1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender custom Shop "Buckocaster" Pics

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TerryOz, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Tele-Meister

Hard to say.
    Like I said, something's amiss on all three. It would be interesting to see pics of the insides (routes, neck pockets, butt of necks, etc) to see how they are marked / routed.
    Could have been made at the FCS, but doubtful they were finished there or shipped with those certs. Would be nice to know the date of 0489.

ME

2. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

Neck heel.

Attached Files:

3. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

0489 coa dated 08/26/93

4. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Fake! Is that on official Fender take?

Hi Mike, Thanks for getting back on this, although I think that we need more info if possible...
    Without sounding like a "Vulture Circling" and not wanting to either, I would think that given the poor records from some guitar companies over the years and the near excellent ones from others, I would have thought that Fenders Custom Shop would have a definitive set of records and would expect that you could tell us how many, when and whatever else needed. So IF that is so, I am wondering if you might take the time to check it out...
    Also, I have another of those Gold Sparkles, (unbound as well) with a COA that is handwritten with a Sharpie as well. I must say, that I think to just say "it looks like a fake" is not the sort of thing I would expect from a Fender Custom Shop official. Meaning that I know they aren't, that they are a genuine Fender product, written by someone in your Company, so to have someone from that company say that, is not all that cool:rolleyes:
    By the way, the one sold to A.R Duchoissor 3 weeks ago No 0489, also apparently has a handwritten COA. BTW, no malice intended in this post, but "fake" is a pretty strong and definitive word to use with your own customers and product unless you are absolutely correct when using it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mr. E,
    We are always happy when you lend your expertise to the conversation. I must admit I'm confused. (not hard to do though :lol:) The consecutive certs are close in date (assuming 8-26-93) and although the tops were clearly filled out by different hands, the Page signatures look close to me. Was it common for filled out certs to be given to Mr. Page for his signature? Also, the Hamel signatures on the headstocks look alike to my untrained eye. I'm not sure the VO serial number guitar (without binding) is in the same run. I know the cert I have for my CS guitar from 7-31-92 (which I purchased new) has a hand written top too. (without calligraphy) I know others have been directed to contact the Custom Shop with regards to serial number questions. Is this just a matter of these owners contacting the Custom Shop and having the records checked? Thanks again for your time and expert knowledge.

Attached Files:

6. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

I don't want to be all over you like a cheap suit, but...

Hi Again Mike,
    Just want to comment on and answer a few of the observations/points you have made...As I said without malice

7. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

I'd leave it alone. Like Mike said, inconsistencies in certs are rarely a good thing. Just as well, IMHO the gold sparkle is a little gaudy. The same guitar in champagne sparkle would really tickly my fancy though :D

8. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

There are no inconsistencies.

9. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

If you could show me the inconsistencies...

I think that there are actually NO inconsistencies. But Mike will respond to that i think...
    Yeah, Champagne sparkle would be nice too...:cool:

10. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

I am going to try to contact John Page tomorrow.

11. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Tele-Meister

Page (as well as myself) would sign the certs before the top part is filled out.
    Two "Buckocasters" (a term I would be suspect of, as there was never an agreement with the artist to call them that) a week apart, but one is written 'Tele Buckocaster", and the other is "Gold Buckocaster". One in blue pen, the other in black. Both with Alan Hamel signature above the logo (again, I have never seen that), but the signature (yes identical) seems thicker on the other (might just be the web pic).

I dunno. Seems pretty inconsistent to me. Especially a week apart.

Like I said, I would contact John Page and show him.

I apologize for saying they look fake. Poor descriptive word. Don't mean to ruffle here, just that we see a lot of weirdness sometimes and these don't look like normal things you would see on a FCS cert.

ME

12. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

From a 1992 Fender frontline magazine volume 8

Attached Files:

13. vette08

vette08 TDPRI Member

Just to make it more fun. 0487 is in California built 10/30/1992. Hard to believe you can buy a Custom Shop guitar from a authorized dealer new in the box and find it may not be real?

14. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Tele-Meister

0487 built in 1992?
    0488 and 0489 built a year later?

So, Alan didn't build any guitars for 10 months? Man, now I'm really confused???
    I'm sure John Page can sort it.

ME

15. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

I actually find it very disappointing that the person who fronts the Fender Custom Shop cannot tell us about this model, which is clearly a Fender Product, unless their own Fender Frontline Mag got it wrong, that the same person calls them "fake", based on the handwritten aspect of the C.O.A, when it is actually a fact that nearly all John Page era COA's were handwritten in pen...I will ask once again, can you (Mike) go and check the records out? Rather than answer these questions 'on the fly" the way you have? A lot of us here have invested significant money in CS purchases and it would show some interest as well as being good (or better) PR, instead of what has taken place so far...
    Regards
    TerryO

16. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Tele-Meister

I apologized about the use of the word "fake". I may be wrong here, that is why I have suggested that you show the pics to Page. I was just trying to help, but obviously that is not helping. Sorry I stepped in this.

ME

17. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

This whole thread leaves me speechless.... :eek:

18. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

As Mike Eldred mentioned early on (I'm paraphrasing) "unless it was before my time". Mike can correct me on this part, but these guitars were built before I hired Mike into the shop. as I recall. Fred Stuart made a couple of Buckocasters before Alan did, in fact I think Alan may not have even started at the FCS yet. I recall Fred having to hand make the binding to get the checkerboard size to match the original we had at Fender since 1965 (hanging in my office for many years).

Expecting Mike to know all of these bits of trivial history is absurd... especially history from before he was in the shop...give the guy a break. You can't imagine how many guitars... really cool guitars... have passed though all of our hands during our tenure.

The guitars and COAs look totally legit to me. We always filled them out by hand, and had several different people filling out the COAs over the years... mostly in ball point pen. It was usually the packer that filled out the cert. After some really bad penmanship for certain folks we changed things and had just one person filling them out in more of a caligraphy type fashion.

As Mike also said earlier, I would sign blank COAs and provide them to the packer to fill out when the guitars were finished and packed.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread and see if that info helps on not... I hope it did!

Cheers all... and Happy New Year!

John

PS - Keep smilin' Mike!

19. av8theskies

av8theskies Tele-Meister

Just another tech guy that will be afraid to open their vast knowledge to us all in fear of being jumped for their choice of words..if I were concerned with a coa of any of my guitars I believe I would be dealing directly with the manufacturer...with the help of any professionals needed to clear it all up instead of badgering a helpful guy on a forum.....IMHO

20. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Thanks John for your input...Just a couple of thoughts on what you say about giving Mike a break and it being absurd to expect him to know what happened prior to his time at the Custom Shop. Fact is he stated outright on several occasions that the COA's and guitars were fakes. he didn't say "I don't know about this, as it was before I came to work here", which caused angst to owners of these guitars...Also, the fact that he shouldn't be expected to know all of the guitars that went through, which is quite right, is why I specifically asked if he could check the records that surely must cover this model, rather than say it didn't exist and that there was no handwritten COA's etc..Remember one thing, we are talking about the guy who runs the Fender Custom Shop here.
    Definitely not a hanging offense, but I think we could have expected some decent, informative, info. And yes, keep smiling Mike.
    Compliments of the season!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.