Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton Crossroads Blind Faith Telecaster

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by tlsmack, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Maybe that’s how to sell my Tele custom partscaster; swap neck w maple Strat relic’d one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tlsmack likes this.
  2. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

It most certainly would be a "Blind Faith" investment counting on getting a future ROI!

RLee77 likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The Firebird you see is a non reverse one the cheaper model and it was played by Stevie Winwood that was his guitar- he played in in Traffic

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I love that concert, it was EC re-inventing himself on the spot. But 12 grand? Maybe 3 grand, even then, not for me. Plus, it looks like it's all scratched up.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Hyde Park music....and I have been a Blind Faith fan from the get go all those decades ago. I like the cleaner aspect of what Clapton did that day in the park. The studio version of In the 0resence is much overdriven, way-wah’d big time. In my experience, it is far easier to nit pick fine pints of a cleanly played passage than when the distortion and effects are going on. Ommv..

And...in no way would I give that kind of money for that CS guitar unless about $10K of it was earmarked to go to the Crossroads facility...and of course, I would have to have kind of money to spend on a guitar. If a large portion of it were to go to that facility and was a tax-deductible charitable expense, that would make the price easier to swallow. But yeah...build one for under &1k...easily.

nojazzhere and RodeoTex like this.
  6. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Love Blind Faith and Clapton's playing on the album, in fact my favorite album for a number of years. IMO very different from what came before and after with interesting, not so blues oriented phrasing. I'm glad that the short-lived band was captured on film for posterity but the performance, to say nothing of the horrible editing of the film, leaves much to be desired. Steve's voice wasn't at its best that day (and you can tell he knew it) and Clapton looks like he'd rather be anywhere but on that stage. I'm not aware of any other video of the band so if for nothing else it's an important work. I played the grooves off that album and any time I hear it I'm immediately transported back to 1969, a very dynamic year for music. On another note, would it have killed Eric to at least have faked some genuine interest in the Custom Shop release of the Blind Faith guitar by actually using a pick and noodling a line from "Had to Cry Today" instead of the quarter-hearted "bluz" licks he sparsely throws in. At $12K another wall hanging work of art, as was the Dragon Tele, playable but not made for playing IMO.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

On the Fender video they didn't even bother to mic Eric's amp. That's how they treat the elderly these days.

8. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I bought this one in 2012 from Ikebe music shop in Tokyo (That's what they call an Ikebe Original, a limited run of Fender Japan, '57 Strat neck, '62 Tele custom body and Vintage PUs, no fake relicing).
    DSCN0279a.jpg

9. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oh, and I didn't mention that the price was something like US $800...

nojazzhere, tlsmack and Wally like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yeah, any instrument in that price range isn’t being made for me or people in my financial demographic.

It’s based on an interesting guitar, from a seminal era of EC’s career, but this is really only for the wealthy Clapton enthusiast...

...and don’t read that as a criticism; I am more than happy for anybody who is able to help keep Fender and the Custom Shop in business...but *IF* I were ever wealthy enough to pay $12k for a guitar, it would be a one-of-a-kind instrument made solely to my specs, not a recreation of something that one of my favorite guitarists played for a while then disassembled.

BTW, this opinion is from a pretty big Eric Clapton fan...the first dog we had when my wife and I got married was named Clapton!

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Beautiful grain!

Slann likes this.
  13. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

In past years, FCS have done a couple of these but not for quite a while and never with an official "Blind Faith" moniker/endorsement attached to it. I have to believe that the FCS put a moratorium on this build and probably in anticipation of just such a release as this 2019 Crossroads Collection. I have a Mark Kendricks Masterbuilt from 2002, which I purchased from the original owner years back (fading memory!!!). Mine doesn't have the neck relic-ing as the current FCS release and the body color on mine leans a bit more to the chocolate brown side...

[​IMG]

14. Steve T

Steve T TDPRI Member

I can never see the point of this sort of guitar. The original isn’t around, and it’s essentially a partscaster for £10000. I feel the same about the Jimmy Page Dragon Tele, the original doesn’t even exist in its original form any more so how can it be recreated? I love Teles for what they are, not because somebody else played one. I can’t help think these are just Dentist Specials, even though I guess they’ll be great guitars.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

Pretty cool - love Teles with binding, just my $.02

16. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Didn't EC say he hated that guitar?

Slann likes this.
  17. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

If you watch the Hyde Park concert, this isn't the best sound from a Fender that EC used, but outside early Yardbirds, I haven't seen other Teles in his hands. $12K is unreasonable, it should be 1/10 that price.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. JimB

JimB TDPRI Member

see? I'm not the only one that isn't particularly fond of Tele necks lol

19. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

I was at the Hyde Park gig. The PA systems weren’t great in those days and were particularly poor for outdoor shows. I think that the Telecaster was a good choice as it cut through the mix and could be easily heard. Many in the audience would have preferred Eric to have turned up with a Gibson and launched into a series of old Cream tunes but he was turning a new page and the Telecaster was part of it.

nojazzhere and Wally like this.
  20. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

3 day return period — lol. In other words, “we know this is a hinky FCS offering, a simple partscaster we threw together with our surplus strat necks, and once you hold it we know you’re probably going to regret spending that 12k, especially if the wife finds out...”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.