fender custom strat pickups. weird bridge ... 230kOhm

meigo1234

TDPRI Member
hey there,
thanks for checking in.

in a sandberg strat I have fender custom strat pus. neck and middle work fine. BUT the bridge pickup sounds way off. not the usual ... less bass, more bite. but it sound like totally without bass. very low volume.
maybe like pus out of phase sound. i am a little confused.
I already tried switching the wiring on the bridge pu. soldering the black cable to the switch and the white to the volume pot cap. but it didnt change.

the value is way off: 230kOhm.

do broken pickups sound and act like that?
or is it possible that somewhere else in the electronics it makes the bridge pu change the resistance value?

the wiring is actually good quality, artys 5-Way Prewired Kit Stratocaster CRL Switch 47nF - 0,047uF 250k Pots (Single Coil Standard).

can a wrong tone cap change the sound and kOhm of only the bridge pu?

thanks for any help!
all the best
michael

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
it's probably broken, maybe part of the coil is shorted or something. Switch the wires between in and the neck pickup on the switch to see if it's the pickup or the circuit. Or just wire it right to the jack to test it. Should be pretty easy to test, if you have a soldering iron and even easier if you have a couple of alligator clips.

meigo1234

TDPRI Member
ahhh. found the culprit.

unfortunately the winding has been damaged and cut ...

i will try to resolder the new end. hope it works.

thanks for help on that! ; )
any hints?

20220518_080304.jpg

meigo1234

TDPRI Member
hello

thanks for your input.

i guess the copper wiring is damaged pretty deep ... the white solder point is the end I guess. tried to unwind the copper wire to a point where it is not shorted ... but I cant find the "end" of the wiring. tried resoldering the supposed end several times after unwinding again ... 30 turns, etc. but no reading on the multimeter.

guess i will try to sell it as broken for some bucks. and get a new one.