately or make some money in the long run.

The tubes last longer because the bias is set horribly on most DRRIs, and the 7591 tubes in the Ampeg R12Rs were built a long time ago and are built stronger and for higher voltages.

And may not? What does that mean? I said may in my post, that implies a degree of uncertainty. You'll know when you've got a Jensen speaker immediately if you want to buy it.

It's easier to repair because it's a PTP handwired amp and everything is easily reachable on the board. A PCB is harder because you have to remove it from the amp, flip it over, disconnect connector, and only then can you work on it. That can take 15-30 minutes easily. It'll last longer because for the person to be selling it as working perfectly, the original electrolytics must have been replaced. The electrolytics in a brand new DRRI have a lifespan of roughly 3-5 years. Any aftermarket electrolytic will last 10-20.

It is louder and cleaner as a fact of science. 7591 tubes output significantly more power than 6V6 tubes, and the 6SL7 and 6SN7 tubes are lower noise preamp tubes.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
The reissue Reverberockets are $300, these are $800.
Not on eBay or Reverb they aren't. I checked before I posted this and I just checked again.

As far as losing value, you can't compare the value lost on a brand new amp with the value lost on a used amp. It's apples and oranges. That differential applies to ANY new amp, it's not specific to DRRI.

As far as the amp failing at 5 years, that's just not true. I don't remember how long I had my amp before it went into the shop for the first time, but it was around 15 years. I think if all the DRRIs were going into the shop at 5 years, we would have heard. ;-) I did a google search and although some people have had some issues AS HAPPENS WITH ALL AMPS, there certainly is no mass failure, at 5 years or thereafter.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to keep the record straight. There's nothing wrong with liking one amp over another, but there's not need to make stuff up.

albertgen

TDPRI Member
The Ampeg reverb ll was the first amp I had back in the mid 60's! It was a nice amp, my Dad bought it for me brand new for 175.00. I liked it but eventually moved up to a 65 Super Reverb then to a Deluxe reverb. Been there ever since. I have had peaveys also but hated them. I recently bought the 64 Deluxe Reverb custom. It is way overpriced but very nice. I never believed I would pay that much but I couldn't stop myself, I wanted old school. Al

cornfed

Tele-Meister
I had a reissue Jet for about,,, 2 seconds, I couldn’t get rid of it quick enough
If my 68 Deluxe and 65 Reverberocket we’re always plugged in and next to each other then for sure the Ampeg would be played more, it gets played more anyway lol 7184B719-F245-4809-9C17-D4AF1031211C.jpeg B980FA36-F94C-4E16-AD1E-626233BDE105.jpeg

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
As soon as that 5 year warranty is up, the amp is gonna fail. The filter caps are completely prone to failure in a short period of time. The resistors will burn the PCB as well.

The electrolytics in a brand new DRRI have a lifespan of roughly 3-5 years. Any aftermarket electrolytic will last 10-20.
Wow. Then it's simply amazing how many thousands of the RI amps have defied this 3-5 year lifespan and are still running strong after a couple decades. What are the odds? Incredible!

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender warranty has been two years for some time now. And yes, there are zillions of reissue amps that are just fine, and have been absolutely beaten to death on the road. In my mind, the reissue series boards are a notch above the Hot Rod series boards, and the hand wired tube sockets eliminate some common complaints about heat.

Nothing at all wrong with a reissue Fender. Oh no, you may have to actually life a circuit board to service them! But they are a very easy service.