Fender Custom Shop Customer Care???

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by h2oman12, May 12, 2021.

1. h2oman12

h2oman12 TDPRI Member

This is my '63 Custom Built Tele. Ordered it in January '20 and received it end of August '20. The body had a gouge on the bottom edge and a bent 4-way switch so it went back to FCS under warranty and is still there 8 months later. Was told when I sent it back that it would be 90-120 days to repair or replace. Have been told that it was going to be completed in January and then told April. It's now been 240 days with the latest estimate for completion in late June. I do know that a new body was ordered in November and I've been told twice (3 months apart) that it's in the paint shop. I've been given multiple completion dates with no apparent reason why the date keeps moving. Neither me, my dealer, or even FMIC Customer Service in Scottsdale can get an answer on this. Any of you had issues with getting information from FCS or had warranty work that's taken this long to complete? Or maybe someone from FCS is on this thread and can provide a viable answer to why it's taking 9 months to complete warranty work on my Tele? Hugely disappointed in FCS' customer service. Seems that FCS' Customer Care Principles don't mean a thing.
    FCS 63 Tele.jpg

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Hate to say this but EVERYTHING is behind and screwed up at this point

Most of the regular rules/expectations are out the window

Long wait times to be expected for a while in most industries, guitar manufacturing being no different

It sucks but in the situation it’s understandable, maybe not forgivable but understandable

Telekarster, sunking101 and h2oman12 like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Everything is behind, but given the price tag, I wouldn't be as understanding.

My Frenzel was delayed twice. Itll probably be here in a week, I paid in February, and it cost less than a grand. As much clout as FCS should have, and thier price, would lead me to expect far better from them than what you describe.

I think to make it right they need to stuff your case full of strings and pedals before it comes back. About 20 sets of strings and 6 pedals would make me talk highly of them after such an experience.

4. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard TDPRI Member

as stated above, both Fender (and Gibson) Custom shops are easily 3-6 months behind schedule/back ordered. I've dealt with both since 12/19.
    However, in your case, your repair/replacement should absolutely be put in the forefront. The fact that you're getting the runaround is truly frustrating.
    Hopefully, you get some resolution sooner, than later

Telekarster and h2oman12 like this.
  5. Duncan

Duncan Tele-Meister

I would also ask your dealer to get a hold of the Regional Sales Rep and relay the problem. The rep should know who to call and hopefully get some answers.

VillainSean likes this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Well... all I can say is you're a lot more patient than I would've been. Someone would've been giving me a refund months ago. I mean... c'mon.... It shows up with a gouge and bent switch??? Shipped in a case??? No.... something is just not right here. Very hard for me to believe that it left Fender that way, especially from the CS. Was there some sort of "middle man" handling going on here before it got to you?

VillainSean likes this.
  7. michael_o

michael_o TDPRI Member

Two or three years ago, so before current covid delays, i had an issue with picguard on my new CS tele. As im in Europe, i prefered not to send the guitar back to USA. They agreed and decided to send me a new picguard. It took 3 or 4 months.. and it arrived bent and with the same issue (not deburred edges on aluminum, i cut myself deep while anchoring finger while picking). I contacted them about this and after 2 months or so i got another pickguard. It wasn't deburred as well, and it wasn't reliced at all, which made it different color completely.

When conftonted, they said if i dont like aluminium i can order different material, extra cost.

I decided to drop the case. Took a file, and fixed sharp edges myself in 10minutes.

So, not the best experience on my side... Guitar is great, tho ;)

h2oman12 likes this.
  8. h2oman12

h2oman12 TDPRI Member

Thanks! I’ve been assured by my dealer that they contacted everyone right up to the head of the Custom Shop.

9. h2oman12

h2oman12 TDPRI Member

I think it happened in shipping. When the case was opened at the dealer, it was noticed that the top hat was broken, so the dealer replaced the plastic switch. When I opened it at home, I found half of the top hat was still in the case and believe the hard, broken piece of plastic is what gouged the body.
    I’ve put up with it because I don’t want a refund, I want the guitar.

Telekarster likes this.
  10. h2oman12

h2oman12 TDPRI Member

Custom Shop has promised me a set of handwound Custom Shop pups for my trouble. Well, that’s a start.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm still having trouble understanding how that happened, especially with the knobs right there to offer a sort of protection even if it took an impact from outside forces on the case. Also, the box it was shipped in surely would've shown evidence as well I would've thought. An impact of that magnatude capable of collapsing that HSC enough to do the damage, one would think the case itself would've been damaged and the box would've/should've shown similar damage in the area in question, proving it happened in shipping. I find it hard to believe that CS would've shipped that guitar in its case without adequate internal packing material to safeguard against such an impact as well. Water under the bridge at this point but, IMO, the dealer should not have touched it at all but rather should've left it to you to open the box and inspect i.e. was not their responsibility to try to repair it, good intentions though they were. I'd think the box would've told a story all by itself, even before being opened, giving you the first look thereby removing themselves from the equation. This is what I would've done if I were them anyway. FWIW.

Anyway, wasn't there and only going based on what you've said, but just hard for me to believe this was Fender's fault IMO, but sounds like they're trying to make it right with you any way so... it's all good, and hope you have better luck this time! Post us some pics when you get it ;)

12. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

My Squier Paranormal Jazz Bass arrived in perfect condition from Yandis Music in Grand Island Nebraska. Was in the Fender box inside a guitar shipping box with some dunnage to stabilize it. Paid $350.00 for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.