1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender deluxe reverb footswitch?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hadenolmsted, Jun 7, 2015.

1. hadenolmsted

hadenolmsted Tele-Meister

Hey guys,
    I was playing some this evening, and when I plugged in my reverb/vibrato footswitch, there was kind of a loud "pop" sound. Could have sworn it sounded less bright afterwards, but maybe it was just me. I was looking at the cable, and as I moved it around while plugged it (moving the TS connector around inside the FS jack) it would make that same pop sound. Now I had unscrewed the reverb switch, as I never ever turn that off. I screwed it back on, and didnt get any of the same sounds. Any ideas? Maybe cause the reverb switch was loose in the footplate?

Amp info:
    Newer Fender DRRI, with replaced caps, output trans. and speaker, as well as a variable negative feedback control. Not sure if this would make much of a difference, but thought it best to include. Amp was serviced at time of mods/upgrades just a few months ago.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it popped when the reverb switch was unscrewed and didn't pop when the reverb switch was screwed back in, I don't think there is any doubt as to the cause.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you never use the reverb switch, get a single button footswitch and a normal guitar cable to operate the tremolo

This can be very convenient if you use a pedal board. (top left)

[​IMG]

4. hadenolmsted

hadenolmsted Tele-Meister

Where did you get that footswitch? Would the fender 1 button switch work?

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. Reverbious

Reverbious TDPRI Member

Another option if you Always want your reverb and tremolo to be turned on, and don't want to carry the footswitch is to get a shunt plug that turns them on. See the classifieds on this site or ebay or reverb and you can buy them already soldered up and ready to go. Or you can make your own...not too hard, just takes time etc. The one below works for '65 Deluxe Reverb Re-issues and '65 Super Reverb Re-issues.

http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds...quot-always-on-quot-plug-for-drri-srri&cat=32

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The reason they footswitch turns the tremolo off is because that deactivates the optocoupler which is a little light that flashes to effect a LDR (light dependent resistor) that causes the tremolo function. Your plug would leave the light bulb on all the time and shorten the life of the optocoupler.

8. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Ah, now I know the reason the BF models need a footswitch to activate the trem. Learn something everyday here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.