Fender CuNiFe WRHB's - Polarity & Winding Direction

heavyliquid

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

I'd been looking for info on the new Fender CuNiFe wide range humbuckers, so I could check if there would be issues with my planned pickup set. I couldn't find much in the way of technical info, but did see a few posts of other people being confused... so I contacted Fender. Here's what they said:

Thanks for reaching out.

Both are wound counter clockwise. The upper coil is the south side and the lower coil is the north side on both the bridge and neck pickups as well.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

I hope that helps anyone else who's been trying to figure out any possible phase / polarity issues when mixing the new WRHB's with other pickups. Also of use, I found this article on the Fralin site explains things well.

Enjoy!

TimTam

Tele-Holic
Good info the WRHBs. You can always test 'phase' (electrical polarity) of a pickup with the 'screwdriver' test. Easiest with an analog ammeter, but also possible in resistance or voltage modes on a digital multimeter.

But the Fralin website throws terms around rather too loosely for my liking: polarity (in the title, meaning electrical polarity, but they don't say that), "phase" (same as electrical polarity in common guitar usage, but they don't say that), and magnetic polarity. It also implies that you need to know coil winding direction when pairing pickups. Unless you are winding a pickup, you don't; you only need to know its effect. If two pickups are out of phase (heard sonically or measured electrically), you just flip the hot and ground wires on one, without ever needing to know wind direction.