1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Cyber Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 53 Esquire, Nov 12, 2003.

1. 53 Esquire

53 Esquire TDPRI Member

Anyone have one or have an opinion re the Fender Cyber series?

2. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Dog poop.

3. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

4. joe c

joe c Tele-Meister

:rolleyes: I have a Cyber Twin I like very much. I can get many nice tones out of it from clean to dirty Tweed to Blackface. Tremo can't get a nice tone out of them so he cuts them down and calls them poop. I guess you like them or you don't.>joe

5. rb.jr

rb.jr Tele-Meister

My son has one and I think it sounds great(although he is selling it to buy a deluxe).With tweaking on the presets you can get some good tones.The dirty thirty with a little tape echo is sweet.Before any purist jump on me,I play through a HRBD w/410s' but I think the cyber series is perhaps better suited for studio than live application.My son and his band have been recording in N'ville using a seasoned engineer and he has used it for several guitar tracks along with some cool vintage amps.THIS IS JUST MY OPINION NOT THE GOSPEL. :)

6. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I personally don't like modeling amps. I have heard a lot of them however. The Vox Valvetronix series KILLS the Fender Cyber series. At least listen to those side-by-side with the Fender before deciding.

7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

I also have a CyberTwin that I LOVE. I did not play the CyberDeluxe, so I can't comment on it. Major difference between them is 2 preamp tubes in the CT, no tubes in the CD. There's lots of discussion (both positive and negative) about them over on the FDP if you want more opinions. Seems to be a love it or hate it subject.

Try it, you might like it. 8)

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a hopeless vintage guy...

bit I'd rather play something that sounds good
    than something that won't. therefor I keep an
    open mind for certain forms of the newer
    technologies. modeling is fine in my book,
    I have heard my son on one and he sounded
    decent (he could have bought it but he's waiting
    for a 68-69 Twin). His "Uncle" Dave The Dude has
    the Behringer 2X10 Combo and he brings that out
    instead of his Brown Fender(s). That Behringer
    really sold me on the new technology and I will get
    one 'cause they seem built like a brickhowse and
    who wants to bring something totally cool into a room
    packed with drunks carryin' pitchers back from the bar.?

9. blind radish

blind radish Tele-Meister

Vox

If you are not going to buy tube, get the vox valvetronix 212 over the cyber deluxe

The vox has a tube preamp w/ a/b switching AND variable output control 2/15/30/60 watt output.

I bought one and I have to tell you, I knocks the dust off the concrete walls in my basement, and, you can get a great slapback setting ....

I have played the cyber twin and the cyber deluxe -- a/b'd them v.s Fender in the soundproof room at GC .... VOX man, Vox

10. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

The Vox Valvetronix has a 12AX7 'POWER' tube

It does NOT have a tube preamp. All the preamp and effects are all solid state from Korg lineage. The claim to fame for the Valvetronix series is an actual tube (12AX7) in the 'output stage'. It uses the 12AX7 to get the real dynamics of an output stage coupled with a small transformer. The transformer then just drives a solid state speaker driver. This is the source of the tone improvement of the VOX compared to the competition. Besides being a tube output...this stage is configurable via program control to recreate the output stages of famous amps. It's much more than modelling. Most of the tone characteristics of a tube amp are largely due to the tube output stage couple with a transformer and speaker.

check out these links for more info

http://www.valvetronix.co.uk/
    http://www.valvetronix.co.uk/valvereactor.htm

11. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

I use one since almost a year and I'm very very happy with it at least for home recordings. Don't make your opinion about that amp just by trying the factory presets at the store.

It has no tubes, and an analog pre-amp.

Home recording is a hobby for me as I'm not a professional recording engineer. But I play guitar for 35 years and I played with lots of Fender amps. The Cyber-Deluxe gives me the satisfaction to play with them again, and play with other amps brand that I can't offord!

Also, It has a lot of power and the build-in effects are very good. I like to use my computer midi interface (the sound card) to remote control the cyber-deluxe or to store a lot of presets for further use. (patches)

Sure it's an amp for the "open-minded" guitar player. But if you ask opinions, that is because you're interested to read objectives opinions about it. Tubes purists, to often, speak before and try after! I tried it, and bought it!

I have a little web site where you can listen to some of the mp3 I did with.

Here is the link: http://www.stratquebec.com
    And here is my last short mp3 not published yet on my sitehttp://www.download.stratquebec.com/ClaptonTrouble.mp3

Finaly, here is a link to another forum where you can read one of my post about a method on how to try that amp.
    http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=327356

StratQuebec+

12. hippietim

hippietim Friend of Leo's

My vote goes to the Vetta II

I got mine last month and am still tinkering but so far it sounds really, really, amazing.

The first step is to build a patch from scratch. The presets are horrible. Most are unusable. I was starting to regret the purchase at first.

The problem with the presets on most modeling gear is they were designed by someone with a different guitar and technique than you and is being pressured by some marketing guy to make sure that every "feature" is utilized in at least one patch. Unfortunately, that usually means you get one, maybe two decent patches. Actually, the Vetta II presets seem particularly bad - the PODxt was much better.

Anyway, once I've spent more time with the amp I'll post more details.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.