1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender DeLuxe 85 - did I score?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tuuur, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

I was looking for a smaller amp than my Bassman 100 plus 4 12 cab, or my Kustom tuck n roll 150 plus 4 12 cab, and today pulled the trigger on a second hand USA made Fender Deluxe 85, for 150 euros.

It's not pristine; two jack inputs have the plastic broken (but still function) and some pots are somewhat creaky.

Well, this thing sure is loud! Couldn't get the volume very much past 1. Toyed a bit with the dirty channel and the boost, which at home didn't impress me that much. But I have a Bad Monkey anyways, so no problem with that.

Pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broken, but still functioning channel 1 input:
    [​IMG]

Broken, but still functioning footswitch input:
    [​IMG]

2. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Nice score. I'm going to look at one here in the US next week after I get back from vacation for $150 off craigslist.

Glad to hear it does the job well!

3. Strawfields

Strawfields Tele-Holic

i own one of these and they're great .. you can usually pick them up for $200 or £100

They were made in the mid -eighties.

Jonny greenwood from radiohead uses one combined with a Vox AC30 as standard live set-up.

[​IMG]

Good Score !!

4. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Quick question - what are the amp's dimensions? I'm wondering if it will fit in my current road case...

5. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Dimensions are approx:

23 cm - 9.06 inches deep
    53 cm - 20.87 inches wide
    44 cm - 17.32 inches high

Strawfields: Great info on Johnny's sound! I always thought he uses a Kaoss pad as well (the end solo of Go To Sleep seems to be):

6. Strawfields

Strawfields Tele-Holic

He probably does now .. the set up I posted was for the first 3 albums I think?

I know Matt bellamy from Muse uses a Kaos pad in his Manson custom Tele..

a bit like this one

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It's in great shape. Congratulations. I used to have one of those. Nice score!

8. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info! Should fit perfectly. It's about the same size as my Fender Stage 112

9. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

jonny uses his Shredmaster through the clean channel of the 85 for that super distorted/fuzz tone he got on their older albums. It seems like he's using the SD-1 AC30 combo more these days though.

10. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

Not bad! That's about $220 USD. They are definitly loud amps. If you get the sound you want out of your pedals, that will sure do the job for ya. A lot less for you to carry too! Have Fun.

11. houseman

houseman TDPRI Member

hey Tuur

Could you post or send me a picture of the cable needed for the footswitch. Or does anyone know which cable to order (in the local music store they couldn't find it...)

I bought a deluxe as well, but the cable was missing and a normal guitar cable doesn't work...

thanks!

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Houseman,

If I'm not mistaken, the Deluxe 85 uses the same cables that all the other Fender amps that use that style of switch use-try a speaker cable (it can be a real light one) instead of a guitar cable. It's weird, but it seems to need a speaker cable (it only passes voltage, no signal) to function properly.

Franc Robert

13. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

+1 with Franc,

Uses a standard speaker cable from footswitch to amp. Good thing is, you can use any length that you need for stage use, and can be easily replaced!

14. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Took some pictures of the footswitch, I hope it clarifies things a bit...

Cable looks like generic mono jack plugged cable to me; I tried it with a speaker cable and an instrument cable, and both worked fine.

[​IMG]

p/n 028148 A

[​IMG]

Resistors are probably just there for the leds

[​IMG]

15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if it is important that your amp is small and loud - you scored. But it's hard for me to imagine that that amp is ever gonna sound even close to as good as a Bassman 100 through a decent 4x12. I used to have that setup, and it was marvelous.

16. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

I bought it when I joined a mostly small bars playing folk band. I was kicked out of that band very sudden and unceremoniously; I still don't really know why. After that I haven't played it much anymore. I't stands in the living room but it's too loud for home use. Now I got a free Fender Bullet and the Deluxe goes in storage.

In the other bands I play in it's mostly a Kustom 150 with a 4x12 that I use.
    But I have a Bassman 100 plus diamond 4x12 here as well... and I love it for bass. Never used it for guitar, I'll try that next time at the rehearsal!

Here it is on the right, next to my buddy's Quad Reverb.

[​IMG]

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

tuuur - I used mine for bass too - that was about 27 years ago! Before that I had a guitar rig with a BF Bassman and 4x12, and it was superb.

18. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

A friend has a promo picture of Bruce Cockburn using one of those amps--it was sitting on an appropriately sized road case, so it can't be too bad. If he had a rocket launcher, it would be toast, otherwise.

19. youlivein1984

youlivein1984 NEW MEMBER!

deluxe 85 speaker replace

hi, i have a deluxe 85 too but i have to replace the speaker, and i'd like to keep the original sound of this amplifier (or almost as similiar as possible).
    do you have any advices? thanks
    and please indicate also the technicals of each speaker.
    thanks to you all again.

20. polymolly

polymolly Tele-Meister

He doesn't use a kaoos pad on this one. It is the signal being fed through a Laptop running a patch on Max/MSP. He uses a kaoos pad though, but to manipulate Thom's voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSpJEuNZxIk&feature=related

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.